ROMAD1

Never any voter fraud, never...and by never I mean there is a certain amount

I think republicans do dramatically overstate the danger of voter fraud at times, but considering that it's reasonably likely that voter fraud is the only reason the democrats got a 60 seat majority in the senate and passed the health care bill I'm surprised people still pretend it never happens. (Al Franken, Minnesota)

I think republicans do dramatically overstate the danger of voter fraud at times, but considering that it's reasonably likely that voter fraud is the only reason the democrats got a 60 seat majority in the senate and passed the health care bill I'm surprised people still pretend it never happens. (Al Franken, Minnesota)

I know many people who talk about college students voting in two places and getting away with it.

I guess this topic comes up around election times. I hear it every year and don't pay much attention to it. But since it came up again, do we really have any evidence of these claims?

I mean real numbers, stats, proof of voter fraud changing the outcome of elections?

When you see one cockroach run across the kitchen floor, it's a sure bet that there are hundreds more behind the walls.

I guess this topic comes up around election times. I hear it every year and don't pay much attention to it. But since it came up again, do we really have any evidence of these claims?

I mean real numbers, stats, proof of voter fraud changing the outcome of elections?

I think a reasonable measure of its effectiveness is the effort put into fighting efforts to control it.

I believe I read somewhere a while back that there are only cases of voter fraud reported in roughly 1 in 10 million votes.

Proof please...

The concern about vote fraud via lack of ID is impossibly overstated. There would literally have to be thousands of cases to tip the results of even a close election. This doesn't mean we should accept any tampering with the vote. However, people who would potentially commit vote fraud know this, and thus there is almost zero incentive to go out and try to vote 10 times -- or especially just twice (heck, we have trouble just getting people out to vote once).

When people commit crimes, they do so because there is some tangible, direct benefit to themselves. They don't risk jail time for something that has a 1 in a million chance of indirectly providing them marginal benefits sometime in the distant future.

When you see one cockroach run across the kitchen floor, it's a sure bet that there are hundreds more behind the walls.

Republicans have been looking behind the walls with a microscope for 10 years, and this is all they found.

Republicans have been looking behind the walls with a microscope for 10 years, and this is all they found.

Actually, what they've found is a class of voters that would vote for the opposing party, and a potential method to silence a portion of that class while claiming it's for a noble cause.

I think a reasonable measure of its effectiveness is the effort put into fighting efforts to control it.

Yea right, let .gov fix it.

Where's the proof?

Until we see proof the Clown Brigade in DC have better things to do.

I asked for proof, haven't seen any. Never have, just jawboning which I suspect is another topic to help divide the masses.

Let's put our efforts into getting more than 50 percent of the people to vote to begin with (of course running these cardboard cutouts doesn't help much).

Proof please...

Given that the source is Al Franken, the quote is certainly facetious. Turn the irony meter up another notch or so...:wink:

wait - or.... are you being facetious and *I* need to turn up my irony meter!! Oh the the trials of textual conversation.

Edited by Gehringer_2

I think it's ironic when either party claims voter fraud, when the primary voting process in both parties is rife with fraud and regularly disenfranchises voters in those parties.

My thoughts:

1. I have to imagine there are at least tens of issues facing the nation more pressing and more impactful (both in number of citizens affected and in the amount they are affected) than addressing voter fraud. I'd say it really oughtn't be on the radar much, if at all. Given the likely amount of voter fraud in this country, I'd further say that if it does deserve significant attention, then we must have corrected a number of social issues and are enjoying great foreign relations.

2. You name the crime, somebody - somewhere out there, has almost certainly tried it in recent memory. The fact someone has done a wrong is not evidence in and of itself that many people are doing that wrong, contrary to what the cockroach analogy suggests.

the hanging chad episode is illustrative of what the Dems were worried about being pulled on them.

More government telling me the rules of how I can vote (read, more intervention) or less government telling me the rules how I can vote??

I thought conservatives wanted less government telling us how to do thing and run our lives.

More government telling me the rules of how I can vote (read, more intervention) or less government telling me the rules how I can vote??

I thought conservatives wanted less government telling us how to do thing and run our lives.

+1

How does voting qualify as "running your life"?

And how does proving eligibility to vote in that election or district, qualify as a "rule of how one can vote"?

Frankly, given the checkpoint like security at airports, bus terminals, train stations, federal buildings, campaign events, etc, I'm surprised they even let people into polling areas without providing proof of ID --- for security purposes, if not for voting purposes.

What would happen if nobody showed up?

I often wondered too, why does anyone think the electoral college works as it should? Do we really know the person representing us voted the way our votes were cast?

I don't trust the entire process (add in electronic machines and anything is possible).

How does voting qualify as "running your life"?

And how does proving eligibility to vote in that election or district, qualify as a "rule of how one can vote"?

Frankly, given the checkpoint like security at airports, bus terminals, train stations, federal buildings, campaign events, etc, I'm surprised they even let people into polling areas without providing proof of ID --- for security purposes, if not for voting purposes.

Fine.

So where do you draw the line of "government intervention" into our private lives? What is "Too Much Government"?

Fine.

So where do you draw the line of "government intervention" into our private lives? What is "Too Much Government"?

Elections are predominately a state issue, as you are simply voting for state electors, who then elect the President and Vice President. Each state legislature determines the voting process for their states.

So first and foremost, this is a state issue, not a federal one.

Elections are predominately a state issue, as you are simply voting for state electors, who then elect the President and Vice President. Each state legislature determines the voting process for their states.

So first and foremost, this is a state issue, not a federal one.

Didn't answer my question. Government intervention is still relevant at the state level.