ROMAD1

DNC Open Thread

I liked this portion of Clinton's speech

[Romney's plan is] supposed to be a debt reduction plan but it begins with five trillion dollars in tax cuts over a ten-year period. That makes the debt hole bigger before they even start to dig out. They say they'll make it up by eliminating loopholes in the tax code. When you ask "which loopholes and how much?," they say "See me after the election on that."

People ask me all the time how we delivered four surplus budgets. What new ideas did we bring? I always give a one-word answer: arithmetic.

If they stay with a 5 trillion dollar tax cut in a debt reduction plan – the – arithmetic tells us that one of three things will happen:

1) they'll have to eliminate so many deductions like the ones for home mortgages and charitable giving that middle class families will see their tax bill go up two thousand dollars year while people making over 3 million dollars a year get will still get a 250,000 dollar tax cut;

or 2) they'll have to cut so much spending that they'll obliterate the budget for our national parks, for ensuring clean air, clean water, safe food, safe air travel; or they'll cut way back on Pell Grants, college loans, early childhood education and other programs that help middle class families and poor children, not to mention cutting investments in roads, bridges, science, technology and medical research;

or 3) they'll do what they've been doing for thirty plus years now – cut taxes more than they cut spending, explode the debt, and weaken the economy. Remember, Republican economic policies quadrupled the debt before I took office and doubled it after I left. We simply can't afford to double-down on trickle-down.

I have heard many conservatives bemoan GW Bush and the GOP Congress during his reign as betraying conservative principles by increasing the deficit. But, if you vote for Romney you are voting for an expanded deficit.

You'll enjoy this. They apologized, kind of. More like, "Sowwy .. but it wasn't our fault and anyway Romney ..." DNC apology for backdrop of Russian ships - Navy News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Navy Times

You can almost figure out how this happened. The modern US fleet is mostly bluff bodied missile platforms, no large surface guns, not much apparent ordinance visible at all, pretty boring to look at. This Russian group, of basically WWII design looks a lot more like the kind ship everyone would recognize from WWII Hollywood films. So I'm pulling together video, thinking strictly of the image and not too much about where in the file library I happen to be, and these old Russian tubs look a lot more dramatic than your typical Aegis cruiser.

Still no excuse for the sloppy work in a high profile environment.

You can almost figure out how this happened. The modern US fleet is mostly bluff bodied missile platforms, no large surface guns, not much apparent ordinance visible at all, pretty boring to look at. This Russian group, of basically WWII design looks a lot more like the kind ship everyone would recognize from WWII Hollywood films. So I'm pulling together video, thinking strictly of the image and not too much about where in the file library I happen to be, and these old Russian tubs look a lot more dramatic than your typical Aegis cruiser.

Still no excuse for the sloppy work in a high profile environment.

G2, very astute. Those Russian ships are known to be notoriously cramped and have poor stores of ammo...

I have friends who hated certain movies about submarines because a guy used a grease pencil on a chart vs. a dry erase marker in a certain scene. Or who joke about one-day there being naval simulations like Civil War reenactments where people will stand in front of their microwave ovens for 12 hours --to simulate a watch of a certain sensor-- in a house packed with guys they can't stand that they can't leave for 6 months.

I have friends who hated certain movies about submarines because a guy used a grease pencil on a chart vs. a dry erase marker in a certain scene..

Of course the funniest thing about submarine movies is that in reality, other a maybe a few spots in the coral sea or maybe at the pole, ocean visibility is NEVER good enough to see a submarine in the water from one end to the other, so any long shot of the whole hull is an impossibility.

no I heard no southern accent.

Granholm pumped up the crowd and did her job. The speech was hilarious to me but she did her job.

JG back in the day:

b4FJIP-eZCA

Fighter jets shown at DNC were Turkish, not American | The Daily Caller

Martin Rosenkranz, a military aircraft expert and editor-in-chief of a military aviation journal in Austria, revealed the fighter jets’ origin to The Daily Caller.

“The aircraft in this image displayed are not U.S. [operated] aircraft,” he told TheDC.

“The jets are most likely from the Turkish air force [because] the formation and the type (F-5) flown is very typical of the seven-ship formation flown by the Turkish Air Force Display Team known as the ‘Turkish Stars,’” Rosenkranz.

“There is no other display team worldwide” that uses a similar seven-aircraft formation.

I wondered if it was a photoshop job because of the formation and the age of the aircraft. They appeared to be trainer/airshow aircraft. Didn't realize they were F-5's. USAF normally uses a flight of four with one echelon longer or a flight of three with a flight of two in close trail.