STLTiger69

Trade options to get an infielder?

Folks;

What are the Tigers best options for a trade to get an infielder?

Lowrie, Altuve, Who?!?

...And what will it cost?!?

EDIT: Raburn might be non-tendered after this year and both Peralta and Santiago can be free agents after the 2013 season. If V-Mart leaves after 2014 and Cabrera either moves to DH/1B (Fielder may DH), then the Tigers will need a third baseman too....

Edited by STLTiger69

I'm a fan of Lowrie. Our band played his wedding, so I'm somewhat biased, but he is having a great year. He has his off-season home out here in Phoenix - that's why we played his wedding.

But seriously, the clear need is at second base - although I could live with Worth against LHP.

So we need a second baseman with plus range who can rake RHP to a reasonable degree.

Robby Cano fits the bill !!

OK, how about Aaron Hill then? He is an everyday option.

Edited by DaYooperASBDT

I actually can live with a Santiago/Worth platoon. Obviously there not superstars or anything but as long as they don't completely suck I think you can get by with them because so few teams have great 2B to begin with. Now don't get me wrong, I would love to have a great 2B or even a really good one but I don't want us giving up a Turner and or Castellanos to upgrade there because short of a Robinson Cano or Ian Kinsler I don't think the upgrade would be worth it. If we could get a Altuve and not have to give up one of them 2 I'd probably be down, but if were gonna trade one of them 2, I'd prefer it to be for a stud OFer to replace Boesch or DY or a stud SP to pair with Fister and Verlander.

A second baseman that can both hit and field is a rare bird indeed. What's Whitaker up to?

Once Dirks is back, and assuming that Berry returns to a more mortal version, then we should look at our RF situation.

Boesch would be more useful as a DH, perhaps, until Victor returns from injury.

A second baseman that can both hit and field is a rare bird indeed. What's Whitaker up to?

Once Dirks is back, and assuming that Berry returns to a more mortal version, then we should look at our RF situation.

Boesch would be more useful as a DH, perhaps, until Victor returns from injury.

I agree the Tigers need a RF but I also think with Young, Boesch, Raburn, and Berry all likely sticking with the club this year, I would rather trade for an infielder or pitcher. Of course, that is just preference. In reality, we need to explore every possible option and if there is a good deal for a right fielder, I would make it in a heartbeat.

Once Dirks is back, .....

Last night the report was that he's now in a boot. Don't expect to see Andy soon.

Edited by Gehringer_2

Problem is the Tigers only have two prospects, one of those is hopefully untradable (Castellanos) and the other shouldn't be traded because his value is probably low until he proves he's healthy and can dominate in the minors (Turner).

Any trade they make is either going to be a piece of brilliance from Dave Dombrowski fleecing someone, or for a marginal player. A marginal player would be a nice upgrade for the Tigers at LF/RF/2B/DH though so that's not necessarily the end of the world.

Problem is the Tigers only have two prospects, one of those is hopefully untradable (Castellanos) and the other shouldn't be traded because his value is probably low until he proves he's healthy and can dominate in the minors (Turner).

Any trade they make is either going to be a piece of brilliance from Dave Dombrowski fleecing someone, or for a marginal player. A marginal player would be a nice upgrade for the Tigers at LF/RF/2B/DH though so that's not necessarily the end of the world.

Let me play devils advocate on Castellanos. If everyone says he's not going to be a MLB third baseman, and he can't play 2B and that he's more likely to be an outfielder for the Tigers, why not trade him to get a good infielder (again, a cheap, cost friendly, team controlled infileder) and then sign a good free agent to play OF?

It seems like free agent outfielders are easy to find, good free agent infielders...not so much...

Baltimore is starting their Rule 5 pick in RF (Ryan Flaherty) and have really two 2B on their roster (Roberts and Andino). I would try and get one of them, either a deal of Strieby-Andino or package something up to get Roberts if they agree to take on part of the money he is owed.

Fans are always against trading top prospects but our recent history indicates we should not be so scared of given up top minor league talent. From the Gonzalez to Sheffield to Cabrera trades, none of our top prospects that we so dearly loved have really become stars. We may have been able to get Dan Haren if we had given up Rick Porcello plus some B prospects and that would have been a great trade...although very few wanted to do it at the time. I am glad we did not trade Turner for Jiminez or Shields (at least I think I am) last year because they have been too darn inconsistent throughout their careers. But maybe we could have gotten Hunter Pence or another player who is a proven commodity year after year and a very good player already.

And you know who we got for Travis Fryman. Top prospect Matt Drews...

It doesn't always work out this way (I am glad we did not trade Verlander) but overall, I think teams and fans are too guarded of their own top prospects.

Edited by Hart

Baltimore is starting their Rule 5 pick in RF (Ryan Flaherty) and have really two 2B on their roster (Roberts and Andino). I would try and get one of them, either a deal of Strieby-Andino or package something up to get Roberts if they agree to take on part of the money he is owed.
Zack, Strieby isn't even hitting his weight right now at Toledo - looks like the sun is setting on Ryan unfortunately.

I'm not against giving up a top prospect, but I don't know that there's a 2B out there I would do it for. Robinson Cano, but that's not happening. Maybe a RF, but I with Jackson healthy and Berry being passable so far - I'm okay with leaving Boesch in RF for the rest of this season. 2B is the need, but I certainly wouldn't give up Castellanos or Turner for what's out there.

There's just not an elite 2B out there that should see us give up a lot. I'd rather stick with the Santiago/Worth platoon and go get a solid corner outfielder that can provide some pop and consistent protection behind Prince.

My dream was the Reds wouldn't resign Phillips and look to trade him, he'd fit in perfectly in the 2 slot in the lineup, but alas it wasn't meant to be.

Let me play devils advocate on Castellanos. If everyone says he's not going to be a MLB third baseman, and he can't play 2B and that he's more likely to be an outfielder for the Tigers, why not trade him to get a good infielder (again, a cheap, cost friendly, team controlled infileder) and then sign a good free agent to play OF?

It seems like free agent outfielders are easy to find, good free agent infielders...not so much...

Everybody isn't saying this though.

Even if they were, He is more valuable on the trade market as a 3b.

I really really like Jose Altuve. If the Astros are even thinking about getting rid of him, which seems to be the case even though he's a legitimate all-star candidate, I would gladly give them Turner and any other prospect not named Castellanos.

I really really like Jose Altuve. If the Astros are even thinking about getting rid of him, which seems to be the case even though he's a legitimate all-star candidate, I would gladly give them Turner and any other prospect not named Castellanos.

What possible motivation would the Astros have in dealing Altuve?

Honest question.

Aside from Magglio 7 years ago, who's the last good outfielder the Tigers signed? And not to a minor league contract. It just isn't that easy.

What possible motivation would the Astros have in dealing Altuve?

Honest question.

Because they know the Tigers need him. That should be enough.

Jose turned 22 years old 45 days ago.

Jose is a Shortstop and a major piece the Astros will need to build with.

What would lead anyone to think the Astros GM would move him?