tigers84roar06

Bobby Higginson today

"I didn't talk to Carlos Pena"

That's what Higginson said in 2003 or 2004 at Tiger fest.  Dan Dickerson asked him if, as a leader, would he take someone like a Carlos Pena under his wing and show him around and teach him things.

Funny story about him...I remember going to a Monday afternoon makeup game.  Probably 3 to 5 thousand people in attendance.  The Tigers were bad as they always were in the 90s and early 00s.  We had pretty much the entire left field line to ourselves except for a few other people including this group of 40ish women.  Bobby comes out at the beginning of an inning and tosses one of the women a baseball with his phone number on it.  I also remember he struck out 3 times that game (maybe not that game but I remember watching him k 3 times in a game and I only went to about 1 a year when they sucked that badly). 

And that's pretty much all I remember from about 10 Tigers seasons in that time era.  Oh...and I went to game where Clemens was trying for win 300 against Jeremy Bonderman.   Typical Bonderman outing so the Tigers were down big early and I thought it was in the bag that he was going to get #300.  It was standing room only.   I believe Soriano made 2 errors and Jeter 1 error in an inning letting the Tigers close to within 1 run.  The relievers blew it and the yankees won in 16 or 17..but by that time I was already home...not really caring about the result.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Bobby tried to be the Deuce, but the harsh reality is there can only be one Deuce.

Nobody has a trajectory like Deuce. 

On 8/17/2012 at 10:53 AM, tiger337 said:

Which year are people referring to as his big year? I don't see one that stands out. He peaked from about 25-30 and then faded. He had one bad year during that stretch when he was hurt. Seems like a pretty typical career to me.

I know this is from years ago, but when Bobby Higginson hit .300 with 30 HR and 100+ RBI in 2000, only three Tigers had done so in the same season:  Hank Greenberg, Rudy York, and Norm Cash.  Prior to Higgy, Cash was the last Tiger to do that -- in his mythical season of 1961

~K

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kari Smith said:

I know this is from years ago, but when Bobby Higginson hit .300 with 30 HR and 100+ RBI in 2000, only three Tigers had done so in the same season:  Hank Greenberg, Rudy York, and Norm Cash.  Prior to Higgy, Cash was the last Tiger to do that -- in his mythical season of 1961

~K

His 1997 season was very close his 2000 season.  Seeing which players exceeded levels of three different stat categories is fun, but also arbitrary.  

On 8/1/2018 at 4:57 PM, gmoney said:

Funny story about him...I remember going to a Monday afternoon makeup game.  Probably 3 to 5 thousand people in attendance.  The Tigers were bad as they always were in the 90s and early 00s.  We had pretty much the entire left field line to ourselves except for a few other people including this group of 40ish women.  Bobby comes out at the beginning of an inning and tosses one of the women a baseball with his phone number on it.  I also remember he struck out 3 times that game (maybe not that game but I remember watching him k 3 times in a game and I only went to about 1 a year when they sucked that badly). 

And that's pretty much all I remember from about 10 Tigers seasons in that time era.  Oh...and I went to game where Clemens was trying for win 300 against Jeremy Bonderman.   Typical Bonderman outing so the Tigers were down big early and I thought it was in the bag that he was going to get #300.  It was standing room only.   I believe Soriano made 2 errors and Jeter 1 error in an inning letting the Tigers close to within 1 run.  The relievers blew it and the yankees won in 16 or 17..but by that time I was already home...not really caring about the result.

I was at Higginson's three home run game at Tiger Stadium against the Mets in, what, 1997? It was part of his string of four home runs in four straight plate trips. Totally random because I was living out of town and happened to be in Detroit for a family thing.

I was also at south side park for the series game in which he had two two-home-run games against the Sox. Sort of his last hurrah.

22 hours ago, tiger337 said:

His 1997 season was very close his 2000 season.  Seeing which players exceeded levels of three different stat categories is fun, but also arbitrary.  

Of course.  :)  Everything is arbitrary in the context they're presented.  In this case, someone (i.e. me)  is going to remember a guy slashing .300/30/100 than someone narrowly missing the mark.  Specifically to 2000, I remember talk about how Juan Gonzalez's presence that year allowed Higginson to have that year and on that alone, justified Juan Gone's contract offer.

I think every Tigers fan agrees that the team dodged a huge bullet.

~K 

44 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Batting average should never be rounded up. 

Neither should wild horses.

Higginson's top season was probably 1996 when he had his best BA (.320), best OBP (.404), best SLG (.982) and best OPS+ (145).  Unfortunately, his counting stats suffered when he went down with an injury from mid May to early June.