DaBishop

Orlando Magic Summer League starts today

You can buy a streaming package through NBA.com for $12 or something like that as well. I did that last summer, but ended up DVRing all of the Pistons games and watching them on TV and not using it.

In protest of wasting my money last year I'll be using illegal streams until I'm back in the States and have access to NBATV!

They looked pretty good. Drummond is r.a.w. But he's one heckuva an athlete. I thought he looked ok, but obviously has no idea what he's doing out there. But he's athletic enough to make plays regardless. However, he makes Chris Dudley look like Steve Nash when it comes to free throws. He is worse than advertised at the line.

Singler looked good, Knight looked good on offense, English looked good. Even Austin Daye made a couple plays.

Middleton did nothing but stand around.

I unfortunately only got to watch the end of the 1st and the 2nd quarter which was absolutely brutal. I though Maklin showed a lot of effort and could be a real energy boost potentially. Drummond LOOKED like the best player out there at times...never played like it, but definitely looked the part. English had some moments too. Nice to be excited about the team for a change.

I unfortunately only got to watch the end of the 1st and the 2nd quarter which was absolutely brutal. I though Maklin showed a lot of effort and could be a real energy boost potentially. Drummond LOOKED like the best player out there at times...never played like it, but definitely looked the part. English had some moments too. Nice to be excited about the team for a change.

I think Macklin is really going to have to fight Gates for a spot. Similar players, but Gates had a significantly greater impact.

Drummond is not going to see the 4th quarter in any game where the Pistons have a lead. I didn't realize this but he shot 29.5% from the free throw line last season (26 of 88). That is brutally bad. "Hack-a-Drummond" coming to the Palace in 2012-13.

Is that Yancy Gates from Cincinnati? I didn't realize he was with the Pistons in the summer league. If he is able to make the Pistons team that suggests the Pistons are in for a very long season next year. He's not close to good enough to be on an NBA team. If he cuts about 30 pounds I could see him having a shot at someone's roster but that's been true since he was a freshman.

found this funny...I'm reading everything I can find about the game yesterday and I've seen it posted that the Pistons had a stretch where they gave up 19 unanswered, 20 unanswered and 21 unanswered points in the 2nd quarter. What's even funnier is I though it was 17 at the time.

[sweet blog]

Very little chance Gates or Macklin make the roster, they are at 15 already if you include the new Euro, 16 if Ben comes back. To get to 15 you'd have to get rid of a guy like, CV, Daye, one of the 2nd round picks, maybe even Bynum. Macklin wasn't given a contract for a reason.

Ben's no guarantee to come back and the Euro is still under contract in Europe and a buy-out has yet to be worked out. That's 14 right now.

Very little chance Gates or Macklin make the roster, they are at 15 already if you include the new Euro, 16 if Ben comes back. To get to 15 you'd have to get rid of a guy like, CV, Daye, one of the 2nd round picks, maybe even Bynum. Macklin wasn't given a contract for a reason.

Agree completely. I don't think either makes the roster. I just think Gates has a better chance than Macklin if they both play like yesterday. Neither does anything offensively, although at least Gates made his dunks (Macklin missed 2 I believe) and both provide similar defense and rebounding, Gates just appeared more aggressive. I don't think there is room/need for either, especially if Wallace comes back, but Macklin was just awful in what I saw of the game (all but the last 3-4 minutes when my DVR stopped recording)

Ben's no guarantee to come back and the Euro is still under contract in Europe and a buy-out has yet to be worked out. That's 14 right now.

In the News today they say there is a pretty good chance Ben comes back.

Source says 'pretty good chance' Ben Wallace returns to Pistons | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

I'd also be shocked if the Euro buy-out isn't done as soon as contracts can be signed tomorrow.

So Tigerz is right, someone else is likely to be moved/cut. I'd love to see the logjam at the SF position dealt with, especially since Singler and English both show promise as reserves behind Maggette, let alone Middleton who probably has more talent than both, but may need a bit more time.

Obviously Amnestying Charlie V. would clear a spot and I don't really see where he fits the team heading into the future. Would rather see them keep all the rookie wings and eat his $.

Drummond is not going to see the 4th quarter in any game where the Pistons have a lead. I didn't realize this but he shot 29.5% from the free throw line last season (26 of 88). That is brutally bad. "Hack-a-Drummond" coming to the Palace in 2012-13.

Yeah, but I think it's going to have to be called something like "Bludgeon-a-Drummond."

I think Daye should be first to go. Guys like Macklin,English and Middleton could end up in D league.

I don't think Macklin (or Gates) makes the roster at all to even get in the D-League (as our represetative anyhow). Watching English' overall game, I think he sticks. Based soley on the 1st game, Middleton is an excellent D league candidate.

