catswithbats

Tigers Promote Nick Castellanos to Erie

Nick is slumping pretty well over the last couple weeks, with a .250/.267/.273 line over the last 10 games. It's probably the first time he's really slumped all year, so it was bound to happen. He may have been trying a little too hard with having so much attention on him, who knows. I have to think it'll turn back around soon, though.

Still hitting .304/.320/.438 in 58 games for Erie.

Well, I'm sold!

In all seriousness, in what capacity? If this is the case then I stand corrected. I've never heard of him working with any OFers other than offering some advice in spring training.

He worked with Kirk Gibson and Ron LeFlore that I know of, suspect he has worked with others as well.

What's your basis here? Mine has nothing to do with autographs because I have never collected autographs, so I don't know why you keep saying that?

What is your basis for calling him one of the biggest a-holes in the game?

The only thing I have heard negative about him is he is rude to autograph hounds, hence I figured that was your beef.

FWIW, my wife has dealt with him numerous times and has found him to be quite gracious.

A Henning article about Kaline's visit to Erie, with some notes on Garcia and Fields...

Tigers legend Al Kaline: Nick Castellanos' potential 'out of sight' | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

Thanks for posting. Much more from Kaline than I would have expected. The big club has some big problems now. I only hope that these guys don't get traded out on another one of DD's whims before they get to the top.

Nick is slumping pretty well over the last couple weeks, with a .250/.267/.273 line over the last 10 games. It's probably the first time he's really slumped all year, so it was bound to happen. He may have been trying a little too hard with having so much attention on him, who knows. I have to think it'll turn back around soon, though.

Still hitting .304/.320/.438 in 58 games for Erie.

Nick has never really hit a slump. It's good that he has to make adjustments. Hopefully this recent slump will keep him out of the Tiger lineup at any point this season.

Nick has never really hit a slump. It's good that he has to make adjustments. Hopefully this recent slump will keep him out of the Tiger lineup at any point this season.

Why? Playing a little in September shouldn't hurt him, and it may even help the team.

What is your basis for calling him one of the biggest a-holes in the game?

The only thing I have heard negative about him is he is rude to autograph hounds, hence I figured that was your beef.

FWIW, my wife has dealt with him numerous times and has found him to be quite gracious.

I've been friends with and/or held conversations with quite a few of the interns down in Lakeland, and I used to talk quite a bit with a former higher-up there. Al is not a well-liked person. That's all I can go on as I never had an ounce of interest in speaking with him, though I'm sure I could have. I have no idea in what setting your wife has dealt with him but if that's the case, it's the first I've ever heard of anyone having much nice to say about him. Maybe he's more polite when he's away from the game and, essentially, a nobody. I have no idea.

edit: as an aside, don't you find it odd that a guy in his position shows not one ounce of appreciation towards the fans? If he was a gracious person, he would at least put on a fake smile and not act as if he's being inconvenienced by the team's fans, who travel hundreds (or thousands) of miles to see their team in March. It isn't how a gracious person behaves.

Edited by Yoda

A truly gracious person would learn how to tapdance or juggle to provide between innings entertainment.....

I'll defend and criticize Kaline. I have been told by close friends of his, he has issues in casual conversations with persons he does not know. He also can be quite abusive to those aksing for his autograph other than in a structured autograph environment. I have seen him leave the field and sign for fans for 10 or 15 minutes at a time, so it does happen. He does get upset by those that will in turn sell his signature and that carrys over to the true fan's attempts. When we pass at Lakeland's Tigertown, we don't stop and talk, but he often recognizes me and will give me a good morning.

I believe his help with minor leaguers will be more of a reporting observer than active in their training.

I have no idea in what setting your wife has dealt with him but if that's the case, it's the first I've ever heard of anyone having much nice to say about him. Maybe he's more polite when he's away from the game and, essentially, a nobody. I have no idea.

I don't have the book in front of me, but Bill James once suggested that Mel Ott and Al Kaline were the only truly nice RF among the top 20 RF in the history of the game.

