tigermojo

Baseball's First Draft Lottery 1:30PM Today

Just when I was starting to forget how dumb the new CBA is, well maybe the Tigers will inexplicably get a free draft pick out of the deal

Does anyone know how revenue sharing works and how the Tigers qualified for it last year?

I really don't know. My guess is that debt is somehow factored in which qualified the tigers for some small amount of revenue sharing.

I really don't know. My guess is that debt is somehow factored in which qualified the tigers for some small amount of revenue sharing.

How would an outlay have anything to do with revenue sharing?

How would an outlay have anything to do with revenue sharing?

Perhaps as part of an incentive for teams to build new stadiums, the debt incurred could be a factor, along with revenues, in determining which teams get assistance.

Of the 14 total teams, 12 picks means 2 were left out.

Rays & Cardinals

Round A after the 1st round, Round B after the 2nd round

Perhaps as part of an incentive for teams to build new stadiums, the debt incurred could be a factor, along with revenues, in determining which teams get assistance.

It's simply based on revenue. The Tigers had less revenue than was put in the shared pool. Revenue would have nothing to do with any kind of outlay.

So, the Tigers get the equivalent of a late second/ early third rounder. That could be a useful trade chip. Of course, they could just keep it. It's a nice bonus for a high payroll team.

Very happy to hear the Tigers scored a pick. Great trade chip, or a way to restock the system, especially as we're likely to see a few prospects moved by the deadline. According to Rob Neyer, the Tigers bonus pick will be around 75 overall... That's 16 picks earlier than their top pick this year.

Also, the money allotted in the draft, for this pick, is a valuable asset. Could allow the Tigers to sign an overslot guy in the first or second round.

Overall, these Round B picks will be roughly the 70th to 75th picks in next June's draft.

Royals, Pirates Score First 2 Picks In New Draft Scheme - Baseball Nation

It's simply based on revenue. The Tigers had less revenue than was put in the shared pool. Revenue would have nothing to do with any kind of outlay.

Then why didn't you just say so?

I just can't figure what the difference is between Seattle, Detroit, and Minnesota. Those were the only three teams in a bottom 15 market that were not bottom 10 in market or revenue. Only Detroit received revenue sharing among the three and made the lottery.

The twins have been selling out their stadium for the last two years so they are making a good amount of money. The mariners have not done so, drawing far fewer fans than the tigers recently.

The mariners have no debt. The tigers have debt.

If it was only based on revenues, I would think that Seattle would have been in the lottery as well.

I did a bit of digging.

Revenue sharing is based on a team's net local revenue.

Net local revenue is calculated as gross revenue from all sources, minus central revenue (national tv) and further minus actual stadium expense.

Actual stadium expense is actual money paid out (an outlay if you will) by a club for its stadium.

Any of that incorrect, edman?

I did a bit of digging.

Revenue sharing is based on a team's net local revenue.

Net local revenue is calculated as gross revenue from all sources, minus central revenue (national tv) and further minus actual stadium expense.

Actual stadium expense is actual money paid out (an outlay if you will) by a club for its stadium.

Any of that incorrect, edman?

Good job of digging. I'm not sure debt payments would be included in stadium expenses..

I'm glad the Tigers got this pick, as a team that spends such little money and has struggled so badly in the standings the last few years they really deserve it.