plantcitytigersfan

Charlie Furbush

I took a look at Charlie's stats for this year. 25.2 IP, 7 ER, 12 hits, 31 K's and 5 BB's. Not to shabby. Hey Roger and Jim, do you guys remember in 2010 when we wanted Charlie promoted from Lakeland to Erie and we were told that he was a marginal prospect with a below average curve who was only doing so well because of his age ?

Larry

2012 AAT Brandon Loy

Holy crap. This is like a Twilight Zone moment.

I swear to God, I was just looking up Furbush's stats and was surprised to see him doing so well.

I was going to post it but didn't know where it should go.

Oh good lord... let's have a pity party for PCT.

He was a marginal prospect in every sense of the word. He's down to only pitching an inning at a time and to mostly left-handed batters. Let's not pretend he's the next Doug Fister... he's doing well in that role but that's all he's going to be in the majors.

Edited by Yoda

Is his improvement a reflection of Seattle's player development or his abilities naturally coming out ? I wonder about the ability of the Tigers player development , especially in the upper minors. Seems like quite a few pitchers hit a plateau at about AA-AAA, and the prospects become suspects.

Furbush's sucess is due to a roll change.

Seattle is using him only as a middle relief (this year 24 games played, ZERO starts) vs last year (10 starts in the majors, 11 games appeared in for Seattle last year). And also keeep in mind, that with 25.2 innings and 24 appearances, that means Seattle is getting just a shade more than an inning per appearance out of Furbush.

He was a marginal prospect in every sense of the word. He's down to only pitching an inning at a time and to mostly left-handed batters. Let's not pretend he's the next Doug Fister... he's doing well in that role but that's all he's going to be in the majors.

Truth.

Is his improvement a reflection of Seattle's player development or his abilities naturally coming out ? I wonder about the ability of the Tigers player development , especially in the upper minors. Seems like quite a few pitchers hit a plateau at about AA-AAA, and the prospects become suspects.

Keep in mind Furbush has never had a WHIP below 1.453 in the majors... his 0.662 this year seems incredibly flukey. He won't be able to sustain that. He has has an unsustainable .182 BABIP. He had a 6.62 ERA last year. It wouldn't be wise to be fooled by a couple lucky months.

Keep in mind Furbush has never had a WHIP below 1.453 in the majors... his 0.662 this year seems incredibly flukey. He won't be able to sustain that. He has has an unsustainable .182 BABIP. He had a 6.62 ERA last year. It wouldn't be wise to be fooled by a couple lucky months.

I thought ERA was a poor way to judge a relief pitcher? :classic:

44 left, 43 right

Right / Left 	AB	R	H	2B	3B	HR	RBI	BB	HBP	SO	SB	CS	AVG	OBP	SLG	OPS
vs. Left 44 1 6 1 0 0 4 3 1 21 1 1 .136 .204 .159 .363
vs. Right 43 6 6 1 0 2 6 2 0 10 4 0 .140 .178 .302 .480

You are probably right and I over react to stats....my concern is Turner and the regression that may be perceived..I hope it's just a reaction to the Tiger season so far !!

Last year was his first season.

Just tip your cap and give Furbush some credit, hes been pretty good this year in his roll and lets get back to watching Fister pitch games like yesterday of 6 innings of 3 hit ball for the rest of our season.

You are probably right and I over react to stats....my concern is Turner and the regression that may be perceived..I hope it's just a reaction to the Tiger season so far !!

I'm mainly worried about Turner's strikeout numbers declining. That was a big concern with Porcello going through the minors, and how he didn't have the put away pitch.

I repeat: .182 BABIP.

Credit his success to the roll change, but it has just as much to do with luck. I promise his numbers won't be this flashy by the end of the year.

He may be their version of Phil Coke though, which isn't the worst thing in the world.

The best thing about Furbush is his kick-*** name!

I have a friend who is Vietnamese and I sometimes call her Charlie Furbush. She still hasn't figured out why.

Just a ray of sunshine today Yoda.

He is a good lefty reliever, that is a fact. He has a meaningful role in the big leagues, better than anyone projected for him.

He is, in fact, a good lefty reliever... right now. All I'm saying is he can't sustain that. I just think he will be back to being average by the end of the season, which isn't a bad thing. But he's certainly not good enough to be so hurt over someone calling him a marginal prospect two years ago.

He is, in fact, a good lefty reliever... right now. All I'm saying is he can't sustain that. I just think he will be back to being average by the end of the season, which isn't a bad thing. But he's certainly not good enough to be so hurt over someone calling him a marginal prospect two years ago.

I can agree with all of this. We have no differences on this matter.

I repeat: .182 BABIP.

Credit his success to the roll change, but it has just as much to do with luck. I promise his numbers won't be this flashy by the end of the year.

He may be their version of Phil Coke though, which isn't the worst thing in the world.

His K's have skyrocketed and his walks have decreased.

11K/9

6.2 K/BB

High Strike out pitchers tend to have lower BABIP, but yes, he's not going to maintain a .182

I took a look at Charlie's stats for this year. 25.2 IP, 7 ER, 12 hits, 31 K's and 5 BB's. Not to shabby. Hey Roger and Jim, do you guys remember in 2010 when we wanted Charlie promoted from Lakeland to Erie and we were told that he was a marginal prospect with a below average curve who was only doing so well because of his age ?

Larry

2012 AAT Brandon Loy

You'd have about 20 threads if one was made for every instance that the "experts" deemed someone an organizational filler or marginal prospect that went on to make the show. The same can be said for the supposed "can't miss" guys that never turnout. Trust the scouts setting next to you, not the "scouts" typing on message boards. :)

I get what your saying though. Regardless of his contribution on the MLB level, he wasn't really considered a remote MLB player a couple years. Kudos to Charlie for becoming an MLB player.

You'd have about 20 threads if one was made for every instance that the "experts" deemed someone an organizational filler or marginal prospect that went on to make the show. The same can be said for the supposed "can't miss" guys that never turnout. Trust the scouts setting next to you, not the "scouts" typing on message boards. :)

I get what your saying though. Regardless of his contribution on the MLB level, he wasn't really considered a remote MLB player a couple

years. Kudos to Charlie for becoming an MLB player.

And I bet I can find 20 instances where the Lakeland "experts" were wrong as well.

So who are the players you're referencing? I'd love to see a list of names.

Just tip your cap and give Furbush some credit, hes been pretty good this year in his roll and lets get back to watching Fister pitch games like yesterday of 6 innings of 3 hit ball for the rest of our season.

This is how I have to think about Furbush. We gave a nice pitcher to get a great pitcher.