STLTiger69

2012 Trade Deadline Discussion thread!!!

huh?

James Shields » Statistics » Pitctehing | FanGraphs Baseball

Strong FIP, better xFIP due to an out of whack home run rate, better than normal ground ball rate, his usual K and BB rates. He's basically doing his normal thing with worse D behind him and a little bad luck on fly balls becoming homers.

edit - plus he's good for 6.5 innings a start and is under team control at a good price for a while.

I had actually touted Shields as a possible Cy Young winner this year. Whups. He's definitely much better than his 2012 ERA suggests.

If we get a SP, I tend to think we will miss out any big guns that are traded (if any) and instead get a back-end guy who can start or be counted on as an additional reliever. Given that we have made a few in-season trades the last few years within the division (Peralta, Young), I wouldn't be surprised if we made a run at Liriano.

Latest from Trade Rumors:

Several teams, including the Tigers and Angels, had scouts in attendance for Rays right-hander James Shields' start against Seattle today, write Jon Paul Morosi and Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. The Red Sox, Yankees, Pirates, Giants, and Blue Jays also had scouts on hand, indicating that Shields could be a hot commodity as the deadline approaches. As for Detroit, sources say that the Tigers have had interest in Shields for years and could ply him away with catching prospects Rob Brantly and James McCann.

Deal.

If that's all it would take I'm not sure why this hasn't happened already.

Then make the deal for Infante or Barney and let's get on with it.

Edited by Freehan_1968

If you could get Shields without giving up Turner or Casty, go for it.

He'd be an ok number 4 or 5.

An update and a bit of speculation from the twittersphere...

DKnobler ‏@DKnobler

Tigers' goal on trade market remains a difference-making starting pitcher. Not sure they'll be able to get one.

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi

If #Cubs like #Tigers Class AA reliever Bruce Rondon, I could see a fit between the teams for Ryan Dempster. But long way from that to deal.

I saw Bruce Rondon pitch two weeks ago at Erie and the guy brings some serious heat (97 MPH)....no surprise that he has control issues, but he has some raw potential. Classic DD flame-thrower.

Angels appear to be making a deal...(not done yet) for Shields and Zobrist for some MLB bats...not sure of the names.

Angels appear to be making a deal...(not done yet) for Shields and Zobrist for some MLB bats...not sure of the names.

If the Rays get Peter Bourjos from the Angels that would mean a lot higher probability that BJ Upton gets traded.

Where did you see that? I can't imagine the Rays trading Zobrist. He's awesome.

Heard Jim Bowden call in to MLB radio about an hour ago.

its noise...but just passing it along.

That rotation when healthy would be the deepest I can recall. Weaver, Haren, Shields, Wilson, whomever. Wow. I hope it doesn't get done.

He's no Jim Thome.

If Zobrist is available he would awfully good at 2nd base for the Tigers. Of course, if the Rays want a talented outfielder in exchange that probably isn't possible.

I don't see what the Angels could really trade for these guys though. Morales, Bourjos, ??? they'd have to be throwing in some serious prospects I'd think.

Also, Dodgers and Tigers reportedly now OUT on Dempster....it's down to Braves, Nationals & Cardinals in Dempster sweepstakes.

FWIW,

White Sox just acquired Brett Myers from Astros.

They needed a little age in their BP...

FWIW,

White Sox just acquired Brett Myers from Astros.

He's got a $10 M option for 2013 that vests if he finishes 45 games, plus a $3M buyout. He's already finished 29, so assuming they use him as a setup guy, that's a $3M buyout for a couple months rental.

If Zobrist and Shields are both in play, I would give up Castellanos in the trade without hesitation. Zobrist has very reasonable team options thru 2015 and we still get Shields for two more years after this year. The Tigers are in win now mode that solves two major holes in one trade. Obviously, Castellanos by himself is not enough but that is one trade that I think makes sense to trade him.

If Zobrist is available he would awfully good at 2nd base for the Tigers. Of course, if the Rays want a talented outfielder in exchange that probably isn't possible.

I don't see what the Angels could really trade for these guys though. Morales, Bourjos, ??? they'd have to be throwing in some serious prospects I'd think.

The Angels don't really have any high upside prospects close to the big leagues now that Trout is not a prospect. I can't imagine them getting those two players without giving up some major league talent.

According to Heyman, Tigers and Angels in on Shields.

The Rays have at least seven starters once Jeff Niemann returns, so they are dealing from strength again. The Rays would seek a young catcher and/or young pitcher.

The Angels want to strengthen their rotation considering Dan Haren's back concern and Ervin Santana's continuing struggles. The Tigers' priority right now appears to be second base, though they are always a threat to do multiple things.

There appears to be "nothing to'' the report of a multiplayer trade with the Angels that was supposed to send Shields and Ben Zobrist to the Angels for Howie Kendrick and a package of younger players, at least for now.

Angels, Tigers eye James Shields, a trade candidate; Rays seek young pitching/catcher - CBSSports.com

If Zobrist and Shields are both in play, I would give up Castellanos in the trade without hesitation. Zobrist has very reasonable team options thru 2015 and we still get Shields for two more years after this year. The Tigers are in win now mode that solves two major holes in one trade. Obviously, Castellanos by himself is not enough but that is one trade that I think makes sense to trade him.

Sounds good to me.

I would give up Castellanos if the trade involved both of these guys, but I would hesitate if it were one or the other.

Both Shields and Zobrist are good players, and neither has a bad contract, but both are 31 years old. I would very much hesitate to trade Castellanos for either one straight up, as I think we're strong enough now to win the division...and I don't think we need to trade away the ONLY prospect we have who *clearly* projects to be a plus hitter in the major leagues (sorry to fans of Avisail Garcia, but he's got a long way to go to be mentioned along with Castellanos).

Interesting that they mention catcher. I know Alex Avila is a fan favorite but I think he is expandable. The Tigers have some depth in the system at catcher. I don't think Avila is as good as he was last year but I also think he is better than he is this year...either way, he is a major upgrade for Tampa and an above average catcher in MLB. It would be a tough pill to swallow to trade him but we have Laird hitting well this year, Martinez coming back next year, and a few guys in the minor leagues who have a decent chance to be platoon players in the big leagues.

I would give up Castellanos if the trade involved both of these guys, but I would hesitate if it were one or the other.

Both Shields and Zobrist are good players, and neither has a bad contract, but both are 31 years old. I would very much hesitate to trade Castellanos for either one straight up, as I think we're strong enough now to win the division...and I don't think we need to trade away the ONLY prospect we have who *clearly* projects to be a plus hitter in the major leagues (sorry to fans of Avisail Garcia, but he's got a long way to go to be mentioned along with Castellanos).

I would not trade Castellanos for one of them either. I do think I am often guilty of overrating prospects though. As much potential as he has, Castellanos still has a sub .800 OPS at Double A this year and has a lot to prove. Most top prospects do not become stars and chances are Castellanos does not become an all-star, although is also not likely to be a bust either. But prospects are so hard to part with because their combination of potential production at low costs for a number of years.