CapitalTigers

Ryan Raburn to AAA

Not sure what's funny about it. Ryan would have been ok for a 25th guy. The problem is Jim felt the need to start him every day, so that's why people wanted him gone. Whoever they bring up probably won't be getting overused. But then maybe he will...

But instead of Raburn they are going to play Santiago or Worth, both of whom are ok for a 25th guy (Santiago is a bit better than that but not a ton) but the problem is Jim is going to feel the need to start one of them every day.

Maybe they are going to DH Avila and start Laird, moving Young to the bench? A guy can hope can't he?

But instead of Raburn they are going to play Santiago or Worth, both of whom are ok for a 25th guy (Santiago is a bit better than that but not a ton) but the problem is Jim is going to feel the need to start one of them every day.

I'm fine with that. They're both better defensively and shockingly better offensively than Raburn.

Tom Gage ‏@Tom_Gage

Santos move (which is short term) enables Avila to take full game off when given day off - concern lingers about wearing him down

Tom Gage ‏@Tom_Gage

Santos move (which is short term) enables Avila to take full game off when given day off - concern lingers about wearing him down

In other words, Santos will be back down once Ajax returns.

Too bad Oliver and Crosby can't throw enough strikes. Our rotation could use a boost and I'm on the annual send Porcello down kick (if possible of course). I'm a little surprised Eldred hasn't received more of shot, but of course that's come to be expected regarding 4A players ...

Not sure what's funny about it. Ryan would have been ok for a 25th guy. The problem is Jim felt the need to start him every day, so that's why people wanted him gone. Whoever they bring up probably won't be getting overused. But then maybe he will...

But Ryan was never planned to be the 25th guy. The expectation was that he was going to start pretty frequently going into the season.

But Ryan was never planned to be the 25th guy. The expectation was that he was going to start pretty frequently going into the season.

So are you insinuating that starters should never be benched, just cut from the roster? Ryan would have been just fine as a 4th or 5th OFer. They didn't have to give him so many AB's.

Too bad Oliver and Crosby can't throw enough strikes. Our rotation could use a boost and I'm on the annual send Porcello down kick (if possible of course). I'm a little surprised Eldred hasn't received more of shot, but of course that's come to be expected regarding 4A players ...

Crosby has 16k and 1bb in his last two starts (15 innings). He may have figured something out.

Can only imagine that Avila or Laird has something going on or a bug.

That is the only thing that makes sense.

Tom Gage ‏@Tom_Gage

Huh? Laird can't catch a full game?

Not buying this at all. Santiago's weak .530 OPS was still over 100 points higher than Ryan's, and is obviously better defensively. Same for Danny, better offensively and defensively.

All have been horrible (arguing about differing degrees of horrible is fruitless) ... but Raburn's track record and ceiling is higher. No question.

So are you insinuating that starters should never be benched, just cut from the roster? Ryan would have been just fine as a 4th or 5th OFer. They didn't have to give him so many AB's.

No, I am not remotely insinuating that.

I am simply pointing out that how hard fans are on a player is impacted both in how frequently the guy is used and their expectation of performance and usage going into the season.

I agree had he played less, people would be less hard on him, but there still would be disappointment in his play because he was expected to provide more than what a 25th man does.

I know there are other threads dedicated to this, and maybe I should take some time to read them, but why are the Tigers PLAYING someone that is only good half the year (Raburn)? Could Dombrowski not find someone during the off season to start at 2B rather using a rotation of bench players? I guess I find myself dumbfounded by it.

I get that Raburn is lights out in the second half, but how long before even that goes away. I would rather take my chances with a defensive regular that provides a little bat, especially with the infield the Tigers have. I have no faith offensively or defensively with the players the Tigers are rotating at second.

Ok, rant over. Sorry about that.

Not buying this at all. Santiago's weak .530 OPS was still over 100 points higher than Ryan's, and is obviously better defensively. Same for Danny, better offensively and defensively.

He said Raburn has a higher ceiling. You do not 'buy that'? I am no Raburn lover, but the dudes ceiling is much higher than Santiagos.

No, I am not remotely insinuating that.

I am simply pointing out that how hard fans are on a player is impacted both in how frequently the guy is used and their expectation of performance and usage going into the season.

I agree had he played less, people would be less hard on him, but there still would be disappointment in his play because he was expected to provide more than what a 25th man does.

I completely agree. If you read Shelton's original post, he said it was funny that people wanted Ryan gone when the alternative won't be any better. My point was that people wanted him gone so that Leyland won't be tempted to start him every game. More Worth/Santiago IS an improvement. Addition by subtraction.

He said Raburn has a higher ceiling. You do not 'buy that'? I am no Raburn lover, but the dudes ceiling is much higher than Santiagos.

Of course it's higher, that isn't what I was referring to in my post.

So sit Ryan on the bench and increase his playing if/when he finally does start to hit, like they usually do. He didn't have to start nearly as much as he did.

I completely agree. If you read Shelton's original post, he said it was funny that people wanted Ryan gone when the alternative won't be any better. My point was that people wanted him gone so that Leyland won't be tempted to start him every game. More Worth/Santiago IS an improvement. Addition by subtraction.

No, he said it was funny that people wanted him demoted, but didn't have a clear idea of who to call up to replace him on the roster.

That is different thing than saying who on the current roster should replace him.

Of course it's higher, that isn't what I was referring to in my post.

So sit Ryan on the bench and increase his playing if/when he finally does start to hit, like they usually do. He didn't have to start nearly as much as he did.

How do you know he is hitting well playing sporadically? Honest question.

Personally I'd rather him play everyday in Toledo than getting 1-2 starts a week here.

I still don't see what's funny about that. Hell, cut the roster to 24 for all I care. Who they bring up is irrelevant. They're a better team without him right now.

Tom Gage opines that perhaps the Tigers had something else in mind but it fell through so they just called up Santos. Otherwise why wait a day to announce it?