juiceman

Red Wings Schedule Press Conference for 5/31 @ 11am - Lidstrom Retires

I say no. I think he'd take longer if he was going to retire to be really sure.

But if he's got a lingering injury he may just say screw it.

Rumor on Facebook is that for a few minutes before being deleted there was a tweet on the official Wings' Twitter account "Sorry to hear Lidstrom retiring tomorrow".

No no no no no. This can't happen yet. Lidstrom can't go out like the Red Wings did this year. Unfortunately, Draper and Rafalski also had press conferences in early June at 11 a.m. to announce their retirements.

Here's hoping Ken Holland is just announcing approval for the new Nicklas Lidstrom Arena in downtown Detroit.

One tweet made a good point... if he were retiring wouldn't he wait until after the SCF?

One tweet made a good point... if he were retiring wouldn't he wait until after the SCF?

One would think. But Patrick Roy made his announcement the day after game 1 of the 2003 SCF.

Did they have press conferences in the past when he came back? If not then I fear he's done....

Did they have press conferences in the past when he came back? If not then I fear he's done....

Last year, they had a conference call presser as opposed to a full-blown conference. I think he's done.

It's over :cry:

Aaron Ward ‏@aaronward_nhl

According to source,Nic Lidstrom will announce his retirement tomorrow in Detroit. #TSN

@WharnsbyCBC: Holland on Lidstrom "I'll let him make his announcement. He's earned that right."

=(

His jersey retirement ceremony will be epic. Sad, sad day for hockey. Tigerbomb said it best, "what a career..."

Where's Illitch I wonder. If he's scheduled to be in Detroit for this tomorrow morning then that's it.

Him and Babcock likely will be there. I think that the Wings didn't want to say that Holland, Babcock, Illitch, and Lidstrom would all be there, then everyone would know what the press conference was for.

Unless he considers Northville the east side, it isn't his house...

Unless he considers Northville the east side, it isn't his house...

I meant east side of the state. Haha. She visits there all the time and lives near there, parents told her his house was up for sale.

Oh no.

Well, kudos to Nick Lidstrom for sustaining excellence over the course of 20 years. Without a doubt a Hockey Hall of Fame member, and if there were an athletic hall of fame for the top tier of HOF-ers in all sports, he would deserve to be there as well.

I just wish I could watch one more game.

/sigh.

Captain Norris.

Who picks up the C after the immense legacy left behind by Stevie and Nick?

Lidstrom's retirement marks the end of my own personal Red Wings "golden years". Lidstrom was a rookie in my junior year of high school, and was a huge part of a lot of great Red Wings memories throughout my late teens and 20s. I still enjoy following the Red Wings, and they are still a solid hockey club. However the salary cap era has changed the way teams are constructed, and the Wings just don't seem to have the prospects coming up to keep them in Stanley Cup contention.

First clue should be - the last few years when he decided to stick around - there was no presser, he just signed and that was that.

Yes, Zetterberg will be named captain - there is no doubt about that.

Great career - No. 5 will hang from the rafters before next season ends (probably the night Tampa Bay is in town so Yzerman can be there - like how they wanted the Diamonbacks with Tram and Gibby to be there for Sparky's honors). I would imagine that the weekend of the Winter Classic will feature a lot of tributes to him.

But honestly, this will be good for the Wings. It opens up money - it forces them to be very aggressive in a talent-rich free agent market. I think it was bad that the Wings best defensman, by far, was 40. Glad that it's Nick making the call at the right time and not getting to the point where they were shoving him out the door.

A fantastic career and I will certainly miss the hell out of #5. It is time though for him to retire. I'll always remember him standing there for the first time as team captain accepting the cup from Gary Bettman. Some friends and I went to Joe Vision in '08, game 6 and all of us were in awe that Lidstrom was in a place where Stevie Y once had stood and we had overjoyed that he was able to take the team to that height again. He took a team in the post-Yzerman era and did such a wonderful job as a leader that it has become the post Lidstrom era. I wish him nothing but the absolute best for him and his family. What a wonderful man he has been not only as a talented player on ice but as a steward for the game of hockey and for the community here in Detroit and Windsor.

A fantastic career and I will certainly miss the hell out of #5. It is time though for him to retire. I'll always remember him standing there for the first time as team captain accepting the cup from Gary Bettman. Some friends and I went to Joe Vision in '08, game 6 and all of us were in awe that Lidstrom was in a place where Stevie Y once had stood and we had overjoyed that he was able to take the team to that height again. He took a team in the post-Yzerman era and did such a wonderful job as a leader that it has become the post Lidstrom era. I wish him nothing but the absolute best for him and his family. What a wonderful man he has been not only as a talented player on ice but as a steward for the game of hockey and for the community here in Detroit and Windsor.

I was at that JoeVision game too! That was awesome. Loved that even the memorabilia stands at the Joe had the Stanley Cup champs gear getting pulled out after the game.

The thing that pains me the most about Nick deciding to retire now is that he's still at a high level. He's still a top five defenseman in the league today and clearly the Wings best player, by far. He hasn't shown too many signs of being on a decline...so that's why I'm most not looking forward to this.