MSUBrian11

Leyland: This team needs more dirtbags...

oh, well. If a dirt bag or ******* can play 2B or left field and get on base, I think I agree.

It`s about time Leyland spoke up.Maybe this could light a fire under this team that hasn`t really been there all year.

It`s about time Leyland spoke up.Maybe this could light a fire under this team that hasn`t really been there all year.

With all due repect to JL, I don't think 'dirt bagness' or fire under any part of their anatomy will make any difference to the fact that too many of them are not very good at catching and throwing the ball. They are playing pretty much like they really are - except for Valverde - who I fear more and more everyday is toast.

I just caught a piece of it on Valenti and Foster, does anybody know where to find the full transcript at? Cause all I heard was the part where he said a .240 hitter can have just as much value as a .310 hitter if he does the little things like lay down a bunt, move up the runners, and advance on the bases on fly balls. I'd like to know what that was all about, or if he was talking about a specific player because everything else being equal(power, OBP and defense) I have a hard time believing that just by doing the "little things" could make a .240 hitter more valuable than a .310.

I just caught a piece of it on Valenti and Foster, does anybody know where to find the full transcript at? Cause all I heard was the part where he said a .240 hitter can have just as much value as a .310 hitter if he does the little things like lay down a bunt, move up the runners, and advance on the bases on fly balls. I'd like to know what that was all about, or if he was talking about a specific player because everything else being equal(power, OBP and defense) I have a hard time believing that just by doing the "little things" could make a .240 hitter more valuable than a .310.

Well it's true that when Lee and I looked at some league numbers a year or so ago, it was pretty clear run production didn't correlate all that well with BA, so I'll give JL that. Problem is, what is does correlate well with is slugging and OPS, so I'd like my 240 hitter to take a walk, hit a double or put the ball in the seats regularly a lot more than to be a good bunter or lazy fly ball hitter.

He also said more of the "A" words. Apparently I can't put that in the title anymore.

He clearly is missing Brandon.

Alchemists? Was that the word? Desperation indeed if that's the case

Well it's true that when Lee and I looked at some league numbers a year or so ago, it was pretty clear run production didn't correlate all that well with BA, so I'll give JL that. Problem is, what is does correlate well with is slugging and OPS, so I'd like my 240 hitter to take a walk, hit a double or put the ball in the seats regularly a lot more than to be a good bunter or lazy fly ball hitter.

Yeah for sure BA isn't the best offensive tool to look at, so there's no doubt a .240 hitter could have more impact than a .310 hitter if he took a ton of walks or hit for alot more power, but I didn't hear Leyland mention any of those which is why I wanted to see the whole interview just in case I missed it.

He also said more of the "A" words. Apparently I can't put that in the title anymore.

Androgynous Atheists? Alcoholics Anonymous?

I weep nearly every time I hear about or see a bunt laid down in situations that aren't a squeeze to put a runner from third across the plate. Giving a free out is rarely good baseball, and even less so when that out is spent trying to put a runner in scoring position with the expectation of being driven home by one of our many .250ish hitters.

If you've got a speedy lefty with an opening for a bunt, it could be a good idea. If there's an extreme shift in play it could also be a good move. But giving up an out for a base in most situations breaks my heart.

Maybe he was talking about Peralta needing to dive in the dirt a bit more often? ;)

I don't think Leyland believes that either. He can't very well tell them to hit for more power, because I'm sure they are already trying to do that. However, if he can get them to do some little things, it might help a little bit.

Tigers promote minor leaguer

DETROIT (AP) - Looking for some spark for an inconsistent attack, the Detroit Tigers announced that Leonard Baboumba has been promoted from their minor league affiliate, the Toledo Mud Hens.

The 2012 season is Baboumba's first in professional baseball but in 2011 he hit 127 home runs in 93 games, playing at the elite levels of Detroit's highly-competitive slow pitch environment. "That's serious power in any league" said Tigers' manager Jim Leyland. During 2012 to date he has appeared in 43 games for the Mud Hens, and has struck out 97 times in 97 plate appearances. "He's got nothing left to prove down there" said Tigers' general manager Dave Dombrowski. "Besides, he's 37 so if he's ever going to help us it has to be right now".

When asked if Baboumba could play second base, Leyland acknowledged that he had been taking some ground balls. "He's got quite a big gut and it's hard for him to bend over," added Leyland. "So for right now we're just going to find a way to get his bat into the lineup".

I think Leyland's strength is actually managing a small ball team rather than a power hitting team...maybe also a better NL manager than AL manager. There is not a whole lot he can do with role players like Avila, Young, Peralta, Boesch, and Raburn. Either they are hitting or they are not.

I'd take Tulowitzki, Longoria, and Jered any day. I wouldn't mind Vance Worley or Danny Espinosa either.

In related news Quinten Berry shot the dame he worked the Malone case with. She tried to double cross him. As he stood over her as she clutched the .38 caliber hole in her side she pleaded: "How could you?".

He replied: "It was easy, sweetheart".

I'm just going to assume this was sarcasm

You do realize they all played for Long Beach State, right?

A smart person who has been given their final warning shouldn't evade the site sensors. That is not a rule that was just created, but apparently it is new to you.