whoknew

Walk Rates

I know it is still relatively early, but what is the explanation for the low walk rates for Cabrera and Fielder?

The last few years compared to this year:

Unintentional BB/Plate Appearances (less intentional BB)

Cabrera -

2009 - 8.04% (meaning he took an unintentional BB in 8.04% of his plate appearances)

2010 - 9.25%

2011 - 12.9%

2012 - 6.13%

Fielder -

2009 - 12.75%

2010 - 13.90%

2011 - 11.36%

2012 - 7.87%

This seems concerning.

Well, for Cabrera I would assume it has to do with Fielder batting behind him. Teams are more likely to give him something to hit because they don't wanna face Fielder with a man on.

For Fielder, I have no idea. It's not like Delmon is instilling fear in to people.

Well, for Cabrera I would assume it has to do with Fielder batting behind him. Teams are more likely to give him something to hit because they don't wanna face Fielder with a man on.

For Fielder, I have no idea. It's not like Delmon is instilling fear in to people.

For Fielder it could be he knows what is hitting behind him, so feels like it's up to him to make something happen, knowing Delmon is behind him and really struggling at the plate.

I know it is still relatively early, but what is the explanation for the low walk rates for Cabrera and Fielder?

The last few years compared to this year:

Unintentional BB/Plate Appearances (less intentional BB)

Cabrera -

2009 - 8.04% (meaning he took an unintentional BB in 8.04% of his plate appearances)

2010 - 9.25%

2011 - 12.9%

2012 - 6.13%

Fielder -

2009 - 12.75%

2010 - 13.90%

2011 - 11.36%

2012 - 7.87%

This seems concerning.

Yup - part of a trend across the whole team (a conspiratorial type might suspect something more sinister when a whole team's walks are down, which they are)

. Don't know enough about Prince yet but just my un-scientific observation about Cabby is that he tries to do more - maybe too much, when the offense is sputtering - which it certainly has this year so far. Was good to see a BB for him in each of the last two games (plus one IBB).

They both feel like they have to score 3 runs for every hit they make in order for us to win. I know I would right now. They are the best hitters on the team and are trying to make up for how poorly everyone is playing by putting something in play and getting doubles instead of one sackers.

I am actually surprised at how many BB's they have so far. When the rest of the team starts to perk up (which I suspect soon hopefully) I would imagine they will relax a little and start taking more walks if they think they will get driven in.

And I would be more concerned if they were 2-3 year players with no real good track record. Both are well established as a couple of the best hitters in the game...Cabby may be the single best in the game. I am not concerned at all with his plate discipline.

I'm under the impression the Tigers as an organization do not hold plate discipline and taking walks in high regard, which would reflect their somewhat "old school" way of thinking -- at least that's my perception.

This.

I do anticipate Miggy's walk rate will creep back up closer to normal. For Prince, I'm less certain. While his walk rate is still strong, it's been in decline three straight years and is even lower this year. I suspect if we see any improvement for him it will be slightly higher than it is now.

For Fielder it could be he knows what is hitting behind him, so feels like it's up to him to make something happen, knowing Delmon is behind him and really struggling at the plate.

So in summary, Miggy is getting less walks because he has someone good hitting behind him (pitchers are attacking him), Prince is getting less walks because he has someone poor hitting behind him (pitchers are not attacking him and he feels the need to swing anyways). Perfect.

Maybe pitchers aren't afraid to pitch to Cabrera or Fielder because they realize walks are bad and also recognize that the rest of the Tigers lineup is mostly garbage so there is no reason to put guys on base

That actually sounds pretty unlikely given how MLB players seem to operate, so I'll guess it's just small sample size