Sandlot

Next New Tiger Manager

Surely McClendon is a choice considering his tenure with the team amongst many other reasons. I'm not for or against him, but I think his name would be near the top when the interview process begins.

Surely McClendon is a choice considering his tenure with the team amongst many other reasons. I'm not for or against him, but I think his name would be near the top when the interview process begins.

Seeing how Leyland became manager, there may not be an interview process. The manager may already have been chosen. Of course, this all assumes that Leyland won't be the manager which is still a big assumption.

I feel, considering this organizations emphasis on loyalty, of which there are numerous examples, that this job is Leyland's until he decides he doesn't want it anymore.

Seeing how Leyland became manager, there may not be an interview process. The manager may already have been chosen. Of course, this all assumes that Leyland won't be the manager which is still a big assumption.

I didn't mean to put any emphasis on the interview process. How about I alter that with "search for a new manager."

The question is seemingly who will be the next manager after Leyland. No timetable.

Ah, yes, you are correct.

Who do you think, Sandlot?

My first choice was... Tommy Brookens. I have since changed my mind. I'm afraid being around Leyland these last few years he would pick up some of Leylands traits. Like the all or nothing 3 run homer. Or his famous "he may run into one".

My opinion is.... after Leyland's gone they should clean house and bring in someone from the outside. I'd like to think we could bring someone in who actually knows what a hit and run is, getting players to bunt more, try to get the guys to move runners along. Yes I know, you have to have the players to do that. But wouldn't be nice to even try in once in a while?

But my main complaint is there seems to be no urgency with some of these guys. They look like robots just going through the motions and show zero emotion. I think the manager has a lot to do with that.

Just my opinion

Brookens will manage some team some day, but probably not if Illitch is the owner. Illitch seems to prefer big names.

I was so hoping, reading the title of the thread, that this was a News Annoucement!

I am just so sick of JL telling his players to go out there and just have fun and enjoy themselves. And there is his continual praise for another team's pitching performance, or managerial prowess, but not taking his players - especially those in offence - into the clubhouse and really chewing strips off them for their lack of performance.

I would think they will go after francona. I doubt iit would be a rookie and he and Maddon seem to be the best name candidates without a team yet for next season.

I was so hoping, reading the title of the thread, that this was a News Annoucement!

I am just so sick of JL telling his players to go out there and just have fun and enjoy themselves. And there is his continual praise for another team's pitching performance, or managerial prowess, but not taking his players - especially those in offence - into the clubhouse and really chewing strips off them for their lack of performance.

Should Leyland tell his players to be miserable instead, and would that make the players more apt to win ball games?

I know Terry Francona, Joe Maddon and (possibly) Mike Scioscia are at the top of everyone's list. But I think Mike ends up in Boston or with the Dodgers, Joe Maddon ends up with the Dodgers, Red Sox or Angels and Tito to the Cubs. (Maddon hasn't signed yet, has he).

Dark horses: Ron Gardenhire, Mike Maddux, Tom Brookens and (don't laugh) Phil Nevin.

Who may be looking for new managers after 2012?

Tampa Bay - Maddon is about to get a big, big payday, but not in Tampa

Boston - Being fired will be the best day of Bobby Valentine's life

Toronto - very disappointing year

Kansas City - they expected more (perhaps too quickly)

LA Angels - They MUST make the playoffs, not the wild card, the playoffs

Minnesota - Gardy is a great manager in an impossible situation

Philadelphia - Even though they haven't given up this year

Chicago Cubs - If Theo can woo a big name, they'll snap one up

LA Dodgers - They want more than they've gotten out of the team. They need a spark.

There are going to be a lot of jobs open this offseason.

Should Leyland tell his players to be miserable instead, and would that make the players more apt to win ball games?

funny you should mention that. Sparky often kept certain players on edge deliberately. Likewise LaRussa. Too much ease in any organization is not necessarily the path to the highest performance. Not that I would necessarily want to work in such an org and too much tension can certainly implode an org eventually -- but I think there an argument to be made that at least in the short term (say a season or two) a little properly applied tension/pressure can increase organizational performance.