Yoda

Jackson back, Peralta out, Perez up

I don't think the injuries can be used as an excuse. Other teams have been hit just as hard. The Tigers had a whole bunch at the same time so it seems like a lot. They haven't had any devastating season enders.

To me it's the injuries and the inconsistent play of some of the rest of the team that is so mind boggling to me this year. Both Raburn and Santiago's dreadfully slow starts has created a huge problem for the Tigers at 2B this year (when frankly there should not have been an issue about getting production from 2B) and Boesch's slow start might have been more manageable if both Dirks and Jackson were healthy (Boesch sits, Dirks plays RF, Young LF). Even things like Laird being more productive at the plate than Avila so far this season has to have you shaking your head a bit.

The tigers have had 40 different players on their active roster this year. 40. But yeah that's no excuse at all.

The tigers have had 40 different players on their active roster this year. 40. But yeah that's no excuse at all.

Not all of that is due to injuries though. Some of it due to players being sent back to the minors for poor performance. Most of the injuries they have had have been relatively minor ones. If you just focus on your favorite team, it looks like they have more injuries than every other team, but there have been lots of teams that have been affected by injuries.

Take a look at this list of players that have been on the DL list this year:

Baseball : MLB disabled list (with statistics)

There are a lot of teams not feeling sorry for the Tigers right now.

I'd say Dombrowski is a middle of the pack, mediocre GM.

It's certainly more than reasonable to want better than that.

OH MY GOD OUR GM CAN'T EVEN HAVE A FULL MINORS MAN THIS SUCKS THIS TEAM SUCKS WE AREN'T WINNING EVERY GAME OH MY GOD WE CAN'T SCORE 6 RUNS OF UBALDO JIMENEZ WE SUCK SO MUCH LEYLAND SUCKS DD SUCKS ILITCH SUCKS THE SCOUTING SUCKS MY GOD OUR MINORS SUCKS MAN WE HAVE A WINNING RECORD EVERY YEAR ALMOST BUT WE HAVE TO WIN EVERY GAME AND THE WORLD SERIES EVERY YEAR **** OH GOD I WISH IT WAS LIKE IT WAS FROM 1994-2005 MAN WHEN WE WERE NEVER RELEVANT AND DRAFTED TERRIBLE PLAYERS AND EVERYONE BUSTED AND WE TOOK A CLOSER LIKE #2 OVERALL YEAH I WISH WE HAD THE DAYS WHERE GEORGE LOMBARD HAD SIGNIFICANT AT BATS AND BRAD AUSMUS WAS ON THE TEAM SEVERAL TIMES AND ROBERT FICK WAS OUR LONE ALL STAR AND WE HAD PLAYERS LIKE NATE CORNEJO GETTING 35 STARTS AND HE STRUCK OUT LIKE 2 GUYS PER 9 INNINGS AND WE SIGNED STEVE AVERY FOR SOME REASON AND STEVE SPARKS WAS OUR ACE AND DMITRI YOUNG PLAYED 3B EVERY DAY AND BIP ROBERTS WAS ON THE TEAM FOR SOME REASON

MAN I MISS THOSE DAYS WE SHOULD FIRE DAVE DOMBROWSKI. HE SUCKS, HE'S ONLY GOTTEN US TO THE PLAYOFFS TWICE SINCE 06 AND WE'VE ONLY BEEN TO THE ALCS TWICE AND THE WORLD SERIES ONCE! MAN IT SUCKS THAT WE HAVE MIGUEL CABRERA AND PRINCE FIELDER AND JUSTIN VERLANDER THEY MAKE TOO MUCH MONEY LETS TRADE FOR A BUNCH OF YOUNG GUYS OH MY GOD IMAGINE IF WE HAD THE PADRES FARM SYSTEM OH MY GOD WE'D BE SO GOOD LOOK AT ALL THAT YOUNG INEXPENSIVE TALENT THEIR GM IS A FREAKING GENIUS DD COULD LEARN SOMETHING FROM HIM IT REALLY SUCKS HAVING 3 OF THE TOP 15 PLAYERS IN BASEBALL ON OUR TEAM I HATE IT SO MUCH

What an absolutely horrible post.

