Sign in to follow this  
monkeynuts

Thaddeus McCotter...Captain Corruption?

Brian Dickerson: Thaddeus McCotter turns election cakewalk into Mt. Everest | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Wow. I am very interested to see how this all plays out.

Michigan Republicans went to an awful lot of trouble to make sure that all U.S. Rep. Thaddeus McCotter had to do to win re-election was qualify for a spot on his party’s primary ballot and avoid a felony conviction between now and November.

But the incumbent already has flunked the first prerequisite, and it appears that McCotter or one of his trusted subordinates attempted to defraud the state by forging most of the 1,000 signatures McCotter needed to be on the Aug. 7 Republican primary ballot.

The five-term congressman from Livonia conceded that his campaign had failed to file the minimum number of valid signatures Monday after state election officials said that all but 244 of the names listed on his qualifying petition appeared to be photocopied duplicates.

“Somebody either panicked or it was sabotage,” McCotter said. He declined to identify the person or people who submitted the bogus petitions, saying only that those responsible were trusted subordinates who had handled the chore without incident in previous election cycles.

(Note to Secretary of State: Be sure to review qualifying signatures for previous election cycles.)

McCotter’s 11th Congressional District was reconfigured after the 2010 Census by Republican legislators who wanted to make sure it would be virtually impossible for U.S. Rep. Gary Peters (or any other Democrat) to win there. Vaguely resembling an upside-down fishhook, the district was awkwardly plotted to encompass the reliably Republican enclaves of Birmingham and Bloomfield Hills while skirting Pontiac, Southfield, Farmington Hills and most of West Bloomfield.

But the only Republican on the ballot now, in a district that is designed to be a lock for any Republican nominee with a pulse, is Kerry Bentivolio, a free-market enthusiast who called for the abolition of income and business taxes in an unsuccessful bid for the state Senate two years ago. On his campaign website, Bentivolio pledges to “initiate a commission” to prosecute corruption. The website also mentions that he and his wife raise “live reindeer trained to pull Santa’s sleigh in various parades and special holiday events.”

McCotter’s only hope for re-election now rests with an uphill write-in campaign, a challenge that could prove more difficult if another well-known Republican chooses to exploit the chaos.

In the meantime, Republicans have two months to consider the possibility that they may have idiot-proofed Michigan’s most affluent congressional district for a tea party reindeer herder.

I'm guessing it was a staffer or a staff just too lazy to do the necessary grunt work, figuring they could just mail it in on auto pilot. "wait, you mean they actually check these things?" I don't know about sabatoge.

McCotter is my Congressmen here in the 11th district of Michigan. The last two Congressional races I voted for the ill-equipped Libertarian alternative John Tartar, so ifMcCotter doesn't qualify to run, I'll just sit back and laugh.

He got snookered by somebody

I think just another example that the GOP ground game is suffering in the upper Midwest. They can get enough votes in elections, but the party support machinery is in limbo between the old line and the tea-party.

I think just another example that the GOP ground game is suffering in the upper Midwest. They can get enough votes in elections, but the party support machinery is in limbo between the old line and the tea-party.

I think its an indictment of ball point pen distribution in the 11th district.

What an amateur. But at least he threw his hat into the presidential primary process. That was a good use of time and money.

If Republicans opt not to support Kerry Bentivolio and seek to write-in McCotter, they get what they deserve.

Did you see that the Democrat challenger is a Larouche candidate?

He's going to get through this. And the guilty will be punished.

Did you see that the Democrat challenger is a Larouche candidate?

He's going to get through this. And the guilty will be punished.

Actually, there are 2 Democratic candidates for the 11th - William Roberts of Redford Township and Dr. Syed Taj of Canton.

State reviews U.S. Rep. Thaddeus McCotter's petitions for criminal fraud | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

I don't like LaRouche's politics, but the guy is a hoot. The way he incorporates Thermo Nuclear War into any conversation is just awesome. And he is completely in favor of impeaching Obama (to avoid Thermo Nuclear War), so I can't complain about that.

Here is a recent LaRouche clip. Very entertaining. How many times does he say Thermo Nuclear War in this interview?

just spent a few moments on Dr, Taj's website...its pretty well put together.

McCotter better figure this one out that guy could win.

The silence from the self-appointed defenders of election integrity is very.... very conspicuous....

Guess its pretty obvious now what they really care about.

The silence from the self-appointed defenders of election integrity is very.... very conspicuous....

any in particular, or are you shadow-boxing?

I have no idea who this is directed at. Personally, I applaud the fact that they discovered this. I suspect, however, that this is no fault of McCotters other than poor judgement on who to trust with this task. That said, it is what it is, and he didn't get the signatures. Republicans have another candidate on the ballot, so this shouldn't be a problem, unless the GOP or McCotter makes it one.

LOL

nice to see that those who "care" about election fraud "care" enough to condemn a Repub's actions that are... so obviously fraudulent.

I don't see any fraud in this case, just some underling who thought he could mail it in. Heard McCotter in an interview yesterday saying there would be an investigation and heads might roll

LOL

nice to see that those who "care" about election fraud "care" enough to condemn a Repub's actions that are... so obviously fraudulent.

Wow, whiney. I think there should be an investigation, I didn't realize I needed to state that, but fine.

However, we don't know if McCotter is guilty of fraud. As I said, I suspect this was perpetrated by his subordinate, and if that holds true that individual should be held accountable for their actions. And if it turns out it is McCotter, then he should as well.

