T&P_Fan

Keith Law: "Cabrera shouldn't appear in the top three spots on any ballot."

Not really.

Jacoby Ellsbury last year: .321/.376/.552/.928, 32 HR, 105 RBI, 39 SB

Matt Kemp last year: .324/.399/.586/.986, 39 HR, 126 RBI, 40 SB

Haven't looked past last year, but I'm sure there are more who compare in previous years.

I still don't get why some Tiger fans get so bent out of shape over the idea that Trout might not win.... if Cabrera hits a long fly ball that's a foul ball but the umps call it fair and it's a game winning HR, are you upset? I sure as hell am not. I want good things to happen for my players and team. Now obviously if you get asked you you think should win and don't say Cabrera, that's fine. But I'm seeing people get upset over teh possibility. That makes no sense to me. What's the big deal? I don't care who deserves it more, I want Miggy to get it.

The award doesn't mean much to me unless I think he deserves it. He has had a tremendous year. Whether or not he wins the award is not going to change how I feel about his season. If Jhonny Peralta gets a gold glove because he has a good fielding PCT, I'm not going to celebrate. What I'd like to see is Cabrera winning the triple crown because it's so rare. Two consecutive batting titles would be cool too.

Haven't looked past last year, but I'm sure there are more who compare in previous years.

Kemp's numbers really aren't that different than Cabrera's either.

I'm not getting bent out of shape, FWIW, one way or the other.

I am just explaining why I think Trout deserves the award.

Same here. It's like the allstar game. It's more fun for me to talk about who I think deserves to go than finding out who actually made it.

The difference is that Trout is a great defensive CF and he started the season as a 20 year old. No one in the history of MLB has had a season like Trout at such a young age.

That doesn't necessarily mean he deserves the MVP award, but it is historic.

Interesting that in 64 AB in Sept, Cabby has Kd 16 times, about double his regular rate, but homered 8 times - a totally blistering rate. I'm guessing those are not accidents.

Interesting that in 64 AB in Sept, Cabby has Kd 16 times, about double his regular rate, but homered 8 times - a totally blistering rate. I'm guessing those are not accidents.

He's going for the Triple Crown, so he needs homers. Who knows? It might turn out to be a more effective approach for him.

His GB% this month is also just 35% (he's usually in the low 40%). It is a small sample size, though, but its possible he's changing his approach a bit to hit more fly balls.

I'm not getting bent out of shape, FWIW, one way or the other.

I am just explaining why I think Trout deserves the award.

Same. I'll be happy if Cabrera wins it, even though I think Trout deserves it.

I think the total bases are going to be the icing on the cake for Cabrera.

I believe he leads the league with 351 total bases and 2nd place is at 308 total bases before yesterdays games.

That is quite a lead in a category that I have always considered quite important.

I think Mike Trout is around 267 total bases.

Trout has 24 doubles to Cabreras 38 and 27 homers to Cabreras 41.

I would have given Trout the MVP after he caught the couple homerun balls around the time of the Tigers series but since then Cabrera has come unglued and is putting Trout away. I expect that to continue. Cabrera now leads Trout in batting by 9 points .333 to 324 when about a month ago Trout was up 10 points on Cabrera.

Trout will really have to get it going again or it will be an easy MVP for Miggy.

TB seems to be an under appreciated stat. Nice combination of both the counting and quality aspects of hitting though. Maybe it's too simple for modern tastes. :wink:

The difference is that Trout is a great defensive CF and he started the season as a 20 year old. No one in the history of MLB has had a season like Trout at such a young age.

That doesn't necessarily mean he deserves the MVP award, but it is historic.

Ellsbury had a higher WAR last year than Trout has right now. He also accounted for more dWAR and oWAR. For some reason, Trout baserunning is worth 6.1 WAR which is the only thing keeping his overall WAR anywhere close to Ellsbury from a season ago.

