ROMAD1

RNC open thread

The Eastwood thing might have been stupid but let's not pretend Obama is above the language.

If I had a dollar for every time I've seen the "Two Wrongs Make a Right" fallacy on this board, I'd be rich.

An interesting thing that I heard recently....

Well most people here probably know that I am more on the libertarian or Classical Liberal side of things.

with that being said....due to past jobs (as well as my current one where they are my customers) I do have some contacts from within the party and in my small area I still have some influence. In the past 6 months I have had multiple meetings with the heads of local Republican Parties where I have voiced my concern and disagreement that the direction that they are going and the fact that I do not believe they can win unless they adopt a more libertarian platform. Of course this was met with a lot of disagreement and fell on deaf ears.

Fast forward a few months to my local County Convention. The "liberty movement" or "Ron Paul Supporters" dominated the County Convention. What does this mean? it means that this state convention will have a more libertarian slant to how we vote.....in addition to this the party leadership will be up for re-election in a few months and "liberty supporters" hold a secure majority in my area.

The day after Romney secured the nomination the Chairwoman of our County Republicans was in to see me at my work. We had debated before about whether Romney and the liberal republicans could garner enough votes to win the Presidency. A few months ago she was 100% certain of this. Last week she was extremely doubtful. In fact....she told me a story of how the Regional Romney campaign was looking for registered Republicans to go door to door on behalf of the Romney Campaign.....she stated that the only replies that she received were of Ron Paul supporters....and that she could not gather even 1 Romney volunteer.

Is this just a exception to the rule and quaranteened to my area?......or am I more right that I even imagined? Is a Libertarian minded Republican party the only chance of garnering new support? I am inclined to think so...

I think the Republican party's stance on abortion and gay marriage is severely hurting them with the younger generation. I also think Iraq being mostly a war Bush and the Neocons started has severely damaged the Republican party's credibility on foreign policy. I hear a lot about how "young people are always liberal democrats," but that's just not true. Reagan split the youth vote pretty evenly.

The younger generation has also grown up in a more diverse country, and are more turned off by attempts at racial divisiveness. Although no one on here will ever admit it, the "Obama wants to put people on welfare" and birtherism stuff is really doing damage to the Republican brand.

Libertarianism is a good way to run away from a lot of these toxic policies. But it's also a hard sell these days that less regulation for the financial sector is a good thing for this country. I mean, deregulation directly caused the second biggest financial collapse in our nation's history.

Well most people here probably know that I am more on the libertarian or Classical Liberal side of things.

with that being said....due to past jobs (as well as my current one where they are my customers) I do have some contacts from within the party and in my small area I still have some influence. In the past 6 months I have had multiple meetings with the heads of local Republican Parties where I have voiced my concern and disagreement that the direction that they are going and the fact that I do not believe they can win unless they adopt a more libertarian platform. Of course this was met with a lot of disagreement and fell on deaf ears.

Fast forward a few months to my local County Convention. The "liberty movement" or "Ron Paul Supporters" dominated the County Convention. What does this mean? it means that this state convention will have a more libertarian slant to how we vote.....in addition to this the party leadership will be up for re-election in a few months and "liberty supporters" hold a secure majority in my area.

The day after Romney secured the nomination the Chairwoman of our County Republicans was in to see me at my work. We had debated before about whether Romney and the liberal republicans could garner enough votes to win the Presidency. A few months ago she was 100% certain of this. Last week she was extremely doubtful. In fact....she told me a story of how the Regional Romney campaign was looking for registered Republicans to go door to door on behalf of the Romney Campaign.....she stated that the only replies that she received were of Ron Paul supporters....and that she could not gather even 1 Romney volunteer.

Is this just a exception to the rule and quaranteened to my area?......or am I more right that I even imagined? Is a Libertarian minded Republican party the only chance of garnering new support? I am inclined to think so...

A libertarian republican party will only go so far. There are some younger libertarian-minded conservatives out there who are under 65, but for the most part they aren't exactly well-regarded folks by most people anyways. They're vocal, and have pockets of support, but once the veil is lifted most people realize they're completely bonkers, and would lead the country to ruin.

Social conservatives think they're anarchists, moderates and liberals think they're closest social conservatives who are just trying to hide the fact that they are just as socially conservative, and divisive as the religious-wing is. Ron Paul didn't win the nomination for a reason, hes out of touch with just about everyone, save for a vocal 5% - 8% or so that agree with his message.

