KleShreen

Former UM player says "Team was stoned" during game against Appy State

So...take this for what it's worth. Apparently, in a part of a new Michigan book about transitioning from Carr to RichRod, there was an interview done with a "former UM player who came to Michigan in fall of 2005" in which the player says half the defensive starters and a few select offensive starters partied late in to the night and were smoking up until just before the game.

Former Michigan player: "Nearly half the team was stoned during A | ChatWolverines.com

Part of me as a Michigan fan thinks this is just being made up as an excuse for losing. However, working in collegiate athletics, I can easily see this exact same mentality playing out at almost every above average college football team.

I used to smoke pot before playing drop in hockey. You're just not the same player on drugs. Real fun though when it doesn't mean anything.

As for UM, unless someone puts a name to it I will call it hearsay, nothing to be too work up over.

I'm a little naive to weed, but are pop tarts burn out food? Is this possibly a marketing ploy by Kellogg's to help push the new Wolverine strawberry flavor? And why didn't they use blueberry (or some other blue filling) rather than strawberry?

UofM Poptarts

I would believe it more if we hadn't gone on to get whalloped by Oregon the next week... You'd think if they were high and got embarressed by App St., they would learn and be ready to go the next week.

Then again, they are college kids, and college kids are stupid.

I'm a little naive to weed, but are pop tarts burn out food? Is this possibly a marketing ploy by Kellogg's to help push the new Wolverine strawberry flavor? And why didn't they use blueberry (or some other blue filling) rather than strawberry?

UofM Poptarts

Lol, it looks like they just took their most popular flavor and lasered logos onto it...That has to be safe and healthy for the children!!

I used to smoke pot before playing drop in hockey. You're just not the same player on drugs. Real fun though when it doesn't mean anything.

One of the guys at my drop in skate comes in baked routinely, and he is still pretty ridiculous. Super nice guy.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

I would believe it more if we hadn't gone on to get whalloped by Oregon the next week... You'd think if they were high and got embarressed by App St., they would learn and be ready to go the next week.

Or maybe Oregon was much better than UofM at that point in time independent of whether or not UofM was wasted when playing App. St.

One of the guys at my drop in skate comes in baked routinely, and he is still pretty ridiculous. Super nice guy.

He sounds like me. I am super friendly when I smoke pot or if I drink, when I am sober is when I can be ornery...I wonder how common that is.

And yes, Oregon was a better team that week, although UM finished that year strongly IIRC.

It wouldn't surprise me if a handful of guys were stoned/hungover. I believe the guy that started at CB for App State and Oregon (and was dreadful in both games) was kicked off the team for drug related reasons shortly after those games. Can't remember his name off the top of my head. Both Manningham and Mallet were heavily rumored to have drug issues. You get enough bad apples and it can bring down the whole team.

With that said, the team is supposed to be on lockdown at the Campus Inn before home games. Maybe these guys were able to slip out and party, but it would be surprising that half the defensive starters were willing to so flagrantly disregard team rules. I imagine it was just 4 or 5 guys, if any of this is true.

I have heard that Anthony Carter smoked more ganja than the city of Kingston, Jamaica during the Bo Schembechler era

The last thing I would think one would want to do after smoking is competing and working and getting intense. I hate the stuff, but when I was younger, I was looking for the comfiest place to sit for the next few hours.

It wouldn't surprise me if a handful of guys were stoned/hungover. I believe the guy that started at CB for App State and Oregon (and was dreadful in both games) was kicked off the team for drug related reasons shortly after those games. Can't remember his name off the top of my head. Both Manningham and Mallet were heavily rumored to have drug issues. You get enough bad apples and it can bring down the whole team.

With that said, the team is supposed to be on lockdown at the Campus Inn before home games. Maybe these guys were able to slip out and party, but it would be surprising that half the defensive starters were willing to so flagrantly disregard team rules. I imagine it was just 4 or 5 guys, if any of this is true.

I was trying to remember that. Did they do the hotel thing back then? Be interesting to see if that started after this game.

I was trying to remember that. Did they do the hotel thing back then? Be interesting to see if that started after this game.

It seems to me that they have done that for a long time...could be remembering incorrectly though.

Didn't Adrian Arrington get in trouble early in 2007 workouts for "violations of team policy"?

Or maybe Oregon was much better than UofM at that point in time independent of whether or not UofM was wasted when playing App. St.

Yes. That 2007 Oregon team would have won the national championship if Dixon stayed healthy. They were simply a better team.

I played college hockey with a defenseman who would get stoned before practice every now and then. When he was sober he was just the steady, stay at home type who's flashiest move was really well placed outlet passes. He got stoned and all of a sudden he was super creative, dangling everyone on the rink. It was pretty hilarious to me.

and they also got ran over by Illinois and Juice Williams .... all three teams had running QB's which has always been bane to Michigan...

from the Michigan players i've met personally it wouldnt surprised me if they were all stoned during that game and through the RichRod era.

As for UM, unless someone puts a name to it I will call it hearsay, nothing to be too work up over.

I couldn't imagine doing anything athletic high. Back in college it would basically be watch a movie/listen to music time. Obviously it depends on how high you are...but I doubt this story...if those dudes were blazed off their butt it would've been evident.