Just watched the Pistons/Magic game, a few thoughts:

-Brandon Knight struggled defensively against Orlando's quicker PG's. He struggled to get clean looks off the dribble and tried to pass too much at the end of drives in favor of finishing.

-Drummond is only a presence on defense, offensively very undeveloped.

-Daye was very assertive and making his jumper at will. Defensive liability, shot blocked a minimum of three times in spite of being the tallest player on the court. We can't keep both him and CV on the roster next year, IMO. Whoever we keep will be our shooter off the bench, also IMO.

-English looks like he can play, but wasn't on offensively. I would have liked to have seen him run a little point to give Knight a chance to run off some screens.

-Middleton is not an NBA player at this point, he added nothing to the lineup.

-Singler can still shoot and post a little, but is SLOW and unathletic. If he makes the roster, he shouldn't get much run this year.

-Gates is a nice, big banger who will have a place on a roster someday. Showed a nice jump hook and mid-range jumper, good rebounder. I see some Rick Mahorn in this kid.

-Macklin is a real space-eater but lacks talent. The new influx of bigs keeps him off the roster.

Nicholson may end up being the steal of the draft for Orlando. He has a nice inside-out game and can bang/rebound. Looks like a legit NBA 4 to me.

Edited by mickeyb105

Just watched the Pistons/Magic game, a few thoughts:

-Brandon Knight struggled defensively against Orlando's quicker PG's. He struggled to get clean looks off the dribble and tried to pass too much at the end of drives in favor of finishing.

-Drummond is only a presence on defense, offensively very undeveloped.

-Daye was very assertive and making his jumper at will. Defensive liability, shot blocked a minimum of three times in spite of being the tallest player on the court. We can't keep both him and CV on the roster next year, IMO. Whoever we keep will be our shooter off the bench, also IMO.

-English looks like he can play, but wasn't on offensively. I would have liked to have seen him run a little point to give Knight a chance to run off some screens.

-Middleton is not an NBA player at this point, he added nothing to the lineup.

-Singler can still shoot and post a little, but is SLOW and unathletic. If he makes the roster, he shouldn't get much run this year.

-Gates is a nice, big banger who will have a place on a roster someday. Showed a nice jump hook and mid-range jumper, good rebounder. I see some Rick Mahorn in this kid.

-Macklin is a real space-eater but lacks talent. The new influx of bigs keeps him off the roster.

Nicholson may end up being the steal of the draft for Orlando. He has a nice inside-out game and can bang/rebound. Looks like a legit NBA 4 to me.

Drummond had a very poor game, especially in comparison to Monday's. But that is kind of expected of an 18 year old. He did show some things I was impressed with - a great pass out of the double team to an open English and some quick hands getting a couple more steals. He tried a couple dunks he probably shouldn't have, but the encouraging thing was he had the athleticismm to even try. Got his shot blocked a couple times, which he needs to learn a couple moves to prevent.

English wasn't shooting as well as Monday, but still showed he will likely be the backup 2 - He is not a point and never should be running point. If anything he will get some time at the 3 before the point.

Middleton was better than Monday, but it looks like he is going to take some time in the D League - has the talent to play, but needs to learn a lot more.

Singler has impressed me and I think he is pretty athletic. He didn't have as good of a game as Monday, but still had a decent game. I think he could be a solid bench 3.

I like Gates better than Macklin, but see no spot or need for either on the team, especially with a full roster and the player than can at best hope to be in Maxiel on the roster.

Daye was much better yesterday than Monday, and can really shoot when he is on, but he should be playing like that in his 4th year going against a bunch of rookies and hopefuls. I hope if Joe gets offered a 2nd for him, he takes it.

Yeah, but I think it's going to have to be called something like "Bludgeon-a-Drummond."

LOL, nice one...I think you coined the new phrase...maybe trademark it, so that you can bill George Blaha and Greg Kelser whenever they say it. :silly:

Drummond had a very poor game, especially in comparison to Monday's. But that is kind of expected of an 18 year old. He did show some things I was impressed with - a great pass out of the double team to an open English and some quick hands getting a couple more steals. He tried a couple dunks he probably shouldn't have, but the encouraging thing was he had the athleticismm to even try. Got his shot blocked a couple times, which he needs to learn a couple moves to prevent.

English wasn't shooting as well as Monday, but still showed he will likely be the backup 2 - He is not a point and never should be running point. If anything he will get some time at the 3 before the point.

Middleton was better than Monday, but it looks like he is going to take some time in the D League - has the talent to play, but needs to learn a lot more.