So is our option either a 2nd tier, like we've been under DD, or a cellar dweller like with Randy Smith?

We couldn't replace DD with somebody whose actually better than him?

Edited by TigerNation

Great post by Pyro. The Tigers organization deserves criticism this year and this is the place to give it. Constructive criticism and occasional sarcasm is good for this forum.

I think Pyro's post was spot on.

There has been somewhat of a spark in Cincinnati, but the defensive holes are glaring. I hold my breath this year every time a routine double play is attempted. There have been more errant throws, more routine fly balls botched than any stretch of time I can remember, and my first season I remember following is 1961.

So far, the Cinci series is the only one this year where the team has played like it gives a **** whether they win or lose. The fact that we can't come up with a playable 2nd baseman since Polly's departure, is a management and development problem and squarely rests on DD's shoulders.

If this team continues to play with some fire, like it has in this series, win or lose I will watch. If they play as pathetically has they have up to this series, there is little reason to watch this team.

I just want to know where this "Good GM" tree is located?

I think they are easier to find than good players, but ,just like managers, there are not a lot of experienced ones. I think DD is an average GM and you won't necessarily find someone better quickly. He seems very old school though and I would like to see them take a chance on a new guy. I don't know if it will work any better, but I'd like to see them hire one of the new breed of stat-oriented GMs. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be Illitch's style though.

What an absolutely horrible post.

So is our option either a 2nd tier, like we've been under DD, or a cellar dweller like with Randy Smith?

We couldn't replace DD with somebody whose actually better than him?

Like who? You can't just assume you were going to get someone better. If it was that easy everyone would have a good GM.

For the record, my post was aimed at the people who think DD should be fired because there's not a lot of depth in the system. Didn't the Tigers JUST win 95 games? I'm just tired of people who are overtly negative for the purpose of being overtly negative. DD definitely deserves criticism, but to fire him? Sure, pyro, they were horrible a decade ago, but you don't think it's significant that we're not anymore? Who was the GM who got us here? He's not infallible, he's not the best GM in the world, but he doesn't get any slack? They're not having a good year, but you don't trust the guy who took 43-119 and turned it into 95-67 in 3 years? People are too reactionary, that's my point.

The other issue is why does everyone think that they just sat on their hands for the places needed this offseason? Just because they didn't sign an OF or 2B doesn't mean they weren't going hard for someone. Like any GM you aren't going to win all trades and signings, but you can sure lose them. I don't think that DD deserves praise for this season, or just because of turning the team around, but i'm also not saying he needs to be fired when this team which as people have pointed out have 3 of the top 20-25 players in all of baseball.

The other issue is why does everyone think that they just sat on their hands for the places needed this offseason? Just because they didn't sign an OF or 2B doesn't mean they weren't going hard for someone..

Still, this is not a one year fail - they've had serious middle IF/3b needs for more like 3 yrs now. That's a long time to strike out at building any depth.

I think they are easier to find than good players, but ,just like managers, there are not a lot of experienced ones. I think DD is an average GM and you won't necessarily find someone better quickly. He seems very old school though and I would like to see them take a chance on a new guy. I don't know if it will work any better, but I'd like to see them hire one of the new breed of stat-oriented GMs. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be Illitch's style though.

Surprise.gif

For the record, my post was aimed at the people who think DD should be fired because there's not a lot of depth in the system. Didn't the Tigers JUST win 95 games? I'm just tired of people who are overtly negative for the purpose of being overtly negative. DD definitely deserves criticism, but to fire him? Sure, pyro, they were horrible a decade ago, but you don't think it's significant that we're not anymore? Who was the GM who got us here? He's not infallible, he's not the best GM in the world, but he doesn't get any slack? They're not having a good year, but you don't trust the guy who took 43-119 and turned it into 95-67 in 3 years? People are too reactionary, that's my point.

