Sign in to follow this  
MotownWebGuy

Schilling Autograph prices dropping?

Read a story this morning about Curt Schilling claiming he has probably blown his entire baseball fortune... Based on this information, would you suspect that the cost of his autograph in the future would drop?

Curt Schilling: Baseball fortune 'probably all gone'

My feeling is that in the near future he may start to depend on income from autograph shows and therefore will do more than he would if he had millions in the bank. As a result, his asking price will drop since he will be out there more often. Would you suspect the same?

I have a collection of baseballs autographed by HOFers, and I fear that with the millions of dollars that the top players are making today, that it will be difficult (or very expensive) for me to continue this collection someday because future HOFers will not need to do shows anymore and if they do, they will charge outrageous prices.

What do you think?

Read a story this morning about Curt Schilling claiming he has probably blown his entire baseball fortune... Based on this information, would you suspect that the cost of his autograph in the future would drop?

Curt Schilling: Baseball fortune 'probably all gone'

My feeling is that in the near future he may start to depend on income from autograph shows and therefore will do more than he would if he had millions in the bank. As a result, his asking price will drop since he will be out there more often. Would you suspect the same?

I have a collection of baseballs autographed by HOFers, and I fear that with the millions of dollars that the top players are making today, that it will be difficult (or very expensive) for me to continue this collection someday because future HOFers will not need to do shows anymore and if they do, they will charge outrageous prices.

What do you think?

Nothing I can really add...I agree with your entire post. The biggest problem for Schilling is that the money in autographs is nowhere near what he was able to make on the field. He and his family will never go hungry, but that war chest he built up is probably gone for good.

I suspect that Schilling isn't as financially devastated as he letting on. I think he's pleading poverty because he knows he's likely to be the target of lawsuits or on the hook for personal guarantees. I don't believe anyone, not even a Red Sox player, can be THAT stupid.

What do you think?

I've been thinking the same thing. I have autographs of 86 HOFers and I don't see myself having much more success due to the costs that some of the players charge. I don't see Jeter, ARod, and others signing thru the mail once they're elected. Also, I don't see myself spending $100 a pop for their signatures.

Just my two cents.