thefunk

July 23rd - The 'no baseball sucks' off day thread

We don't do these as much anymore...

Last night, from about 1-3 in the morning I was on the internet. Starting at this link here (Tigers Top Plays Archive: 2006 | tigers.com: Video) I watched loads and loads of highlight from 2005 until 2010.

I don't know, there's just something about it that became extremely captivating. A few things:

• Pudge's Cleveland walk off in '06
  • I will always miss Granderson
  • Long hair Magglio in '06 was a monster
  • SUPER fun to revisit the little wins we all forget about that made the season so special. Lots and lots and lots of fun moments.
  • Cheering out loud for things at 3 in the morning that happened 5 years ago
  • 163 hurts so much I barely watched any of that years late season highlights
  • The technological improvements in the last 6 years are miraculous /slash/ you think mlb.tv is bad now? ....

I dunno. Maybe you all won't have time, but it was weird to go back memory lane so vividly, and the 05 highlights will be gone next year, and the magical '06 highlights will disappear after that. Kind of just wanted to soak it up easily before we all forget the little things.

Wasn't too happy that both the clips I wanted to watch had the opposing teams announcers. I know some here aren't big on Rod and Mario but both the plays I wanted to watch had calls that I remember vividly.

Plenty of baseball on tonight. Ill watch Baltimore and Cleveland and then my Giants bully the Padres around on China Basin.

Can you say bully anymore these days?

A couple other from the 2006 highlights:

Chris Shelton's April

Carlos Guillen's cycle in Tampa

Craig Monroe's 3 run shot in the 9th inning vs. Yankees

A young, healthy, and dominate Joel Zumaya and Jeremy Bonderman

Celebrating after beating the Yankees in the ALDS (my favorite moment ever as a Tigers fan)

Also, I realized how much I don't miss the Metrodome.

A couple other from the 2006 highlights:

Chris Shelton's April

Carlos Guillen's cycle in Tampa

Craig Monroe's 3 run shot in the 9th inning vs. Yankees

A young, healthy, and dominate Joel Zumaya and Jeremy Bonderman

Celebrating after beating the Yankees in the ALDS (my favorite moment ever as a Tigers fan)

Also, I realized how much I don't miss the Metrodome.

A huge stand out moment that I forgot about last night/this morning was that Craig Monroe had such a huge impact on that CWS series in the middle of the year.

I remember thinking so much about how we had been playing super well, but that these were the defending WS champs. To get at them like we did in that series, including Craig's monstrous grand slam...whoof. That's when I thought the '06 team was really for real.

Samardzija pitching a gem in Pittsburgh tonight. Just touched 97 in the 7th.

White Sox won. 1 game lead.

Tigers downward spiral continues.

I know eh? I try to sleep at night, but when I close my eyes all I see is Leyland's face.
All I see is his lineup card, and his hand penciling in Raburn in the cleanup spot.

I love watching the video of the Tigers Advancing past the Yankees from 2006. What a great time that was!! Did any of you get that champagne sprayed on them? I was only able to watch on TV that year.

Looking back at old Tigers videos posted above I was trying to find Thames homer madness where he said "wow" after he hit it. He was killing the ball at that point of the season. Seems like it was in LA but not sure. Anyway, I did find this...Raburn's 7 RBI night against the Sux. :knocked:

Major League Baseball: Media Player

Looking back at old Tigers videos posted above I was trying to find Thames homer madness where he said "wow" after he hit it. He was killing the ball at that point of the season. Seems like it was in LA but not sure. Anyway, I did find this...Raburn's 7 RBI night against the Sux. :knocked:

Major League Baseball: Media Player

awesome. just awesome. too bad he can't hit anymore.

BUMP!

I didn't want to start a new thread and it took a while to search this one out.

But I really dislike off-days. At least we won the last 2 games, it makes a day off a little more tolerable.

The Tigers seem to have done this several times this season, lose the 1st game of a 3 game series and then win the next 2 games to take the series. If I have time later, I'll go through the schedule and see how many times they've done it. Seems like it's been at least 4 or 5 times?

Also the 25 man roster. At this time last year to now, I bet there's been a huge turnover. We know Maggs and Guillen were finished, but they were veteran players who have been thru the pressure of the race. As well as VMart. His veteran leadership is missed the most, IMO. People think we're going to be awesome next year, 3 thru 5, but VMart has a lot of work to do to get his stroke back. It's asking a lot from him to take a year off and come back hitting like we know he can. He may need more than ST to get his stroke back, he may even need a month or two to get his timing back. Sure hope I'm wrong about that.

But can you imagine Cabby, Prince and VMart hitting 3 thru 5? Awesome. Not much speed, I guess you could say that's the only drawback?

I really like Mike Trout, but I'm rooting for him to slide for the rest of the season. Cabrera deserves at least one MVP in his career. This season really reminds me of 2010, where Miguel finished 2nd in the MVP voting. He had a fantastic season, but Hamilton ended up having a career year.

A Trout slump would also help Miggy in his outside shot for the triple crown. .012 behind Trout for BA, 4 HR behind Dunn and Hamilton, and leads AL in RBI. That'd be cool to see.

I'd prefer Trout to keep killing it, but Cabrera going on a tear so impressive that it doesn't matter what Trout does. Wouldn't mind if the rest of the Angels batted .100 the rest of the way though.

If the Tigers somehow manage to win the WS this year, Trout can have MVP, Weaver can have the Cy Young and Sciosia can win manager of the year.

I want the biggest trophy for the Tigers.

A huge stand out moment that I forgot about last night/this morning was that Craig Monroe had such a huge impact on that CWS series in the middle of the year.

I remember thinking so much about how we had been playing super well, but that these were the defending WS champs. To get at them like we did in that series, including Craig's monstrous grand slam...whoof. That's when I thought the '06 team was really for real.

I remember I was rebuilding all of the soffits on my old house, had a ton of lumber in the front yard, sawing and nailing and what-not all week, and that series made it oh-so-fun....when Monroe hit the Grand Slam I almost cut my finger off!

I paged around the 2006 video highlights and was just amazed at all of the fun stuff, especially during the incredible 76-36 start....just amazing game after amazing game....Pudge's HR against Carmona on August 5th...ridiculous! Even during the 19-31 slide they provided some great games, like Monroe's game-winner in NY on August 30th -- I was just about to see a late movie with my wife and we waited in the car and heard that shot...

All the more sweet because it pretty much came out of nowhere, with a bunch of so-so players like Monroe/Thames/Roberston/Shelton and even our stars like Ordonez and Polanco had sub-par seasons (Polanco especially), and Pudge was pretty good for a catcher but didn't add a whole lot offensively. Only Guillen hit like a star all the way through -- he was the only player with more than 100 RCs on the team, Grandy was second with 91.

What an outrageously good season that was....2006 baby....

Off days suck. Oh well, Cleveland Browns 35, Green Bay Packers 10. Yes I'm a Browns fan, you would be too if you got to watch Jim Brown on TV every Sunday when you were 11 years old.

I used to be a Cleveland Browns fan too because the Patriots were a joke and I wanted to be a contrarian rooting for midwest teams. My hero was Brian Sipe for a couple of years. He was so clutch. And then he wasn't and some other QB became clutch for a year. That's when I first began to question the clutchness skill.

Off days suck. Oh well, Cleveland Browns 35, Green Bay Packers 10. Yes I'm a Browns fan, you would be too if you got to watch Jim Brown on TV every Sunday when you were 11 years old.

I don't know why I'm a Browns fan. But the good thing about being a Browns fan is that you don't have to worry about making plans to catch playoff games.