To me, Trout's season is no where near 'historic' other than the fact that his two month swoon has left sabremetric folk talking out of their behinds. I agree at one point when he was batting .340 and OPSing over 1.000 with 40 steals, that would have been historic. However, it appears he is a very good player who will probably have a very good career. But all the talk of putting him in the hall of fame can hold off until next year when he hits a home run and steals two bases in the opener.

It's historic for a 20 year old. Why you keep missing that point is beyond me. It's historic due to his age.

It's historic for a 20 year old. Why you keep missing that point is beyond me. It's historic due to his age.

Building on this, right now Trout has the highest OPS+ ever for a 20 year old in the history of MLB.

That doesn't include anything from his baserunning or defense.

Building on this, right now Trout has the highest OPS+ ever for a 20 year old in the history of MLB.

That doesn't include anything from his baserunning or defense.

Ellsbury.

Also, Elsbury's big season came in a hitters park and a league with higher offense. He posted a 145 OPS+, which is markedly less than 166.

And, of course, there is the issue of he being 27 and Trout 20....

I wouldn't be upset at all if Trout doesn't win. Stating the case for Trout isn't the same thing as being upset if he doesn't win. I believe he deserves the MVP, but I believe it to be a lot closer than what WAR tells us.

TB seems to be an under appreciated stat. Nice combination of both the counting and quality aspects of hitting though. Maybe it's too simple for modern tastes. :wink:

TB is actually one of my favorites. It might tell you more about a hitter's season than any other traditional stat. You can't have a really high TB total and not have a great season in terms of both quality and quantity. I also like Times On Base, My new triple crown is BA, TOB and TB.

I wouldn't be upset at all if Trout doesn't win. Stating the case for Trout isn't the same thing as being upset if he doesn't win. I believe he deserves the MVP, but I believe it to be a lot closer than what WAR tells us.

It would be like an Oriole fan saying that NY has a better team than Baltimore. He's not going to be upset if the Orioles win the division.

There have been lots of great rookie seasons in MLB, and there will be many more to come. I guess I don't see the significance whether he is 18, 19, 20, 21, or 22.

Is what Bryce Harper is doing historic because he is one year younger than Trout? Bryce Harper will start the season the same age Trout was this year, but it won't be Harper's rookie season. If he played all this year in the minor leagues, and then next season has a season better than trouts, he would be the best 20 year old rookie ever? Instead he already used his rookie season, and thus even though he will only be 20 next year he cant be the best 20 year old rookie.

Reminds me of when Magglio didn't win (and didn't deserve to win, but earned consideration) the MVP several years ago. Amazing season, but trumped by an even more amazing season by a better offensive and defensive player.

If you're taking Trout's age into consideration...you should take Cabrera's history of domination into consideration as well. The thing that makes me leery about giving Trout the MVP is that so much of the hype for him as an MVP candidate is based on two really great months of production. I know that there are ebbs and flows within any given season...but giving the league's highest honor to a guy for having an awesom June and July and then a good Aug and Sept when the alternative is a guy who's been killing it all year...and has killed it for year's previously, is wrong.

I also think some of the people who are against Cabrera still have an issue with the DUI. The M in MVP doesn't stand for Mormon, so ease up....

If you're taking Trout's age into consideration...you should take Cabrera's history of domination into consideration as well. The thing that makes me leery about giving Trout the MVP is that so much of the hype for him as an MVP candidate is based on two really great months of production. I know that there are ebbs and flows within any given season...but giving the league's highest honor to a guy for having an awesom June and July and then a good Aug and Sept when the alternative is a guy who's been killing it all year...and has killed it for year's previously, is wrong.

I also think some of the people who are against Cabrera still have an issue with the DUI. The M in MVP doesn't stand for Mormon, so ease up....

I don't think people are using Trout's age as a factor for his MVP chances, but rather as a reasonable way of qualifying the argument that we haven't seen a season like this very often, if ever from a player.