Not that James is an expert on this - and I'm not claiming he is - but rather it is intended to illustrate the point there are those who think he isn't the huge a-hole you have suggested.

edit: as an aside, don't you find it odd that a guy in his position shows not one ounce of appreciation towards the fans? If he was a gracious person, he would at least put on a fake smile and not act as if he's being inconvenienced by the team's fans, who travel hundreds (or thousands) of miles to see their team in March. It isn't how a gracious person behaves.

I don't know how gracious I'd be if I had people I didn't know bugging me for autographs / conversations / whetever for damn near 60 years. I have to imagine that would grow tiresome for some after a while. Which brings me to another point. Maybe he is just someone who has gotten grumpier as he has gotten older?

In any event, I have seen multiple posters comment on what an *** he is over the past 5 years. I assume it has to do with their personal experiences. My wife's personal experience has been the opposite. She considers him one of the helpful people she has dealt with in the Tigers org. Am I not supposed to relate or consider this because you've had a different expereience / impression?

Honest question.

When we pass at Lakeland's Tigertown, we don't stop and talk, but he often recognizes me and will give me a good morning.

He's probably studied your face in your avatar.

I don't know how gracious I'd be if I had people I didn't know bugging me for autographs / conversations / whetever for damn near 60 years. I have to imagine that would grow tiresome for some after a while. Which brings me to another point. Maybe he is just someone who has gotten grumpier as he has gotten older?

In any event, I have seen multiple posters comment on what an *** he is over the past 5 years. I assume it has to do with their personal experiences. My wife's personal experience has been the opposite. She considers him one of the helpful people she has dealt with in the Tigers org. Am I not supposed to relate or consider this because you've had a different expereience / impression?

Honest question.

Of course you are, have I ever suggested you shouldn't? You're basing your opinion of one person's experience(s) though. I'm sure even you know that it would be wise to factor in all these other accounts as well, correct? Or at the very least, not completely dismiss them.

Also, I'm sure it does get old. But the game is littered with people just as, if not more, popular than Al Kaline, and they manage to not look and act so inconvenienced when they're around fans. How hard is it to occasionally put on a fake smile? Even if you're just walking past everyone.

Wasn't Kaline known as a bit of a prick to the media during his playing days? And didn't he not respond well to criticism from the fans?

I personally liked that bit of him as it came across in his TV analysis. He wouldn't think twice about criticizing a Tiger if they deserved it.

Wasn't Kaline known as a bit of a prick to the media during his playing days? .

I don't necessarily remember that, but there is no question he was a hot-header player. Al did always tend to avoid media because he was always self-concious about his diction. IIRC it took a lot of pushing to get him in the broadcast booth.

Of course you are, have I ever suggested you shouldn't? You're basing your opinion of one person's experience(s) though. I'm sure even you know that it would be wise to factor in all these other accounts as well, correct? Or at the very least, not completely dismiss them.

You called him one of the biggest a-holes in the game. That is what I am disputing. I don't think he was one of the biggest a-holes in the game. I think he can be prick, and I think he doesn't like to give autographs / get drawn into conversations with strangers when he is busy, but my opinion is he isn't nearly as bad as some have suggested, yourself included.

I put more weight in my wife's word over somebody anonymous.

Also, I'm sure it does get old. But the game is littered with people just as, if not more, popular than Al Kaline, and they manage to not look and act so inconvenienced when they're around fans. How hard is it to occasionally put on a fake smile? Even if you're just walking past everyone.

There are probably just as many that act as inconvinenced as Al.

And I am not a fan of the fake smile. I don't like used car salesmen types, but that is me.

In any event, I don't understand what this has to do with whether or not it is helpful for him to work with Nick Catellanos.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

I personally liked that bit of him as it came across in his TV analysis. He wouldn't think twice about criticizing a Tiger if they deserved it.

Yeah, he was tough but fair about players, IMO - Tiger or opposing player.

Kaline wasn't the most polished guy in the booth, but man did he know the game. He'd slip in an observation like "He's cheating in out in RF...scoring from second on hit in front of him won't be easy" right before the batter would line one to RF and the baserunner woud get gunned down at the plate. It was fun to listen to a guy with that kind of a feel for the game...

So far as the rest of it goes...maybe he's socially awkward with strangers, maybe he just wants to be left alone. He shouldn't be swearing at kids, but honestly...is it really his concern if you flew all the way down to see spring training?