catswithbats

Tigers Promote Nick Castellanos to Erie

Fantastic! It was obvious he wasn't being challenged at Lakeland.

.403/.460/.555 for a 1.015 OPS

Having just turned 20 in March, dude is legit!

I like monitoring splits for prospects like this and nothing indicates it being a fluke. He hits better on the road (not benefiting from a hitter's home park), hits better versus righties (isn't just feasting off crappy lefties), not to mention that the FSL is not in any way a hitter's league. I'm pretty excited about this guy, to say the least.

Nick Castellanos Stats, Bio, Photos, Highlights | MiLB.com Stats | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball

Aggresive move. But exercise some patience if the struggles early there.

If he continues to mash, we could see him as soon as this year. Honestly wouldn't shock me. This kid is gonna be a stud, just have to find a position for him. Have they tried him in the OF yet? Unless they DH Prince, move Miggy back to 1st and Castellanos at 3rd but I don't think Prince would be too happy about it.

If he continues to mash, we could see him as soon as this year. Honestly wouldn't shock me. This kid is gonna be a stud, just have to find a position for him. Have they tried him in the OF yet? Unless they DH Prince, move Miggy back to 1st and Castellanos at 3rd but I don't think Prince would be too happy about it.

Plus you would still have VMart unless he was traded.

Being a mediocre team would give management some leverage in moving Prince to DH. But I don't see this happening anytime soon with Martinez coming back next year. I think the Tigers are committed to their corner infield as is...much to my dismay.

This probably increases his trade value a bit as well... especially if he hits well for the next month+

Awesome. He's now in the Eastern League, so I should be able to see him at some point.

Plus you would still have VMart unless he was traded.

True. They definitely need to move Castellanos to the OF.

I know Inge was a greek God but could he play 2B? Making the move impossible?

Castellanos isn't playing 2B.

Paul from TigsTown says his ETA is Sept '13.

Mark my words, it will be much sooner than that. Not that I think he couldn't use the work in Toledo next year, but the Tigers will most-certainly promote him before then, barring a drastic setback. Won't be this year though, unless they wanna give him a few AB's in September so he'll know what he's up against heading into next year.

Edited by Yoda

Happy for him, but a bit bummed as we are getting ready to head south for the next two weeks and are planning to make at least 1 trip up to Lakeland while we are there.

Happy for him, but a bit bummed as we are getting ready to head south for the next two weeks and are planning to make at least 1 trip up to Lakeland while we are there.

Hey, NW Ohio isn't far from Erie.

Huh....this works out great...I'm going to be travelling through Pennsylvania in July...I should stop and see a game at Erie.

True. They definitely need to move Castellanos to the OF.

Castellanos isn't playing 2B.

Fair enough, about time we harvested a phenom.

I'm really excited about Castellanos but please don't pull a Maybin on him, he still can't play defense, he doesn't hit for HR power, and his K/BB splits aren't great. He's an immense talent and he earned this promotion, but he still has some work to do before we start penciling him into the big leagues.

A prime candidate for Arizona. If so, any play at other than 3B? I hope not. Don't muddle up his game. He's a hitter. Let him rip.

A prime candidate for Arizona. If so, any play at other than 3B? I hope not. Don't muddle up his game. He's a hitter. Let him rip.

I think he needs to learn a second position. RF shouldn't be too tough for him.

Remember, Sheffield started as a shortstop.

Allow him to master 3B and then give him a shot at other positions. After all including ST and IL he only has 12 months of pro ball experience. I think Erie will be a challenge for him and also what he needs.