Vonlenska

Tigers Acquire Infante, Sanchez and a pick from Marlins for Turner, Brantly, Flynn

He just didn't know how to spell it so he put Andrew.

I was just to lazy to google. Same with Clayton, always mix up his name with the street in LA.

I was just to lazy to google. Same with Clayton, always mix up his name with the street in LA.

La Cienega?

La Cienega?

I have that SAME issue!

He's still really young with decent velocity and generates lots of ground balls with occasional swing and miss stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if he could turn himself into a good back end reliever like Andrew Miller did if he continues to fail as a starter.

The current CBA doesn't seem to work all that well for young pitchers that end up having longer development arcs. Teams get itchy to move guys that they don't think are panning out fast enough, then the guys get thrown into the ML often on bad teams where the odds of holding their own is poor to begin with, then they end up getting bounced around the country. Ought to be a better way to be able to leave these guys alone to develop.

I have that SAME issue!

There should be a support group. We'll meet somewhere along Kershaw Blvd.

The current CBA doesn't seem to work all that well for young pitchers that end up having longer development arcs. Teams get itchy to move guys that they don't think are panning out fast enough, then the guys get thrown into the ML often on bad teams where the odds of holding their own is poor to begin with, then they end up getting bounced around the country. Ought to be a better way to be able to leave these guys alone to develop.

The current CBA actually helps them. It was the previous CBA that hurt young pitchers like turner.

He got a major league deal from the tigers, meaning that he was on the 40 man roster from the start. He started using his four options immediately.

2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

That's a pretty fast track for a pitcher coming out of high school.

The new CBA doesn't allow major league deals for draft picks, so they don't start using their three or four option years until the point they are ready to be called up or they are forced to be added to the 40 man to be protected from the rule 5.

Jacob Turner is 23. That's too young to be forced to spend an entire season on a major league roster.

So signing a major league deal may not be in the best interest of the player? What was the advantage of signing a major league contract? Wouldn't he be better served to get a large bonus and not sign a major league deal?

The current CBA actually helps them. It was the previous CBA that hurt young pitchers like turner.

He got a major league deal from the tigers, meaning that he was on the 40 man roster from the start. He started using his four options immediately.

2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

That's a pretty fast track for a pitcher coming out of high school.

The new CBA doesn't allow major league deals for draft picks, so they don't start using their three or four option years until the point they are ready to be called up or they are forced to be added to the 40 man to be protected from the rule 5.

Jacob Turner is 23. That's too young to be forced to spend an entire season on a major league roster.

Yes, that is where I was coming from, so thank you for that Mr S. I was not up to speed on that change. I guess I should have been concise and said "the CBA at the time he signed."

Daaaamn ... we fleeced Marlins again looks like. Perhaps some innings in the minors will help Jacob out - especially if going to a real MLB operation - versus the bad joke occupying Miami currently.

So signing a major league deal may not be in the best interest of the player? What was the advantage of signing a major league contract? Wouldn't he be better served to get a large bonus and not sign a major league deal?

Well, it did ensure that he was in the majors for good by 2014. That isn't all bad. Another team will certainly claim him.

It's gets you called up earlier because you are on the 40 man. Getting called up earlier builds your service time faster, which gets you to arbitration faster.

He wouldn't have been added to the 40 man until 2012 if he had not signed the major league deal.

He will be at 2 years and 33 days after this season is over. If he could have been optioned, he would probably be below 2 years after this season. That wouldn't make a difference for arb, but it could make a difference for him as to when he can be a free agent.

If he fully busts before free agency, so be it. But the major league deal did make it more likely that he would be eligible sooner.

Armando was called up in 2008.

He was trash in 2009.

As for 2008, so much went wrong that season that no single player would have made a difference.

Dammit.

I knew I should have looked that up instead of relying on my memory.

Dammit.

I knew I should have looked that up instead of relying on my memory.

Especially because we discussed that very thing a few weeks ago.