Singler has impressed me and I think he is pretty athletic. He didn't have as good of a game as Monday, but still had a decent game. I think he could be a solid bench 3.

I like Gates better than Macklin, but see no spot or need for either on the team, especially with a full roster and the player than can at best hope to be in Maxiel on the roster.

Daye was much better yesterday than Monday, and can really shoot when he is on, but he should be playing like that in his 4th year going against a bunch of rookies and hopefuls. I hope if Joe gets offered a 2nd for him, he takes it.

Today v. OKC

Knight struggled again running and defending the point. I'm not sure if he was still gassed from the other night covering a couple of really fast pg's, but he looked off all-around. His decision making with the ball was a little concerning.

Drummond came out in the first quarter ready to play—he looked great, but still doesn't finish real well yet. Rebounding was nice. Made a block in the 4th that Big Ben would have been proud of.

English showed his shooting touch and some athletic ability. He has a shot to make the roster, I think. BTW, English can handle well enough to give Knight a break every now and then against a quicker pg—I believe it was DraftExpress who remarked at how well he ran the point somewhere during the pre-draft/post-season camps. If Prince did it for Billups years back, it certainly looks like English could do it a few times per quarter.

Middleton looked better on Wed, but I would like to see more of this mid-range jumper he was known for.

Gates needs to play in the D-League this year, IMO, to build up his game. I don't see a whole lot of similarity between him and Max other than alma mater.

Second time seeing Singler play since coming back from Spain, and I still don't see him as anything but insurance. And if you are saying he looks athletic . . . compared to who? As far as him being a solid bench 3, maybe eventually he could be a rotation guy. I don't see a spot for him in ours this season. Prince, JJ, Magette and Daye (or) CV will all get minutes at the 3 this year, and at the 4 he's fighting some of those same guys plus Monroe and Max.

Daye is markedly more assertive in the two times I've seen him. He did a decent job providing help defense today, and if he keeps doing this he will either increase his trade value (for what that is worth) or he'll get some playing time. It is hard know how his improved summer league play will translate to the regular season, but if you put away all past prejudices about his play, an easy argument can be made about him being our best player in Orlando through the first few games.

Edited by mickeyb105

Middleton looks rotten today. Daye is the NBA version of a AAAA player. English has a really pretty stroke. Drummond looks solid if not spectacular. Really needs to learn how to block out. Knight is still too sloppy. Other than that, this game so far has given me nothing. I still like Macklin's energy but I agree he's not very good. Defensively we're looking pretty poor as well.

Drummond came out in the first quarter ready to play—he looked great, but still doesn't finish real well yet. Rebounding was nice. Made a block in the 4th that Big Ben would have been proud of.

Glad to hear.

English showed his shooting touch and some athletic ability. He has a shot to make the roster, I think. BTW, English can handle well enough to give Knight a break every now and then against a quicker pg—I believe it was DraftExpress who remarked at how well he ran the point somewhere during the pre-draft/post-season camps. If Prince did it for Billups years back, it certainly looks like English could do it a few times per quarter.

With Bynum and Stuckey on the roster, I just don't see English needing doing that. He played the 4 in college (due to their roster) and I see him as a 2-3. From the 1st 2 games, he doesn't seem to have the mentality of a point at all - a couple times he took it himself when he clearly should have given it up.

Second time seeing Singler play since coming back from Spain, and I still don't see him as anything but insurance. And if you are saying he looks athletic . . . compared to who? As far as him being a solid bench 3, maybe eventually he could be a rotation guy. I don't see a spot for him in ours this season. Prince, JJ, Magette and Daye (or) CV will all get minutes at the 3 this year, and at the 4 he's fighting some of those same guys plus Monroe and Max

I'd be shocked to see CV get time anywhere on the 2012-13 Pistons let alone at the 3. I also think at least 1, likely 2 of the other 4 you listed are gone at the start of the year. Because of defense and all around game, I think Singler would get minutes at the 3 before Daye would - if he isn't traded I could see Daye getting some time at the 2.

I do think JJ and whichever of Maggette/Prince is still on the team would be ahead of Singler, but I could also see JJ getting a significant amount of time as a backup 4.

As far as Gates - no room on the roster let alone is he ready for any PT. Similarity between him and Max - size and role - defensive/rebounding, dunks, and screens. Max is more athletic and has somewhat of a 15 ft shot.

If Brandon Knight struggles in the summer league, I will become very worried.

Drummond/Monroe will set the record for steals by a bigman combo, Drummond is a steal machine out there. I really hope they bring Ben W back, between Monroe/BenW they can help train this guy. Drummond is just a perfect match for Monroe, he doesn't have to do much to be an upgrade over last year even.