RedRamage

Want to get your words to Ernie Harwell? Have eastside billie bring them!

Our own Eastside Billie will be having lunch with Ernie Harwell coming up this July 11th. As a "gift" to Mr. Harwell, we thought it would be nice to all send along a few words for him. Please feel free to add your own words to this thread. Perhaps a brief comment on what Ernie means to you, or how he's touched your life. Please "sign" the message with your first name, and your city/state. On July 7th, I will collect all the messages and do some nice formating of them all, then up load them to a website so that Eastside can print them off and bring them to the luncheon.

Here are my comments,

Dear Mr. Harwell,

In the years that I've been a baseball fan, players, managers, owners, and even stadiums have changed! What a blessing it has been to be a Tiger's fan, and know that through all the changes, your voice has still been there. You've been a rock in shift sands of baseball, and you've been the friendly voice that lets us know that summer is here.

It saddens me greatly to know that this is your last year. I don't begrudge you your retirement, far from it! You have certainly earned it, and I know you and Lulu will have many wonderful days ahead. I know too that eventually there will be someone else sitting in your chair who well announce the coming of spring, and who will call the sport played by the "Boys of Summer." But that person will never replace you Ernie, not in the hearts of Tiger's fans...not in my heart.

So it is with a tear in my eye that I bid you adiou...I thank you for the memories, for the stories, and for being there for so long. And I thank you for this last year.

I wish you well, Mr. Harwell. I wish you a fine retirement, and many long years to spend with your wonderful wife. Thank you for putting a voice to Tiger's Baseball for all these many years.

Chris - Grand Rapids, MI

I grew up in a Tigers family, listening to WJR whether we lived in Warren, MI, Toledo, OH or Lima, OH. Now, even though I live in Florida, I can listen to Tigers broadcasts over the Internet.

I shook your hand one day at Tiger Stadium, and thank you for being so gracious and kind. You once wished my mother ("a long-time Tiger fan") a happy birthday during a game, and she was tickled pink.

The Tigers gave us some excitement through the years, and I have great memories of listening to you describe the thrills. We were fortunate to have you share the drama of the last game at Tiger Stadium. I believe your words made the moments even more special, adding to the action on the field. We Tiger fans love to hear the excitement in your voice, and know you also love the game and the Tigers.

And a man from Hollywood, Florida, will take those memories home. Thank you for all the years, all the games, and all the joy.

John C.

Hollywood, FL

Mr. Harwell ( may I call you Ernie?),

My story's a bit different than others you'll read here.

I am a born and raised NY'er, and a dyed in the wool Yankee fan who now lives in NJ.

I caught the tail end of Mantle's career, and it was during those years and subsequent ones that followed that I also had a great attraction to the Detroit Tigers.

For years, I'd check the box scores to see how the Tigers did. I also will admit to having a crush on Mark Fidrych, which only cemented my position as "peripheral fan of the Tigers".

During all those baseball years, I , of course, listened to Yankee baseball broadcasts and was treated to the rather unique style of Phil Rizzuto with his varying side-kicks.

Phil always made the games fun to listen to, whether they were winners or losers... and trust me, there were an awful lot of losing Yankee teams in the years I've been listening.

The last couple of years, through the "miracle of the internet", I've made a connection with the many fans of the Tigers, and also for the very first time ( through MLB Audio ) been able to hear your broadcasts.

What a terrific treat that has been ! I can honestly say that I haven't enjoyed listening to a baseball broadcast since the Scooter retired........ until now.

There's nothing better than listening to someone call a game who obviously loves and respects THE GAME, and who has so much insight and history behind his stories.

I just want to say - Thank you.

I am so lucky to have been able to listen to one of the greats, even if it's only been for a couple of years.

How lucky Detroit Tiger fans have been to have you.

Baseball won't be the same without you.

Sincerely,

Sue R.

West Milford, NJ

I'll never forget hearing Al Kaline's 3000th hit from Baltimore......

Al Kaline's 3000th hit was announced by Paul Carey. ;):D:P

Mr. Harwell,

I've heard time and time again how boring baseball is from friends. I get berated for rushing to see how my Tigers did, even though it's been rather futile for the past decade. I try to explain to them, that it's "for love of the game," but don't understand. They never do. How could they? They didn't fall in love with the Tigers by listening to the broadcasts of the Great Ernie Harwell, as I did.

I'm so embarassed for you.

Moron.

(BiD - I feel I don't tell you often enough how glad I am that you're back. You're so much fun to laugh at. I mean with... )

Originally posted by Born in Detroit

Well, I remember hearing it!

Ok, I'll edit my post. Ernie was there on September 27, 1999, wasn't he? :o

I'm just teasing ya BiD! ;)

I'm sure you did hear it, as did I, but it happened when Paul Carey was doing the play-by-play.

As you know, Ernie and Paul worked a 1-3 Ernie, 4-6 Paul, 7-9 Ernie format.

Yes, Ernie was there on September 27, 1999.

(BiD - I feel I don't tell you often enough how glad I am that you're back. You're so much fun to laugh at. I mean with... )

Sue,

I think you ordered a BiD but must have been given a BiD Lite (so far anyway ;)) by mistake! :P

Dear Mr. Harwell,

Words cannot express what you have meant to me and all Baseball fans. I have grown up listening to you, all those wonderful lazy summer days. Your the Best. Total Class. The best memory.

