MotownWebGuy

Report: Phil Garner said one Detroit Tigers player admitted to taking PEDs

From MLive...

Report: Phil Garner said one Detroit Tigers player admitted to taking PEDs when he managed team | MLive.com

Garner later said that the first admission came in 1987 and that the second was from a Tigers player during the 2001 season.

2:03 p.m.: "The second player was a Tigers position player in 2001, Garner says. (So now it's one Tiger player from team, not two, as he said earlier.)"

Let the rumors begin... Bobby Higginson? Fick?

Edited by MotownWebGuy

I'm curious about steroids in the 80's. When did ballplayers back then begin to widely use it? I always pictured it being a 90's thing, but admissions to use in the 80's has me wondering just how far back it goes.

I'm curious about steroids in the 80's. When did ballplayers back then begin to widely use it? I always pictured it being a 90's thing, but admissions to use in the 80's has me wondering just how far back it goes.

Tom House said there were lots of pitchers using steroids back in the 70s.

I wrestled in college in the late 70's and there was a ton of steroid use in that sport. I'm sure it was common in pro sports too due to the higher stakes there.

I think baseball players have cheated since the day the game was created, that's the main reason I get angry when some old time player pops off about how the modern game is tainted.

Roger Cedeno IMO

This is who came to mind for me, too. Although Higginson certainly is a valid guess.

I wrestled in college in the late 70's and there was a ton of steroid use in that sport. I'm sure it was common in pro sports too due to the higher stakes there.

Oh yeah. A guy from around here, Zenon Andrusyshyn, got a track & field scholarship (javelin and discus) to UCLA in 1966 and made the football team as a kicker. He got introduced to steroids way back then and used briefly. He quit using, he says, because he was worried about the obvious changes to his body including the dreaded shrivelling, you know where, real or imagined.

The first baseball player to transform his body before your very eyes was Brian Downing in the mid '70's to early '80's. He certainly was a weightlifter and in those days major league teams still frowned on strength training. I've never once heard his name mentioned in connection with PED's and I'm not trying to taint him, I have no reason whatsoever to do so. To me he was the first obvious example of how strength training could make a positive difference in a baseball player's career - he went from being a weak-hitting catcher to a guy who lasted into his 40's as a DH based on his power bat. But if you see him on a baseball card from the early '70's in a White Sox uniform his arms look like mine. So once people started hitting the weight room, steroid use was inevitable. I have no doubt that baseball players were using during the mid to late 1970's.

I think baseball players have cheated since the day the game was created, that's the main reason I get angry when some old time player pops off about how the modern game is tainted.

Yup, baseball and cheating go hand in hand.

It's as much a part of the game as balls and strikes.

There's no way you can make a reliable guess because so many different types of players have used PEDs. The only real clue we have is that it was a position player. After that, it's pretty much random.

Steroids were common among body-builders in gyms in 1987 when I moved to Boise, Idaho. If a naif such as myself was exposed to steroids that far off the beaten path back then, surely so were professional athletes and certainly much sooner.

Dean Palmer played with the Tigers during Garner's tenure, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was him just due to his links with the Texas teams of the early to mid 90's. He played with a few guys who were suspected (or implicated) steroid users - Pudge, Gonzalez, Palmeiro, Canseco.

Not from Garner's era obviously, but if Lance Parrish wasn't a steroid user, I'd be shocked.

Steroids weren't just being taken by guys with power surges. Power surges also happen without the use of steroids. I really don't think it's fair to look at every player that had a power surge and suggest they may have been on steroids.

Not from Garner's era obviously, but if Lance Parrish wasn't a steroid user, I'd be shocked.

Why??

This is fascinating, because it's really a two part equation. Who would have used PEDs? And who would be stupid enough to tell their manager that they are using PEDs? It would not be a surprise if a great number of players on the team used them. But who is dumb enough to talk about it....

My top candidates:

Fick

Lima

Anderson

Jones

This is fascinating, because it's really a two part equation. Who would have used PEDs? And who would be stupid enough to tell their manager that they are using PEDs? It would not be a surprise if a great number of players on the team used them. But who is dumb enough to talk about it....

My top candidates:

Fick

Lima

Anderson

Jones

Oh I see now that he said it was a position player... Helps if I read.

Why??

Isn't the conventional wisdom thesis that steroid use moved into baseball from the body builders and the weight rooms? Someplace Lance spent some time. But Lance did have nice hair.