STLTiger69

Trade options to get an infielder?

Not a bad thought, but here's what is going on. For the Tigers to call him up, they would have to add him to the 40 man roster, which means someone would likely have to be taken off the 40 man roster, and that might be a problem.

Secondly,

Romero is having a great year at AA....In his 8th season of baseball, at AA. He was at AAA level in 2009 and sent back to AA level in 2011, that's sort of a red flag. It's not uncommon for a player to get sent up and then back down to a lower level, but after 8 seasons that's not a big vote of confidence. Also Romero did see some major league action in 2009 (10 games with Cleveland) and 2010 (2 games with Boston) but that limited time of MLB action and the fact he's now in AA means that I don't think Romero is viewed anymore as a serious option for a major league team (not for Cleveland, Boston, Toronto, New York Mets, Philidelphia or so far the Tigers). He's what's called I believe an "organizational filler".

So far in three seasons in AA he's done this;

.270 BA .333 OBP .347 SLG .680 OPS

And in three seasons at AAA, he's done this;

.245 Avg. .310 OBP .306 SLG .615 OPS

I understand he may have good range, but he's not hitting enough to make the majors right now and has not really demonstrated that he's better than anybody else that the Tigers currently have.

But this is just my take on it....

If we make a trade they may have to make a 40-man move as well...depending who we trade. Nevertheless, they're not going to let a roster move prevent them from improving the team.

PS: The Astros have ZERO decent LH'ed hitters, especially any with power... would they take a chance on Boesch?

Based on everything I've seen, the Astros would have to be complete idiots to associate either attribute with Boesch. He's proven at a minimum that he has below average power and is an incompetent hack at the plate.

Boesch is a left-handed Delmon. Neither has much if any trade value. Only a desperate team with a complete lack of organizational depth would have either playing at the MLB level.

Where Boesch has value is for a team looking to dump a high salary and have a player (even a marginal one) to plug in the starting lineup. A scenario for that would be the Cubs - who probably would want to get rid of Alfonso Soriano at this point and Boesch could be part of a package of guys to do that. But why would the Tigers want to take on another $18 million player, who has been a disappointment that they would be stuck with for 2 more years? I think if the Tigers are looking to deal with the Cubs, it would be for Matt Garza. I could see a Boesch & Porcello for Matt Garza trade. Porcello might be perfect for Wrigley - he's a ground ball pitcher and his biggest weakness is pitching for a team with a terrible defense.

As far as the Astros - why would they give up a 22 year old starter when they are rebuilidng? If you wanted to target someone from the Astros, I would imagine it would be Carlos Lee (who the Tigers don't need) or Wandy Rodriquez, who I would be cautious about because he might get destroyed by AL hitters.

The other obvious places would be the Padres who have only one high-priced player who is not that good defensively and the Rockies who aren't going to part with the two young position players you'd want from them (Troy Tulowitzki and Carlos Gonzalez. And I would stay away from any pitchers out of Colorado - they hit a wall by their late 20s and never seem to bounce back. I know some folks think of Marco Scutaro - but isn't he just kind of another version of Ramon Santiago who finally seems to be hitting his stride?

I don't think the Tigers need a DH. Victor's gonna be back by the end of August and the team should still be within 5 games of the lead by then. Hopefully Dirks comes back nice and healthy and plays the way he was before the injury. I can see the Polanco possibility, sure, but don't expect the same guy we use to have......there's a lot of wear and tear on that body and he probably doesn't have nearly the range he used to at 2B.

I think the Tigers should be targeting a starting pitcher, not give up too much for one and pray that Victor comes back by around August 20th and is even 80% of the Victor we are used to.

Thank goodness we are in the AL Central..............

Edited by Motor City Sonics

From Nick Cafardo's column today in the Boston Globe...

About six teams have been in contact with the Cubs consistently regarding Matt Garza: the Braves, Tigers, Cardinals, Red Sox, Jays, and Royals. Epstein is looking for a great package to part with Garza as he is the club's biggest chip. However, teams have some concern over whether the pitcher can control his emotions.

The Tigers could be heavily in the mix for Astros shortstop Jed Lowrie and Detroit would likely move him to second to fill a need. Cafardo wouldn't be shocked if he is on the Phillies’ radar as well. Houston has a few other chips in Brett Myers, Brandon Lyon, and Wandy Rodriguez that could help contenders.

Yankees may be in a position to build healthy lead - Sports - The Boston Globe

Boesch is a left-handed Delmon. Neither has much if any trade value. Only a desperate team with a complete lack of organizational depth would have either playing at the MLB level.

Yup - at this point Boesch would have to show he can put up at least another 100-150 AB at a 300+ OBP before another team wouldn't be dumb to even inquire.

Ben Guez has a .957 OPS in June at Toledo if the Tigers are looking for an outfielder who can hit.

Ben Guez has a .957 OPS in June at Toledo if the Tigers are looking for an outfielder who can hit.

He's had a very good year. I have to think he gets called up at some point... it wouldn't hurt a bit to send Boesch down.

He's had a very good year. I have to think he gets called up at some point... it wouldn't hurt a bit to send Boesch down.

Leyland mentioned yesterday that Boesch and Young need to start hitting. He does not usually name names like that. So, I wouldn't be surprised to see Boesch sent down soon.

Does anybody else believe Lowrie is not that attractive of an option? We would basically be buying high on a guy who is a career .250 hitter without much power. I would love to have him as our second baseman but given what the likely price tag on him is, I don't really see him as a good option as a trade target.