And while we are on the topic, there are probably 10's of thousands of people guilty of voter fraud this election cycle. Let's crack down on all of these people. I don't know if I needed to state that, but it seems like I did, lest my care for the integrity of the system be in doubt.

Wow, whiney. I think there should be an investigation, I didn't realize I needed to state that, but fine.

However, we don't know if McCotter is guilty of fraud. As I said, I suspect this was perpetrated by his subordinate, and if that holds true that individual should be held accountable for their actions. And if it turns out it is McCotter, then he should as well.

And while we are on the topic, there are probably 10's of thousands of people guilty of voter fraud this election cycle. Let's crack down on all of these people. I don't know if I needed to state that, but it seems like I did, lest my care for the integrity of the system be in doubt.

I guess I figured that when one claims that they care about election integrity, they'd.... care about election integrity? Strange, I know....

At any rate.... nice to see you're actually against election fraud.

I agree we should crack down on people quilty of election fraud. Too bad most GOPers presume guilt and start setting up barriers to these presumed guilty to the polls.

and.... its not "whiney". It's demonstrating quite clearly what the good guys have been arguing for a long, long time. And I'm ecstatic to do it, not at all whiney.

Edited by pfife

I don't see any fraud in this case, just some underling who thought he could mail it in. Heard McCotter in an interview yesterday saying there would be an investigation and heads might roll

I heard on the radio this morning that the authorities think the signatures may have been photocopied. That's falsifying signatures, which would be fraud, would it not?

I guess I figured that when one claims that they care about election integrity, they'd.... care about election integrity? Strange, I know....

At any rate.... nice to see you're actually against election fraud.

I agree we should crack down on people quilty of election fraud. Too bad most GOPers presume guilt and start setting up barriers to these presumed guilty to the polls.

and.... its not "whiney". It's demonstrating quite clearly what the good guys have been arguing for a long, long time. And I'm ecstatic to do it, not at all whiney.

When one has to claim they are not whiney, you know they are being a whiney puss.

And this is whiney again. Should I have to claim in every post that I am against election fraud? Does my claim expire after every post that I have to continually post it? I've never seen you claim that you are against election fraud. Weird. I guess if I was a moron, then I assume that you don't care about it.

Given that you presume someone is guilty of fraud here, does that make you a Republican? Afterall, you think they are the ones that presume guilt.

I heard on the radio this morning that the authorities think the signatures may have been photocopied. That's falsifying signatures, which would be fraud, would it not?

Maybe. Maybe not.

Signature copies are often acceptable as evidence of a signature for various legal transactions.

To the extent that the copies were provided in lieu of the actual signatures, could simply indicate a mistake. A lot would depend on the intent of the individual who submitted these, whether they realized that these were unacceptable, and whether the copied signatures are valid or falsified. The bar to prove fraud is generally petty high. This is why an investigation is needed, and why you shouldnt' presume guilt based upon the morning radio report.

Maybe. Maybe not.

Signature copies are often acceptable as evidence of a signature for various legal transactions.

To the extent that the copies were provided in lieu of the actual signatures, could simply indicate a mistake. A lot would depend on the intent of the individual who submitted these, whether they realized that these were unacceptable, and whether the copied signatures are valid or falsified. The bar to prove fraud is generally petty high. This is why an investigation is needed, and why you shouldnt' presume guilt based upon the morning radio report.

From the Freep article above:

"Signatures on photocopied petitions and duplicate signatures are automatically disallowed, he said; all pages must be original."

"There also were photocopies of petition sheets that appear to have been lifted from another document, possibly signatures collected during an earlier campaign, Thomas said.The dates of those petition signatures don't line up correctly with signatures on the page and were apparently cut and pasted into the photocopied document."

From the Freep article above:

"Signatures on photocopied petitions and duplicate signatures are automatically disallowed, he said; all pages must be original."

"There also were photocopies of petition sheets that appear to have been lifted from another document, possibly signatures collected during an earlier campaign, Thomas said.The dates of those petition signatures don't line up correctly with signatures on the page and were apparently cut and pasted into the photocopied document."

This would fall under where I said it would depend upon whether the signatures were valid or falsified. Clearly if the signatures aren't valid, there is a problem, and it is likely fraud.

Pfife indicated that photocopied signatures meant that they were falsified, and thereby fraud. But if the signatures were valid, a photocopy of them doesn't mean there has been fraud. It could simply mean that they were submitted improperly. But it would depend upon the intent and knowledge of the person submitting them.

Based upon your quotes it doesn't look good for McCotter or his subordinate, but the process needs to play out.

When one has to claim they are not whiney, you know they are being a whiney puss.

Likewise, then, when one claims to not be a birther, they know they're being a birther, right?

What a crock. That's some of the worst reasoning I've read on this forum since... well... someone had the right to run someone over who inconvenienced them.

And this is whiney again. Should I have to claim in every post that I am against election fraud?

No, did someone say you did?

For what its worth, you sound quite whiney here.

Does my claim expire after every post that I have to continually post it?

No, and neither does your whining.

I've never seen you claim that you are against election fraud.

Then you haven't read my posts in the jim crow thread.

I'm not sure why you have to whine about my claims though, its really starting to get tiresome.

Weird. I guess if I was a moron, then I assume that you don't care about it.

I have no idea what you mean here, but alas, it sounds like passive aggressive whining.

Given that you presume someone is guilty of fraud here, does that make you a Republican? Afterall, you think they are the ones that presume guilt.

Nope, not a republican. But if one has to say they're not something, then obviously they are then, isn't that right, demand-side liberal ballmich?