STLTiger69

2012 Trade Deadline Discussion thread!!!

WHOA, is Randy Smith advising both the Jays and Astros ? I'm not sure this will open up the market .

I thought about Randy Smith too. I think those kinds of trades are fun though.

WHOA, is Randy Smith advising both the Jays and Astros ? I'm not sure this will open up the market .

What the.....?!?, Are the Jays having 40 man roster issues and this is their solution?

Both Musgrove (2011) and Wojciechowski (2010) were 1st round picks for Toronto.

Nothing spectacular, but seems like a pretty solid prospect haul for Houston.

What the.....?!?, Are the Jays having 40 man roster issues and this is their solution?

Living close to the Blue Jays A ball team in Lansing and they are going to have an abundance of great prospects coming up soon !! Their organization has really stepped up !

An update and a bit of speculation from the twittersphere...

DKnobler ‏@DKnobler

Tigers' goal on trade market remains a difference-making starting pitcher. Not sure they'll be able to get one.

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi

If #Cubs like #Tigers Class AA reliever Bruce Rondon, I could see a fit between the teams for Ryan Dempster. But long way from that to deal.

An update and a bit of speculation from the twittersphere...

DKnobler ‏@DKnobler

Tigers' goal on trade market remains a difference-making starting pitcher. Not sure they'll be able to get one.

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi

If #Cubs like #Tigers Class AA reliever Bruce Rondon, I could see a fit between the teams for Ryan Dempster. But long way from that to deal.

Something also out there about us and James Shields again.

didnt washburn lead the league in era when we traded for him?

Dempster is an average pitcher having a great year. No need to mortagage the future for him.

Shields' stats are horrendous. I hope that's not the move.

huh?

James Shields » Statistics » Pitctehing | FanGraphs Baseball

Strong FIP, better xFIP due to an out of whack home run rate, better than normal ground ball rate, his usual K and BB rates. He's basically doing his normal thing with worse D behind him and a little bad luck on fly balls becoming homers.

edit - plus he's good for 6.5 innings a start and is under team control at a good price for a while.

Edited by Nastradamus

If Hamels resigns and we are not in on Greinke, not sure who the available, difference making SPs are... Garza? Shields (despite having a poor season)? Certainly not Dempster or Wandy or Liriano.

didnt washburn lead the league in era when we traded for him?

Dempster is an average pitcher having a great year. No need to mortagage the future for him.

Dempster has been pretty consistent through his career, especially of late. You don't trade for him thinking he's the sub 2 ERA guy he is right now, but if you get the mid 3s ERA guy he is normally, that is just fine. He's not hurt like Washburn to my knowledge either.

huh?

James Shields » Statistics » Pitctehing | FanGraphs Baseball

Strong FIP, better xFIP due to an out of whack home run rate, better than normal ground ball rate, his usual K and BB rates. He's basically doing his normal thing with worse D behind him and a little bad luck on fly balls becoming homers.

edit - plus he's good for 6.5 innings a start and is under team control at a good price for a while.

Yeah. And the Tigers' awesome defense will help him.

Overrated.

Yeah. And the Tigers' awesome defense will help him.

Overrated.

sweet, get nobody because our D sucks. Your logic makes no sense. Shields is a very good pitcher who eats innings and produces good results.

Dempster for prospects #3, #4, and #10 is better than Shield for prospects #1, #3, and #10.

Well I wouldn't give that(i.e. Castellanos), but as far as your overall premise, I'm not sure you are correct. Half a year of Dempster, an older NL pitcher or up to 2 and a half years of Shields, a guy who has been consistently successful in the AL East. I don't know for sure which one I"d prefer I guess, but the value of Shields is considerably higher.

There is some thought Dempster wants to stay in the National League...not sure if he would approve a trade to the Tigers or not. I think he wants to go West.

Not sure he is available but I would at least inquire about Felix Hernandez...even though it means trading Castellanos.