Does anybody else believe Lowrie is not that attractive of an option? We would basically be buying high on a guy who is a career .250 hitter without much power. I would love to have him as our second baseman but given what the likely price tag on him is, I don't really see him as a good option as a trade target.

Do they need a second baseman if Santiago keeps hitting around .270 - .285 for the rest of the season?

Lowrie is a injury concern, but take a look at his average per 162 games over his career and let me know what you think;

527 AB's 16HR's 75RBI's 3SB 1CS 61BB 112K's .256BA .331 OBP .427 SLG. 758OPS

Ramon Santiago's career 162 game average;

435AB's 6HR's 41RBI's 6SB 3CS 33BB 73K's .248BA .316 OBP .341 SLG .656 OPS

Do they need a second baseman if Santiago keeps hitting around .270 - .285 for the rest of the season?

Santiago is hitting .233 right now, respectfully I think the Tigers would also keep anyone who can raise their batting average by about 40-52 points too......

Santiago is hitting .233 right now, respectfully I think the Tigers would also keep anyone who can raise their batting average by about 40-52 points too......

The last 30 games he's hitting .286/.375/.390. I believe MCS was saying if he can sustain that.

The last 30 games he's hitting .286/.375/.390. I believe MCS was saying if he can sustain that.

Fair enough!

Lowrie is a injury concern, but take a look at his average per 162 games over his career and let me know what you think;

527 AB's 16HR's 75RBI's 3SB 1CS 61BB 112K's .256BA .331 OBP .427 SLG. 758OPS

Ramon Santiago's career 162 game average;

435AB's 6HR's 41RBI's 6SB 3CS 33BB 73K's .248BA .316 OBP .341 SLG .656 OPS

Santiago is a poor starter; not going to argue that. I just would rather not buy high on Lowrie. You are basically getting a hitter very similar to Johnny Peralta. If we could acquire Lowrie for a package similar to Peralta (or even a little more), it is a no brainer. But that is not at all the case.

Unless the asking price for Lowrie is really high, they should make this deal. I think we could look forward to Carlos Guillen type of production from this guy, and that is good from the 2B spot. Adding another switch hitter to the lineup is always nice, too.

The book on this kid was that he was injury-prone, smart player (you have to be accepted to Stanford before they can recruit you) with gap power. Good for him for putting it all together this year, at the Berry-eque age of 28.

He's not expensive, arb elg in 2013 but under contract until 2015. The kid could help us out a lot.

I agree that we'd be buying high on Lowrie. However, I think his numbers this year are somewhat legit. This is really the first year where he's been given an extended opportunity and managed to stay healthy. He certainly comes with some risk, especially health, and hopefully that lessens his trade value. I certainly wouldn't empty the vault for him, but he does appear to be the one significant upgrade at 2b that might be available in trade.

Considering where Houston is as an organization and because of Lowrie's injury risk/age, it seems to me that it makes sense to try and get the best deal they can for him while his value (is probably) at its highest.

If the cost on him is too high, then maybe DD focuses more on upgrading an OF corner (which probably should be done anyway).

I agree that we'd be buying high on Lowrie. However, I think his numbers this year are somewhat legit. This is really the first year where he's been given an extended opportunity and managed to stay healthy. He certainly comes with some risk, especially health, and hopefully that lessens his trade value. I certainly wouldn't empty the vault for him, but he does appear to be the one significant upgrade at 2b that might be available in trade.

Considering where Houston is as an organization and because of Lowrie's injury risk/age, it seems to me that it makes sense to try and get the best deal they can for him while his value (is probably) at its highest.

If the cost on him is too high, then maybe DD focuses more on upgrading an OF corner (which probably should be done anyway).

That is a huge comparison. Guillen did not have an OPS under .800 his first five years in Detroit (starting with his age 28 season) and had two seasons over .900. Lowrie's minor league numbers are impressive so maybe he is worth the price but it seems like a lot of risk to me if the price is Castellanos...which it will be.

Jose Altuve was removed in the fifth inning the Astros’ game against the Indians today with what the Astros are calling a mild strain of his right hamstring. He is day-to-day and said he expects to be back in the lineup “soon.”

Altuve suffered the injury while running out a groundout to shortstop in the fourth inning. He limped around a bit once he crossed first base and walked off the field with trainer Nate Lucero. He was replaced by Brian Bixler at second base to start the fifth inning.

“It’s not that bad,” Altuve said. ”I just felt it a little bit … and they decided to take me out of the game. But I feel like I can play soon.”

Altuve has been the Astros’ most consistent presence in the starting lineup, starting 69 of the 72 games including today’s series finale.

Ultimate Astros » Jose Altuve leaves Astros game with injured hamstring

That is a huge comparison. Guillen did not have an OPS under .800 his first five years in Detroit (starting with his age 28 season) and had two seasons over .900. Lowrie's minor league numbers are impressive so maybe he is worth the price but it seems like a lot of risk to me if the price is Castellanos...which it will be.

No way Lowrie costs Castellanos or Turner.

No way Lowrie costs Castellanos or Turner.

Then we won't get him. You can't trade B to C level prospects for solid major league starters. If Lowrie was having a down season, then maybe we could get him for less but his stock is on the rise right now and it will take more to get him than an Oliver, Crosby, or whoever else gets talked about in trade discussions.