MIguy

7/21/12 - Tigers are in first place

The thing is that every phase of this team could still be dramatically better for the balance of the season vs. the first 95 games: hitting (virtually every player in the lineup has had a much better season-long slash line in at least one of their last two seasons except for AJax), pitching (Porcello, Scherzer, Fister, Benoit, Valverde have all had better stat lines in at least one of the last two seasons), and of course the defense could not be worse than it's been for the first 95 games, which of course has affected the pitching.

Ill have my crow with Frank's Red Hot. I put that **** on everything.

After 95 games last year, the Tigers were 50-45 (2012: 51-44) and 0.5 GB Cleveland (2012:0.5 lead over Chicago). After 95 games last year, the Tigers' run differential was -18 (2012: +19). The '11 Tigers had also played one more home game in their first 95 games than the '12 Tigers.

Edited by lordstanley

Dombrowski fired yet? What about Leyland. :wink:

Leyland is a genius. So many wanted him fired but he really turned things around with his deft mid-course correction of strategy and field generalship. I knew he'd pull the team through.

I mean, not to get too comfortable, because this team could still collapse again and easily not make the playoffs, but the lesson is that baseball seasons are long, so freaking out over a month or two at the beginning of the season is usually an overreaction.

I'd much rather things be the way they are this year, rather than being in first place up until the All-Star break, and then fading into obscurity.

It was an overreaction to say the season was over, but it was not an overreaction to be concerned about the way they were playing a few weeks ago. I'm not one who gets swayed easily by small sample sizes, but their play was alarmingly bad, especially the defense. They have gotten better in all phases since then.

Concern was fine but I think its silly to not be excited now. Sure, nothing is guaranteed and its only .5 games, but we have come a long way. We deserve to celebrate a little and enjoy the run we are on.

Concern was fine but I think its silly to not be excited now. Sure, nothing is guaranteed and its only .5 games, but we have come a long way. We deserve to celebrate a little and enjoy the run we are on.

Did someone say we shouldn't enjoy the run they are on?

Yeah, some of the early play was very concerning, but the bottom line is that this team has talent, and most teams with talent eventually figure it out.

Earlier on, the bullpen absolutely saved this team from disaster. Now the rotation is looking great

and there is production from the OF, shortstop, and lately even at DH. If Raburn or Avila catch

fire, this team becomes one of the elite clubs around. Still wouldn't mind having Infante and Ryan

Dempster though! :-)