hail2mich

GDT: #8 Michigan v. #2 Alabama 9/1/2012

If Michigan finishes in the top 3 of the B10 but doesn't win it, and any of the players that got banged up last night are out for any length of time, scheduling this game was a mistake.

Robinson should have been flagged for that tackle too.

-EDIT-

On second look, it was shoulder, not head. Still stupid.

Tell me they got rid of that retarded rule please? The helmet to helmet at anytime? In the NFL helmet to helmet only applies to defenseless players (almost always receivers catching a ball). If they dont want helmet to helmet at anytime then they shouldn't allow running backs to ever lower their head and make them run straight up lol.

As for this game. I was embarrassed for the way Michigan played. At least you could have continued trying to hit your opponent instead of letting them run you over and knock you down every time they touched you. I mean nobody over the top at the goal line to stop the running back. Did not like the effort at all.

Tell me they got rid of that retarded rule please? The helmet to helmet at anytime? In the NFL helmet to helmet only applies to defenseless players (almost always receivers catching a ball). If they dont want helmet to helmet at anytime then they shouldn't allow running backs to ever lower their head and make them run straight up lol.

In this case Robinson lowered his head and tried to make a face tackle but missed and hurt his shoulder.

This loss doesn't really bother me. Anyone who knew football knew that Michigan couldn't compete with Bama.

The thing that concerns me is the play calling. It's like we're right back to where we started last year: Denard chucks left, denard chucks right, run the slowest smallest player right at the strength of the other team. Very frustrating to watch.

They're still rebuilding. Hopefully this was a blip in an effort not to get Denard murdered by Bama's defense and keep him healthy for the Big Ten, because if they call those plays all year long, Michigan is going to lose a bunch.

This loss doesn't really bother me. Anyone who knew football knew that Michigan couldn't compete with Bama.

The thing that concerns me is the play calling. It's like we're right back to where we started last year: Denard chucks left, denard chucks right, run the slowest smallest player right at the strength of the other team. Very frustrating to watch.

They're still rebuilding. Hopefully this was a blip in an effort not to get Denard murdered by Bama's defense and keep him healthy for the Big Ten, because if they call those plays all year long, Michigan is going to lose a bunch.

That is the only reason I could see why they weren't letting Denard run the ball. If Denard doesn't run, Michigan won't win.

A couple things.

First of all, it was painfully obvious to me that Denard either had it in his head to not run, or the coaches told him explicitly to not scramble. There were so many situations where a throw clearly wasn't there (that he could make) and there was room to run and Denard didn't do it. Was he told to not run because it's the first game of the season and you don't want to get him hurt? Or did he take it upon himself to intentionally try and stay in the pocket in order to become a "better QB"??? It was really baffling to me.

Secondly...I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I am beyond sick of Taylor Lewan. He's the most overrated offensive lineman in the country, IMO. Sure, he is pretty good the majority of the time, but he clearly has temperament issues that hinder the team more than it helps. I can not remember the last time I watched a game and he didn't get a hands to the face penalty or a personal foul penalty, particularly in an important situation. He clearly gets rattled too easily and then takes it out afterwards and in my humble opinion, these things are far outweighing what he contributes when he's not racking up penalties.

Edit: Also, another one I guess. I found it absolutely ridiculous that when in trouble, Denard apparently found his safety valve in...chucking it up to a quarterback? Who clearly can't catch a ball yet? From what I understand, the plan seems to be to make Devin a full-time WR so Shane Morris can start as a true freshman next year with Devin as a WR...but really? In his first game as an actual WR, he gets about eight targets and catches one? When about five or six of the other passes were balls he probably should have caught? Against the #2 team in the country? That's your game plan? Come on. It was painfully obvious after he dropped the first three passes that hit him in the hands that he shouldn't be the main target. It was frustrating is all.

Edited by KleShreen

Secondly...I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I am beyond sick of Taylor Lewan. He's the most overrated offensive lineman in the country, IMO. Sure, he is pretty good the majority of the time, but he clearly has temperament issues that hinder the team more than it helps. I can not remember the last time I watched a game and he didn't get a hands to the face penalty or a personal foul penalty, particularly in an important situation. He clearly gets rattled too easily and then takes it out afterwards and in my humble opinion, these things are far outweighing what he contributes when he's not racking up penalties.

I agree with you that he has issues with keeping his cool, but he is a really valuable player. I don't know if you noticed, but the play after Lewan came out, the replacement got blown off the line leading to a sack. He is the second most important player on this team, and without him, it would lead to the most important player getting killed.

Michigan's coach had Robinson throw because he knows the futility of trying to use a running quarterback against one of the best teams in the SEC. I can't recall a running qb that beat a good SEC team unless you want to go back to Nebraska versus Florida. I'm probably missing one or two but I know it's not that many.

I need to edit a previous thing I said though. There were a couple of good hits by the linebackers when they were filling the gaps. Other than that not so much.

Michigan wa highly unlikely to win this game. If they ran the same offense they were running late last year they had no chance, especially with Fitz not playing.

They were not going to be able to just have denard run the ball and expect any success. So, in that sense, I can't fault the overall play calling. They needed to take a chance with the passing game and hope that it succeeded. If the passing worked, it could have opened up denard for more running.

It didn't work and it became a matter of just getting out of there with most of our limbs intact.

This loss doesn't bother me at all, and it doesn't worry me for the rest of the season either. The team we saw on Saturday is not the team we will see next week. The opponent we saw on Saturday is not an opponent we will see for the rest of the regular season.