STLTiger69

Trade options to get an infielder?

Seager and Ackley are both better at 2b, than 3b or OF; maybe DD can pry one loose.

Not sure if we match up well with Ms as they have catching and pitching depth and need offense.

Problem is, everyone will ask for Castellanos.

Package built around Boesch?

Jose turned 22 years old 45 days ago.

Jose is a Shortstop and a major piece the Astros will need to build with.

What would lead anyone to think the Astros GM would move him?

I'm pretty sure Altuve hasn't played a single out at shortstop in the majors.

Both those links use a claim from the same source, Ken Rosenthal. So basically it is just Ken Rosenthal floating the idea.

His idea that that the Astros would move Altuve to make room for Jimmy Paredes, a guy who is hitting worse in AAA than Jose is hitting in MLB now, and has the added benefit of being older. I don't see it. If anything, Altuve makes Paredes expendible, not the other way round. I also struggle with the notion of a team trading young assets to get young. It doesn't make much sense.

Besides, they can always move Altuve later when he gets closer to free agency.

Well, I would say I'd expect it to be easier to find a good OF in free agency or trade than a good 2B.

It probably is, but the Tigers have had a hard time finding one the last few years. It's hard to acquire any good players through free agency without paying a fortune.

I should add this - the only way I would trade Altuve, if I were the GM of the Astros, were if I suspected Jose were playing way over his head, and I try to sell high. I think I said the same thing about trading Austin Jackson. The only way I would even consider trading him was if I were convinced, for whatever reason, he was going to crash to earth, so I need to sell high.

As such, if I were the GM of another team, and Altuve were made available to me, I'd be worried there was something I didn't know (injury, drug problem, personality conflicts, fundamental flaw(s) in his approach to the game, etc.).

It probably is, but the Tigers have had a hard time finding one the last few years. It's hard to acquire any good players through free agency without paying a fortune.

Free agent outfielders for the 2013 season;

(for next year alone, the possiblites include)

Josh Hamilton

Melky Cabrera

Michael Bourn

Cody Ross

B.J. Upton

Carlos Quentin

Ichiro Suzuki

Nick Swisher

Any free agent outfielders that you like there?

Last year the Tigers passed on David DeJesus (2yrs/$10M total +$1.5M option/buyout), Josh Willingham (3yrs /$21M total), Cody Ross (1 year, $3M), Yoenis Cespedes (4yrs /$36M total), Carlos Beltran (2yrs/ $26M total).

Infielders;

Wanna see the complete list for 2013? -The players age in 2013 is in ()

Second basemen

Jeff Baker (32)

Robinson Cano (30) - $15MM club option with a $2MM buyout

Mike Fontenot (33)

Orlando Hudson (35) - $8MM club option with a $2MM buyout

Maicer Izturis (32)

Kelly Johnson (31)

Adam Kennedy (37)

Jeff Keppinger (33)

Jose Lopez (29)

Aaron Miles (36)

Freddy Sanchez (35)

Ryan Theriot (33)

Shortstops

Jason Bartlett (33) - $5.5MM club option with a $1.5MM buyout; vests with 432 PAs in 2012

Yuniesky Betancourt (31)

Geoff Blum (39)

Ronny Cedeno (30)

Stephen Drew (30) - $10MM mutual option with a $1.35MM buyout

Alex Gonzalez (35) - vesting option

Cesar Izturis (33)

Jhonny Peralta (31) - $6MM club option with a $500K buyout

Marco Scutaro (37)

Miguel Tejada (39)

Ryan Theriot (33)

Omar Vizquel (46)

Jack Wilson (35)

Third basemen

Geoff Blum (39)

Miguel Cairo (39)

Eric Chavez (35)

Mark DeRosa (38)

Brandon Inge (36)

Maicer Izturis (32)

Jose Lopez (29)

Placido Polanco (37) - $5.5MM mutual option with a $1MM buyout

Mark Reynolds (29) - $11MM club option with a $500K buyout

Scott Rolen (38)

Mark Teahen (31)

Miguel Tejada (39)

Ty Wigginton (35) - $4MM club option with a $500K buyout

David Wright (30) - $16MM club option with a $1MM buyout

Kevin Youkilis (34) - $13MM club option with a $1MM buyout

If you are wondering about infield options for the Tigers for last year, here's part of what was available and what it went for....,

John McDonald (2yrs/$3M total)

Mark Ellis (2yrs/$8.75M total)

Kelly Johnson (accepted arbitration, is making $6.38M for this year)

Clint Barmes (2 yrs/ $10.5M total)

My point here is, don't pay Marco Scutaro $6M to play a so-so 2B when the Tigers can trade to get a young cost controlled talent and then put that $6M into another corner outfield spot if you want. With Delmon Young gone ($6.75M savings) Ryan Raburn being non-tendered for next year (saving at least $2.1M) there is some money to spend just in losing these two players.... My question is how do you want to fill 2B and OF?