I'm sure Randy Smith would have done a lot better if he had the equivalent of a 130 million dollar payroll. DD essentially has an open payroll, where back when Randy Smith was GM, Illitch didn't care as much about the Tigers, and was spending all of his cash buying the Wings Stanley Cups.

Not all of that is due to injuries though. Some of it due to players being sent back to the minors for poor performance. Most of the injuries they have had have been relatively minor ones. If you just focus on your favorite team, it looks like they have more injuries than every other team, but there have been lots of teams that have been affected by injuries.

Take a look at this list of players that have been on the DL list this year:

Baseball : MLB disabled list (with statistics)

There are a lot of teams not feeling sorry for the Tigers right now.

I never said there aren't teams worse off than the Tigers. There definitely is. But it's still part of the reason they aren't winning a lot of close games. To say "that's no excuse" to me says "they haven't lost any games due to injury". Otherwise, it is an excuse, and a legit one. Not for every loss, obviously. But it's definitely affecting their record.

I'm sure Randy Smith would have done a lot better if he had the equivalent of a 130 million dollar payroll. DD essentially has an open payroll, where back when Randy Smith was GM, Illitch didn't care as much about the Tigers, and was spending all of his cash buying the Wings Stanley Cups.

Yeah, like Juan Gonzalez?

DD most certainly has not had an open wallet. There were a lot of good role players out there this year and by many reports wasn't given the money to sign them. Not until Martinez went down did Mike I say "go get that guy".

It's pretty easy to point out errors that DD has made without making things like this up.

I never said there aren't teams worse off than the Tigers. There definitely is. But it's still part of the reason they aren't winning a lot of close games. To say "that's no excuse" to me says "they haven't lost any games due to injury". Otherwise, it is an excuse, and a legit one. Not for every loss, obviously. But it's definitely affecting their record.

Yes, it's part of the reason they are losing games but you have to expect injuries when the season starts and I don't think they are worse off than the average team in that respect. I would bet that their total injury days is not far from average. Now, if Verlander and Cabrera both got hurt for half the season, I'd say it was a hard luck season, but it's not like that. They are in the same boat as most teams. The Tigers are having a bad season because they are not hitting and fielding the way the should. Plus, their bullpen was bad early in the season, although it's gotten better lately.

I haven't heard the 'he cared more about the wings than the tigers’ argument in a long time.

I haven't heard the 'he cared more about the wings than the tigers’ argument in a long time.

He was too cheap to re-sign Randall Simon and Juan Acevedo. That was criminal. They were the heart and soul of the team.

Yes, it's part of the reason they are losing games but you have to expect injuries when the season starts and I don't think they are worse off than the average team in that respect. I would bet that their total injury days is not far from average. Now, if Verlander and Cabrera both got hurt for half the season, I'd say it was a hard luck season, but it's not like that. They are in the same boat as most teams. The Tigers are having a bad season because they are not hitting and fielding the way the should. Plus, their bullpen was bad early in the season, although it's gotten better lately.

I bet it's quite a bit below average, especially when you account for players that couldn't play but aren't/weren't on the DL. Just because it isn't Verlander and Cabrera doesn't mean it isn't making a big impact.

Speaking of injuries... Fister not ready to pitch yet, so Porcello gets the start Wednesday. Crosby will throw an inning or two in the BP and then get another start later this week.

I bet it's quite a bit below average, especially when you account for players that couldn't play but aren't/weren't on the DL.

That happens to other teams too.

One thing I've learned from playing fantasy baseball is how many guys get injured. Players on all teams are getting hurt all year long. I rarely have a team of healthy players and nobody else in my leagues do either. Thus, I expect the same thing to happen in real baseball. A team that doesn't have a lot of injuries is the outlier.

There is a point where the injuries on one team can get so ridiculous that they are at a huge disadvantage to other teams. I don't think the Tigers have come close to that point this year.

Yeah, maybe, but I think DD earned the trust from Ilitch to give him that kind of leeway. Good point, though.