tigers84roar06

Bobby Higginson today

I was just going to take a quick look at how bad Tony Clark's 1st half/2nd half splits really were, only to find that his BR page has the split pages links pointing to his game logs. Fail.

Tony prolly paid to have the info suppressed......

These are his five Aprils with the Tigers:

1997 .288/.361/.567

1998 .232/.267/.337

1999 .230/.287/.365

2000 .115/.206/.230

2001 .333/.407/.564

He had three bad ones in a row flanked by two good ones. So, he was not as consistently bad in April as he was made out to be. The thing is it didn't really matter whether he did his hitting in April, June or September. They weren't going to win much with that team anyway.

I seem to recall one criticism of Clark was that he never showed much emotion.

If he struck out in a crucial situation, he would just walk back to the dugout with no expression. Like he didn't care.

I seem to recall one criticism of Clark was that he never showed much emotion.

If he struck out in a crucial situation, he would just walk back to the dugout with no expression. Like he didn't care.

I like it when a player makes an error and then swears and checks the lacing on his glove as if the glove caused the error. When he does that, I know that he cares.

I like it when a player makes an error and then swears and checks the lacing on his glove as if the glove caused the error. When he does that, I know that he cares.

Not saying I agree. Just recall that being a criticism at the time.

Not saying I agree. Just recall that being a criticism at the time.

yeah, I know. I remember they used to say that about Clark and Easley.

Silly comment,,,,,,at a nearby intersection where numerous homeless people hang out hoping for donations, there ais a very unkempt woman with her cardboard sign: "HOMELESS, MONEY, FOOD, HI JEAN OR ANYTHING TO HELP".

Well, I guess she just wanted to say hello to her friend Jean, who I'm sure was probably real clean.

Bobby Higginson had four seasons where he produced over 100 RCs, and over a .365 wOBA...that's elite production...over his 10-year career he averaged a .350 wOBA, which is still pretty damn good for a career.

Tony Clark's tenure was marred by injuries and a lack of full-time availability...played only three full seasons, and was quite good (.370+ wOBA, 100+ RCs) for those seasons...but in three other non-rookie seasons he failed to reach 500 PAs, although he was quite effective in his somewhat limited time in two of those years. Overall quite a good hitter, but because he was a good player on a bad team, hyped to sell tickets and injured, he will always be remembered for his failures.

Easley's period of plus play was about three years, but during that time he hit and fielded well.

These were three guys who all peaked at about the same time (1996-2000) and if the team had had any kind of decent pitching, they could have been a winning team over that period...although b/c of the Indians dominance they would have had a hell of a time competing for the division, and probably could not have won the W/C either....a real dark time in Tigers history. Those were b-b-b-b-b-bad teams, even the ones that threatened to have a winning season.

I will say that I found the 2000 season less frustrating than this one has been so far.

I will say that I found the 2000 season less frustrating than this one has been so far.

2000 was fun because it looked like they might make a playoff run. In fact, a former member here lost a bet when he said that the Tigers would make the playoffs and he bought a suite at Comerica as a penance.

Tony Clark and Higgy may have been legends, but imagine what kind of legend would have been created if Juan Gonzalez signed that 160 million dollar deal.

Tony Clark and Higgy may have been legends, but imagine what kind of legend would have been created if Juan Gonzalez signed that 160 million dollar deal.

All I think about when someone mentions Gonzalez and the $160 mil deal he turned down is that they likely would not have signed Magglio, and possibly other free agents who helped contribute to the success of 2006.

You are everywhere, woman!

Saw your comment in the DetNews this AM. And of course, once again, you overwhelmed them with logic.

:classic:

You are everywhere, woman!

Saw your comment in the DetNews this AM. And of course, once again, you overwhelmed them with logic.

:classic:

Yep, that's me. Blinding them with logic, and all.

If Tony had been on the Yankees he'd have been seen as Bernie Williams. The quiet, confident pro who always came alive right when the race was heating up. Higgy would've been seen as Paul O'Neill.

Two players surrounded by crap can't will a team to win.

no idea why but i was thinking about higginson today lol.

he was a pretty good player and had a great arm! hes a ghost on social media though

On 8/18/2012 at 12:56 PM, tiger337 said:

yeah, I know. I remember they used to say that about Clark and Easley.

That used to be a common criticism of African American athletes in general....still is today, but not as much

It’s pretty telling that he hasn’t been brought back for any alumni stuff.  Very outspoken as a player and seemed like a knucklehead.  He was the poster child for the Randy Smith era of ineptitude.  Plus, he had to have been juicing—he fell apart after signing his big contract.