Edited by STLTiger69

I like Altuve...

Maybe they can look at a younger player like Billy Hamilton of the Reds. IF he has a good glove he could split time with Santiago (or Worth). The Reds have signed BPhillips to a long term deal already this year. We do not have to have power at every position. We seem to be waiting for too players to hit with consistent power as it is (I do NOT mean Miggy or Prince). Besides it looks like we will get some power from CF with AJ as he grows.

Billy Hamilton Stats, Bio, Photos, Highlights | MiLB.com Stats | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball

The Astros have no reason to trade Altuve...unless they get a deal that they think helps them more in the future than Altuve would. The Tigers would have to start with Castellanos to make a deal happen. Castellanos has more upside IMO than Altuve but Altuve is a proven commodity at the big league level and Castellanos is not. To be honest, I don't really think we have the depth in our farm system to even make it happen.

I like Altuve...

Maybe they can look at a younger player like Billy Hamilton of the Reds. IF he has a good glove he could split time with Santiago (or Worth). The Reds have signed BPhillips to a long term deal already this year. We do not have to have power at every position. We seem to be waiting for too players to hit with consistent power as it is (I do NOT mean Miggy or Prince). Besides it looks like we will get some power from CF with AJ as he grows.

Billy Hamilton Stats, Bio, Photos, Highlights | MiLB.com Stats | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball

I think that would be a good idea too, trade for other teams minor infield prospects might be a more cost effective way to potentially help out the Tigers infield over the long term. I really like Hamilton a lot too, but he's in A+ league now and I'm not sure how to put a value on someone who might be two, three or more years away from being in the majors (or even if at all...). If the Tigers go for a minor leaguer from another organization I would hope that they could start helping the MLB team this year or next but adding some depth wouldn't be a bad idea either. But getting 2B figured out for the next few years at the major league level should sort of high on the to do list.

I like Altuve...

80 stolen bases in less than half a season?? That has to be a miss-print.

Edit: Nope

80 stolen bases in less than half a season?? That has to be a miss-print.

Edit: Nope

Here's the best part of Hamilton, he's stolen 80 bases.... in only 66 games....

lol, one reason why I like him....

Houston is actually pretty deep in middle infielders in their system. Jonathan Villar (SS) and Delino Deshields (2B) are very good prospects with higher ceilings than Altulve, plus they just drafted Correa, a SS, #1 overall. And they have Lowrie who probably profiles best at 2B long term.

If Houston is thinking long term I think they would move him for a highly rated young pitcher like Turner. Their system is light on good starting pitching prospects. That would be a tough sell to their fans though.

I think that would be a good idea too, trade for other teams minor infield prospects might be a more cost effective way to potentially help out the Tigers infield over the long term. I really like Hamilton a lot too, but he's in A+ league now and I'm not sure how to put a value on someone who might be two, three or more years away from being in the majors (or even if at all...). If the Tigers go for a minor leaguer from another organization I would hope that they could start helping the MLB team this year or next but adding some depth wouldn't be a bad idea either. But getting 2B figured out for the next few years at the major league level should sort of high on the to do list.

Maybe if they allocated some of their draft picks they seem to have reserved for relief pitchers towards middle infielders they could they could develope one their own. And when they do pick one find a guy who has some upside unlike the Danny Worths and Brandon Loys of the world.

Josh Hamilton

Melky Cabrera

Michael Bourn

Cody Ross

B.J. Upton

Carlos Quentin

Ichiro Suzuki

Nick Swisher

Any free agent outfielders that you like there?

Last year the Tigers passed on David DeJesus (2yrs/$10M total +$1.5M option/buyout), Josh Willingham (3yrs /$21M total), Cody Ross (1 year, $3M), Yoenis Cespedes (4yrs /$36M total), Carlos Beltran (2yrs/ $26M total).