If the RNC wants to split the party, then I say embrace the Paul-ites. Otherwise most libertarian Republicans will just follow along with the RNC similar to how Blue Dog Dems tend to follow along with the DNC. It's a wing of the party the RNC will have to deal with, and try to keep in line. It's really the first time the RNC has had to deal with internal strife on a level the DNC has had to deal with in it's past.

Interesting report. It has been discussed here before that there are signs that the old line GOP org is hollowing out in some place in the midwest. In Minnesota, despite the party winning control of the state legislature in 2010, by last yr they were having trouble raising the money to keep the lights on at party HQ. The GOP program and it's national media arm seem to be able to generate voters, but not the kind of dedicated followers it takes to knock on doors, at least in some places where they did used to have organizational strength.

I am not sure what county you're in but in my work with campaigns the volunteers have been recruited directly. County party organizations often are not reliable partners as they have any number of local elections competing for resources. I could tell you horror stories about some of the silly nonsense.

Interesting report. It has been discussed here before that there are signs that the old line GOP org is hollowing out in some place in the midwest. In Minnesota, despite the party winning control of the state legislature in 2010, by last yr they were having trouble raising the money to keep the lights on at party HQ. The GOP program and it's national media arm seem to be able to generate voters, but not the kind of dedicated followers it takes to knock on doors, at least in some places where they did used to have organizational strength.

I think this is a result of the GOP message being more one of cynicism and negativity as opposed to any policy platform they have actually put forward. The platform of "government sucks at everything so elect us to govern" generates the kind of cynical adherence required to check "R" at the ballot box, but it kind of attracts the type of person that's not really willing to go the extra mile and volunteer because they positively believe they are doing something good by getting into politics.

Obama's ground game gets so many volunteers because his campaign and vision for America is based on a positive view of government and what it can do. People who volunteer actually feel like they are contributing to positive change in this country. Even this year, the Obama field offices vastly outnumber the Romney ones in pretty much every swing state. They can do this because it's really cost-effective when you have dozens of people even in small towns willing to walk miles for the candidate for free. You just have to pay rent at a small office for 6 months. Volunteers usually bring their cell phones and call from those, so you don't even have to pay for a phone line.

In Lakeland, a medium-sized somewhat conservative Florida city, we had hundreds of volunteers show up every week. I probably knocked on 1,000 doors and registered about 50 new voters just by myself. The McCain campaign didn't have enough volunteers, so they actually had to pay canvassers to go out and knock on doors. Neither McCain nor Romney have messages that really inspire people, though. They're message is basically anti-Obama, not pro-McCain/Romney. Which makes sense, because even a large chunk of Republican voters disapprove of the Republican party these days. They just disapprove of Obama even more.

Only judging the campaign ads, I see Romney running on his business experience to improve the economy. I see Obama running against Bush and Bain Capital. Clinton is the only positive ad.

Only judging the campaign ads, I see Romney running on his business experience to improve the economy. I see Obama running against Bush and Bain Capital. Clinton is the only positive ad.

You must have missed the ad where Romney claims that Obama would make "welfare to work" into "welfare" again (lie).

The Carmel Pine Cone's first story of the week

Clint speaks.

Eastwood said people, including reporters, who were shocked by his remarks “are obviously on the left,” and he maintained that, while many Americans didn’t like the way he handled his convention appearance, millions more have something else on their minds.

“A lot of people are realizing they had the wool pulled over their eyes by Obama,” Eastwood said.

Funny. Let's see, the Fed would love to help the city build transit, the city and state can't get their act together. The Fed would have loved to give the city a 'race to the top grant' educational grant, the city and state couldn't get their act together. The Fed is willing to throw in 80-90% on road and bridge programs the state has missed because it hasn't had it's act together. The state has had one of the worst business tax climates because it took the state *60yrs* to finally throw out the worst business tax system ever devised in the US. The state has traditionally sent more money to the Fed than it has gotten back, not in the least because for a number of years we had a MI Chairman of the Senate Armed Services committee who was too upright to play by the regular rules and bring any defense dollars home. (we can't even win for winning /..sigh../ ).

Yup - you go Michael......

Edited by Gehringer_2

Funny. Let's see, the Fed would love to help the city build transit, the city and state can't get their act together. The Fed would have loved to give the city a 'race to the top grant' educational grant, the city and state couldn't get their act together. The Fed is willing to throw in 80-90% on road and bridge programs the state has missed because it hasn't had it's act together. The state has had one of the worst business tax climates because it took the state *60yrs* to finally throw out the worst business tax system ever devised in the US.

Yup - you go Michael......

He's not exactly lucid