tigers84roar06

Bobby Higginson today

He was my favorite player during the Tigers darkest days of the '90s, and you had to feel bad for the guy who was a solid player who played for nothing but losing Tigers teams, as the beginning of his career saw the last connections of the Tigers glory days of the '80s fade away, and the end of higgys career was the year before they turned their franchise around by winning the AL Pennant, and have been perennial contenders since.

Though not a MI native, I heard he still lives here and owns a limo company in Detroits northern suburbs...anyone know if this is true? Wonder if he follows the Tigers and enjoys their success, or is perhaps a bit sour that he was a good player playing at the worst possible time for a historic franchise.

I fear you won't like the responses you get in this thread. I understand there were some bad incidents.

if Bobby Higginson had been on any other team in the 90's he would have been a 4th outfielder. The guy is a perfect example of a player who parlayed one decent year into a ridiculous contract. A contract that hurt the team a lot.

if Bobby Higginson had been on any other team in the 90's he would have been a 4th outfielder.

This might have been true for 5-6 teams but otherwise is a stretch.

This might have been true for 5-6 teams but otherwise is a stretch.

Has Bobby ever admitted to juicing in his big year?

Higginson had OPS+'s of 145, 135, 133, 120. In his prime, he would be the fourth best hitter on the Tigers this year. He wasn't good at end, but he had some really good years for the Tigers.

Which year are people referring to as his big year? I don't see one that stands out. He peaked from about 25-30 and then faded. He had one bad year during that stretch when he was hurt. Seems like a pretty typical career to me.

Which year are people referring to as his big year? I don't see one that stands out. He peaked from about 25-30 and then faded. He had one bad year during that stretch when he was hurt. Seems like a pretty typical career to me.

I was thinking 2000. It sort of stands out as he had been dealing with some nagging injuries the year before - and a lot of guys got started in rehabs, then came back with his best power season, then the following year his HRs were down 40% and the power never came back.

2000 wasn't even his best year. He was better in 96 and just as good in 97. I don't doubt he was juicing in 2000, but I think the majority of players were at that point.

2000 wasn't even his best year. He was better in 96 and just as good in 97. I don't doubt he was juicing in 2000, but I think the majority of players were at that point.

Best is always an arguable term, but from a power perspective most total bases by a 10% margin and most HRs. But you have a fair point that you can make as good an argument that 2000 was the continuation of what had gone on before. It's almost a better arg to posit that for some reason he gave it up in 2001. I suppose once you have the guaranteed money maybe the side effects get to be a less desirable trade-off. I'm just a lot more cynical about this than you are Lee.

It's almost a better arg to posit that for some reason he gave it up in 2001. I suppose once you have the guaranteed money maybe the side effects get to be a less desirable trade-off. I'm just a lot more cynical about this than you are Lee.

Wasn't that the year that he knocked-up the stripper?

His PWR in 96 was .301 and .304 in 2000 so those years were very similar except that he had 157 more ABs in 2000 which led to 17 extra base hits over 1996. In 1997 and 1998 respectively, it was .276 and .275.

Best is always an arguable term, but from a power perspective most total bases by a 10% margin and most HRs. But you have a fair point that you can make as good an argument that 2000 was the continuation of what had gone on before. It's almost a better arg to posit that for some reason he gave it up in 2001. I suppose once you have the guaranteed money maybe the side effects get to be a less desirable trade-off. I'm just a lot more cynical about this than you are Lee.

By best, I mean best compared to league average. You can interpret the data anyway you want, but there is not a lot of difference between his 95, 96 and 2000 seasons in terms of overall production. The 2000 season did not stand out from the rest of his career.

More cynical in what way? I think most players were juicing during that period and Higginson may have been juicing in 95-99 too. How can you be more cynical than that? I just don't think Higginson's career path was at all unusual.

More cynical in what way?..

Maybe cynical wasn't exactly the right meaning - but I've gathered from what you have posted on the topic that you think it had less effect on the game than I think it did - not to argue the point, I just think we have come down in a different place on the topic.

Maybe cynical wasn't exactly the right meaning - but I've gathered from what you have posted on the topic that you think it had less effect on the game than I think it did - not to argue the point, I just think we have come down in a different place on the topic.

They surely had an effect. Otherwise, players wouldn't have used them. I just think it's impossible for anyone to ever know exactly who used what and when they used it. I don't think it's possible to distinguish steroid use from random variation. Most of the players who have tested positive aren't even very good players.

if Bobby Higginson had been on any other team in the 90's he would have been a 4th outfielder. The guy is a perfect example of a player who parlayed one decent year into a ridiculous contract. A contract that hurt the team a lot.

From 96-02 he had a 122 OPS+.

This post is completely wrong.

Surprised we don't really see him around the Tigers. He must have burned bridges or they simply don't like him. Not many former players live around here and thsoe that do, like Wilcox and Petry, we see. Heck, even Barbaro Garbay makes appearances. Perhaps he doesn't want to. But if that's true then why stay?

I remember fans in LF yelling "Tawny Peaks! Tawyny Peaks!"

His 162 game average would look very nice in a corner OF spot this season.

I would take an average Higginson year over Boesch, Young, Berry, Raburn anytime on this years club.

Wasn't that the year that he knocked-up the stripper?

I thought it was the grounds crew....

• Like 1

Higginson was a really good ballplayer. I think the Bill James theory that fans tend to heap all the teams problems on their best player applies here.

Agreed.

EDIT: I am often surprised how many fans I meet who are convinced he was a crappy player.