Infielders;

Wanna see the complete list for 2013? -The players age in 2013 is in ()

Second basemen

Jeff Baker (32)

Robinson Cano (30) - $15MM club option with a $2MM buyout

Mike Fontenot (33)

Orlando Hudson (35) - $8MM club option with a $2MM buyout

Maicer Izturis (32)

Kelly Johnson (31)

Adam Kennedy (37)

Jeff Keppinger (33)

Jose Lopez (29)

Aaron Miles (36)

Freddy Sanchez (35)

Ryan Theriot (33)

Shortstops

Jason Bartlett (33) - $5.5MM club option with a $1.5MM buyout; vests with 432 PAs in 2012

Yuniesky Betancourt (31)

Geoff Blum (39)

Ronny Cedeno (30)

Stephen Drew (30) - $10MM mutual option with a $1.35MM buyout

Alex Gonzalez (35) - vesting option

Cesar Izturis (33)

Jhonny Peralta (31) - $6MM club option with a $500K buyout

Marco Scutaro (37)

Miguel Tejada (39)

Ryan Theriot (33)

Omar Vizquel (46)

Jack Wilson (35)

Third basemen

Geoff Blum (39)

Miguel Cairo (39)

Eric Chavez (35)

Mark DeRosa (38)

Brandon Inge (36)

Maicer Izturis (32)

Jose Lopez (29)

Placido Polanco (37) - $5.5MM mutual option with a $1MM buyout

Mark Reynolds (29) - $11MM club option with a $500K buyout

Scott Rolen (38)

Mark Teahen (31)

Miguel Tejada (39)

Ty Wigginton (35) - $4MM club option with a $500K buyout

David Wright (30) - $16MM club option with a $1MM buyout

Kevin Youkilis (34) - $13MM club option with a $1MM buyout

If you are wondering about infield options for the Tigers for last year, here's part of what was available and what it went for....,

John McDonald (2yrs/$3M total)

Mark Ellis (2yrs/$8.75M total)

Kelly Johnson (accepted arbitration, is making $6.38M for this year)

Clint Barmes (2 yrs/ $10.5M total)

My point here is, don't pay Marco Scutaro $6M to play a so-so 2B when the Tigers can trade to get a young cost controlled talent and then put that $6M into another corner outfield spot if you want. With Delmon Young gone ($6.75M savings) Ryan Raburn being non-tendered for next year (saving at least $2.1M) there is some money to spend just in losing these two players.... My question is how do you want to fill 2B and OF?

Good post. I agree that OFs can be found much easier. The Tigers just haven't looked for one in a while. I desperately wanted Willingham/Dejesus while non tendering Delmon and I also was one of the biggest advocates of going all in on Cespedes(850 OPS, in Oakland).

Josh Hamilton

Melky Cabrera

Michael Bourn

Cody Ross

B.J. Upton

Carlos Quentin

Ichiro Suzuki

Nick Swisher

yes, I like a few of those. We will see which ones are actually available. It was a good response though.

Do we need middle infielders? Peralta and Santiago have actually been hitting pretty well in June. Raburn too, although in limited action. The biggest offenders are Young and Boesch IMO. Young is OK against lefties and Boesch has been lucky on the road. The problem is they get too much playing time and their weaknesses are exposed.

We need an outfielder or a DH which could be addressed by Dirks or Martinez if they can get healthy. I'd look at getting Josh Willingham or somebody like him. Minnesota may not be willing to give him up because his contract looks pretty good right now. They are looking for young pitchers though which we have.

Do we need middle infielders? Peralta and Santiago have actually been hitting pretty well in June. Raburn too, although in limited action. The biggest offenders are Young and Boesch IMO. Young is OK against lefties and Boesch has been lucky on the road. The problem is they get too much playing time and their weaknesses are exposed.

Santiago, who is probably a pretty average fielding MI, is the only one of these guys who is really an asset in the field. When Peralta or Raburn aren't hitting they are liabilities in the infield. It would be nice to have a player who offered us more than just occasional pop and a .270 average. Nice range to the hole would be a great start, as would speed on the bases/ability to beat out a DP turn, and a decent OBP.

Our system is barren of legit MI prospects above the A level, and it would be nice to feel like we have more options other than to feel resigned to activating Peralta's team option at the end of the season. I just think we can do better.

When V-Mart comes back then maybe they can move Porcello, D. Young, & minor leaguer for help?

I can see them acquiring Polanco. He would be cheap, he's someone Dombrowski knows (his favorite kind of acquisition) and would be easy to sell to fans. He would be marginally better than what they have at second