Take care,

Bud

Roseville, MI

(P. S. - I hope i can jump rope when i'm 80 also !!!;) )

Mr. Harwell,

You will be sorely missed. Thank you for all the great memories. I hope you enjoy your retirement to the fullest.

Respectfully,

Chris

Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Folks, HERE is the type of pages I'm looking at putting together in the end. This would be page one of the packet. I'm open to comments and or suggests, especially on the wording...

Keep the thoughts coming and like I said, I'll starting pulling everything together July 7th so it should be done in time for eastside to print and bring to Ernie onthe 11th (that's the right date, isn't it?)

Hey Red:

Sorry to be so critical, but in the 2nd paragraph -- "follow" should be following, and "paragraphes" should be paragraphs as well as those commas need to be gone.

luv,

esb

Originally posted by eastside billee

Hey Red:

Sorry to be so critical, but in the 2nd paragraph -- "follow" should be following, and "paragraphes" should be paragraphs as well as those commas need to be gone.

luv,

esb

Thanks for pointing out the errors esb... I did see the "follow" but didn't catch the others. It was a preliminary one anyways, but I wanted to get something out so people could get an idea of what it would look like in the end.

Dear Ernie,

About 16-17 years ago I was living in Pittsburgh when one hot summer night there was a blackout. Alone, in the dark, needing something to past the time, I fumbled through my closet trying to locate a battery-operated radio. When I turned it on there was a baseball game being broadcast. At first, I thought it was a Pirates game. But there was something familiar about the voice coming from my radio. Of course, it was you. The radio dial had been left on WJR from my younger days when I used to sit in my Northwest Ohio backyard listening to the tigers, and on that night, hundreds of miles from Detroit, the signal was coming in loud and clear. Thanks for keeping me company.

Bob

Wauseon, Ohio

dear Ernie

thank you for all the years of enjoyment, you'll be missed

Todd

Traverse City, MI

Dear Mr. Harwell,

I am only 18 years old. I remember 1993 vaguely and can't remember a thing about 1987. I've been a life long Tigers fan though I can hardly remember a winning season and don't have the slightest memory of the post season.

I've been a rabid fan since '96, the worst season ever. I've followed just about every transaction made. It's been rough for me as a fan to follow a losing team for so long but there have been a few things that got me through these rough times. My passion for baseball and being able to listen to you broadcast these games.

It's been a pleasure to listen to you broadcast these games, even through the worst seasons. You always seemed to make the games enjoyable.

Thank you for all that you have done. You'll be missed deeply by all Tiger fans and will hold a special place in my heart and in the hearts of all Tigers fans. You made Tiger baseball the greatest.

Justin

Toledo, Ohio

Dear Mr. Harwell,

When I discuss my most exciting memories I bring up two games. The first is the last game at Tiger Stadium. The second involves the last season at Tiger Stadium when me, my wife Anna and my brother Brian waited near the radio booth to see if we could get a picture with you. You were more than a gentleman willingly taking the pictures. You asked me some questions such as where I was from. I told you Morris, Illinois and I wondered if during the game you may have said "and a man from Morris, Illinois got that ball" (even though we were at Tigers Stadium).

Since then I have moved back to Michigan and have been able to enjoy your broadcasts once again. I listen to as many games as I possibly can because I treasure baseball on the radio over television.

I also collect old Tigers radio broadcasts and have a large collection of games with you and your many partners starting with George Kell up to this year's games with Jim Price and Dan Dickerson.

If it's a game from from 1968 or 1984 or even 1999 it really doesn't matter too much to me because I just love listening to your voice during the games.

To me you are the greatest ambassador Tiger baseball will ever have.

Thanks for the memories,

David Troppens

South Lyon, MI

Thanks for doing this ESB.

I was going to use all my just over 10,000 points in a weak effort to win this auction but I knew it wouldn't be enough. It's good to see someone here did win it and is willing to send these letters. I really appreciate your efforts.

David

Thanks David,

But believe me, it's my pleasure and honor to represent our wonderful website. I'll try not to do anything classless or whatever. I'm really excited about doing this, and honestly have no idea what to say.

I was considering just meeting up with Ernie and never even discussing baseball at all. I was thinking, he might be sick to his guts talking about the usual things - i.e. how bad the Tigers are, the management, moving the fences in etc.

I just don't want to come off "rehearsed".

I still think you oughta be YOU and sing / play for him!

That would be unique and unforgettable.. :)

ESB,

Just be yourself and do what comes naturally. I'm guessing Ernie will come across as a very easy person to talk to. I met him once for five minutes when I got a picture take with him and he was tremendous. I am sure when you are 80 you will remember your lunch with Ernie as a great highlight.

A picture is worth a thousand words, and this is what makes your baseball play-by-play so special. You are able to take words and mold them into pictures. When listening to Tigers' games I feel like I'm actually at the game - sitting there in the stands at Comerica on a warm summer's day with my glove on one hand and a hot dog in the other. Even though I never had the opportunity to physically visit Tiger Stadium in a way you were my tour guide. You told me about the overhang in right field, the obstructed seating behind big steel girders, the cavernous dimensions of center field and the radio booth so precariously close to home plate. Thanks for the memories Ernie and may you enjoy your retirement to the fullest.

Dustin Franks

Joplin, Missouri