KleShreen

ESPN: Cabrera chances at triple crown?

Which one has been the better hitter this year? It's been very close. Trout has a slight edge in the numbers, but not enough to say he is significantly better.

Which one has been the better offensive player? Trout when you add in the base running.

Who has been the better overall player? Trout everything considered.

This was a silly article, but people should stop getting upset when they read that someone thinks Trout has been better than Cabrera this year. That's not an insult to Cabrera. Trout is having an unbelievable season so far.

When I see the question "who is the best pure hitter in baseball?", I look beyond who has the better stats for this season. I consider recent career numbers in addition to my own eye test. Cabrera has been putting up great numbers since he came into the league and hasn't slowed down. I've never seen a hitter like him, who's able to go to all fields with power with ease. Trout is a great player, but it'll take more than 3 months of solid hitting for me to call him the best hitter in baseball.

So I think it comes down to the wording of the question. If you're asking "who's had the best hitting season stat wise this season?", It's Trout. If you're asking "who is the most skilled hitter in the game of baseball?", I say Cabrera.

I think the same thing with Justin Verlander. Jered Weaver has been better than Verlander in many stats this year, but do I think Weaver is a better pitcher than Verlander? No.

I don't know as that anyone is upset at the notion that Trout is having a better season than Cabrera.

I think some are upset or bemused about the poorly considered logic used by some to argue it.

I don't know as that anyone is upset at the notion that Trout is having a better season than Cabrera.

I think some are upset or bemused about the poorly considered logic used by some to argue it.

Maybe "upset" was not the right term, but I'm getting the sense from a couple of threads that some are not happy that some hot shot kid is being considered over Cabrera with all his lifetime achievements. Maybe, I'm misinterpreting.

This is like Metallica putting out great records year after year and never winning a Grammy and then comes along Jethro Tull.

This is like Metallica putting out great records year after year and never winning a Grammy and then comes along Jethro Tull.

So does that mean Cabrera is going to start to suck in a year or two but he'll hang around forever and ever and never shut up and hit .200 and well you get the idea

So does that mean Cabrera is going to start to suck in a year or two but he'll hang around forever and ever and never shut up and hit .200 and well you get the idea

Good point. Maybe I should have said Menudo? They still rock.

Which one has been the better hitter this year? It's been very close. Trout has a slight edge in the numbers, but not enough to say he is significantly better.

Which one has been the better offensive player? Trout when you add in the base running.

Who has been the better overall player? Trout everything considered.

This was a silly article, but people should stop getting upset when they read that someone thinks Trout has been better than Cabrera this year. That's not an insult to Cabrera. Trout is having an unbelievable season so far.

Trout "has" hit about the same as Cabrera, value wise this year. The MVP arguments for trout as of today are fair given his other attributes and his successful results.

This thread is regarding whether or not Cabrera is a better pure hitter. That's it. Which guy would you choose to take a single at bat right now. I'll take cabrera every time and I expect most people to agree if the question was presented that way.

Trout "has" hit about the same as Cabrera, value wise this year. The MVP arguments for trout as of today are fair given his other attributes and his successful results.

This thread is regarding whether or not Cabrera is a better pure hitter. That's it. Which guy would you choose to take a single at bat right now. I'll take cabrera every time and I expect most people to agree if the question was presented that way.

I don't really know what a "pure hitter" is but given your definition, I would agree that I'd want Cabrera up.

"Pure hitter" is simply used to get people on message boards arguing about what a pure hitter is.

What I'm dying to know is which hitter is more of a professional hitter?

I have no idea what pure hitter means either, I know in basketball when they say things like "best pure shooter" they usually bring up a guy that can shoot from all over the court ie 2pt FGs, 3pters, FT% etc.(like a Ray Allen) So by that I would guess it would be somebody that can do it all with the bat ie hit for power to all fields, go the other way if needed to, hit a fly ball or groundball on command etc. and I think Cabrera definitely fits that description. Really the only thing I don't think he can do is bunt and who knows maybe he could do that too if he was for some reason ever called upon to do so.

I don't think Cabrera will be able to win the Home run title. Hamilton and Dunn are 3 ahead and play in much friendlier home run parks. It's still possible though, but he is already hitting .377/.441/.721 with 6 hr in August. I don't know how much better he could hit. As far as the batting title goes Trout is down to .339 and is only hitting .270 in August.

I'm just wondering what these baseball "geniuses" would say if Cabrera were to win the triple crown. It would be interesting to watch them change horses, or talk stupid - one or the other.

I'm just wondering what these baseball "geniuses" would say if Cabrera were to win the triple crown. It would be interesting to watch them change horses, or talk stupid - one or the other.

It's not unprecedented for a Triple Crown winner to lose out on MVP.

It's not unprecedented for a Triple Crown winner to lose out on MVP.

Right, Ted Williams won the triple crown in 1947, but did not win the MVP because a Boston writer left him off the ballot.

Williams should have been the MVP that year, but I don't think winning the triple crown should guarantee an MVP. Pretty much everything Cabrera contributes shows up in the Triple Crown stats whereas his competitors do a lot of things that don't.

Was Yaz the "pure hitter" Triple Crown kind of player? I don't think he was.

I don't know what people today would call him, but he was a damn good ballplayer.

Yastrzemski was not as good of a hitter as Cabrera. He was an outstanding all around player, a great defensive outfielder. The player from that period who Cabrera most reminds me of is Frank Robinson.

Yastrzemski was not as good of a hitter as Cabrera. He was an outstanding all around player, a great defensive outfielder. The player from that period who Cabrera most reminds me of is Frank Robinson.

Not as good a hitter? IDK Lee, he had OBPs and even OPSs comparable to Cabby's over several years. And did it when HRs were harder to hit. Yaz was still a leading HR hitter in his day, which is the same relative title I would give Cabera. And in the 60's Yaz was considered by many to be the best hitter of his day, which is pretty much Cabby's status today.

Now there is the whole "athletes are bigger stronger faster today and no-one from a previous era could compete with today's athlete". If you accept that than that's a bit of a different argument, but it also mean you believe Cabby could go back to 1960 and hit 400 - and maybe he could!

Edited by Gehringer_2

Not as good a hitter? IDK Lee, he had OBPs and even OPSs comparable to Cabby's over several years. And did it when HRs were harder to hit. Yaz was still a leading HR hitter in his day, which is the same relative title I would give Cabera. And in the 60's Yaz was considered by many to be the best hitter of his day, which is pretty much Cabby's status today.

Looking at the first nine years of each player's career (minus their rookie year), I have to agree with you. They are very close in OPS+: Cabrera 153 Yaz 148. I was thinking more of the 1970s version of Yaz (the one I grew up with here in Massachusetts) who never had an OPS+ above 140. This also reminds me that it might not be a good idea to re-sign Cabrera after his contract is up. As painful as it would be to see him go, we will likely (edit: may would be a better word than likely!) see a very different Cabrera after age 32.

As for your other point, I think athletes in all sports are better today than 50 years ago, so I don't think that kind of comparison is very meaningful.

Edited by tiger337

... This also reminds me that it might not be a good idea to re-sign Cabrera after his contract is up. As painful as it would be to see him go, we will likely see a very different Cabrera after age 32.

are those hornets I hear buzzing.... :paranoid::ponder:

:silly: