tigers84roar06

Bobby Higginson today

Agreed.

EDIT: I am often surprised how many fans I meet who are convinced he was a crappy player.

He was crappy at the end and that is what is being remembered. Yeah a lot of players are bad at the end, but in Bobby's case because since he didn't perform up to the contract and since there didn't seem to be any good reason for a player with that skill level to lose it all so fast, he was more resented I guess.

Higginson knocked up Chris Shelton?!

as a favor to Heather Nabozney... she always wanted kids.

Am I pinning blame on Higgy for the private jet/stewardess incident? That might have been Jeff Weaver and some other guys.

edit: here it is...

Jeff Weaver smoking pot, plus lewd behavior from the Tigers causes a lawsuit

Her suit says that when she told Weaver and his seatmate, Anderson, that smoking marijuana on the flight was not permitted, Anderson responded by barking profanities at her and calling her vulgar names. She alleges that later in the flight Higginson, confronted and chastised her for reporting the marijuana smoking. Another player, Brad Ausmus, also confronted Kesner, and allegedly called her vulgar names for reporting the incident.
Edited by ROMAD1

Never met Higginson, though did see him play a bit. I know a couple of his associates he sees when in town. I always feel the need of a shower after talking to them. A few years ago his limo service had a branch in Tampa.

• Like 1

Interesting to know if Gibby (Mr. Kirk Gibson) is still tight with him.

He was crappy at the end and that is what is being remembered. Yeah a lot of players are bad at the end, but in Bobby's case because since he didn't perform up to the contract and since there didn't seem to be any good reason for a player with that skill level to lose it all so fast, he was more resented I guess.

I think part of it was he was on crappy teams as well.

EDIT: I don't think many hold it against Carlos Guillen that he didn't perform up to his last contract.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

if Bobby Higginson had been on any other team in the 90's he would have been a 4th outfielder. The guy is a perfect example of a player who parlayed one decent year into a ridiculous contract. A contract that hurt the team a lot.

I just want to ask you something. from 1996 to 2001 Higginson's average OPS was .862. this is a fourth outfielder in your mind?

I fear you won't like the responses you get in this thread. I understand there were some bad incidents.

I mean its not like I idolized the guy or anything, its just for some reason he popped into my head today lol. The gossip-lover in me wants to hear more about these incidents ha. This thread turned into a lot of discussing his career numbers.

Never met Higginson, though did see him play a bit. I know a couple of his associates he sees when in town. I always feel the need of a shower after talking to them. A few years ago his limo service had a branch in Tampa.

lol interesting. Meaning...he has poor hygiene? Or that hes crooked?

I'd like to know what Higginson's father is doing. He used to post a lot on another board, gave us a lot of scoops.

sorry maybe I was being harsh -- I tend to look at all things Higgy with turd colored glasses...

So do I. Too many stories from a friend of my dad's who worked in the organization at the time. Higginson wasn't a victim of that low point in Tiger history, he was part.of it.

He was crappy at the end and that is what is being remembered.

.246/.353/.388 in his last full season? It's not great, but it's not crappy either.

.246/.353/.388 in his last full season? It's not great, but it's not crappy either.

True, the OBP was fair, but the 12 dingers is pretty crappy for a left handed corner OF.

I always thought Higgy was treated poorly at the end. He faded fast, but playing for a putrid organization will do that.

As far as juicing goes, I don't know about that, maybe it was because he was hitting in front of Juan Gone.

And as far as being overpaid - look at what Jayson Werth is making and he is pretty much the same player (maybe even a little lesser of a player). Baseball salaries are just crazy sometimes.

lol interesting. Meaning...he has poor hygiene? Or that hes crooked?

Noidea on hygiene, but one of the people that wanted to fight me for a comment posted by another local moron is his friend and a former ball park manager. My skin crawls talking to the slug. I'm not a big guy, but this runt thinks he is a MMA master.

True, the OBP was fair, but the 12 dingers is pretty crappy for a left handed corner OF.

Like Brennan boesch with a ton of walks.

Silly comment,,,,,,at a nearby intersection where numerous homeless people hang out hoping for donations, there ais a very unkempt woman with her cardboard sign: "HOMELESS, MONEY, FOOD, HI JEAN OR ANYTHING TO HELP".

So do I. Too many stories from a friend of my dad's who worked in the organization at the time. Higginson wasn't a victim of that low point in Tiger history, he was part.of it.

I can't speak with any degree of certainty, but my sense of it most who dislike him dislike him primarily (if not entirely) because they thought he was a poor player rather than he was a poor person.

I can't speak with any degree of certainty, but my sense of it most who dislike him dislike him primarily (if not entirely) because they thought he was a poor player rather than he was a poor person.

They disliked Tony Clark who was seemingly a better person, but a player of similar quality. I think people disliked the team during that period and found fault with every player who lasted for a long time.

I'm sure impressions ranged all over the map. My personal memory is that when it was clear there would be no comeback attempt in '06 I was torn between "Better off without the jerk" and "they still need any kind of LH bat".

They disliked Tony Clark who was seemingly a better person, but a player of similar quality. I think people disliked the team during that period and found fault with every player who lasted for a long time.

With Clark the frustration for me was strictly over his inconsistency. Tony seemed well liked enough.

Edited by Gehringer_2

With Clark the frustration for me was strictly over his inconsistency. Tony seemed well liked enough.

A lot of people considered him a joke, because he never hit "when it counted". He seemed very underrated.

A lot of people considered him a joke, because he never hit "when it counted". He seemed very underrated.

I was just going to take a quick look at how bad Tony Clark's 1st half/2nd half splits really were, only to find that his BR page has the split pages links pointing to his game logs. Fail.

Tony prolly paid to have the info suppressed......