MrDeeds

Desperate times...desperate measures

There aren’t many places in America more likely to be suspicious of Mormonism — and potentially more problematic for Mitt Romney, who is seeking to become the country’s first Mormon president....

And yet, there is scant evidence that Romney’s religion is making much difference in how voters here are thinking about the presidential election and whether they are willing to back the former Massachusetts governor.

Indeed, many here say their political values will be more important to their vote than religion or history. A rural and deeply religious community, many cite the cultural issues of abortion and gun rights as foremost on their minds. The weak economy has deepened their dislike of President Obama, who received less than 40 percent of the vote in Arkansas in 2008.

None of that history, though, including the massacre, may make much of a difference at the polls.

“That was 200 years ago,” Doug Steele, 45, a Republican insurance agent related to some of the massacre victims, said over a chicken sandwich at Granny’s Kitchen in Huntsville. “It’s been a long time. You can’t hate forever.”

So what is the point of this article? Basically the gist is.... "Some mormons did a bad thing 150 years ago but it will probably not affect Romney's chances but we thought you should still know about it"

I wonder if any of Obama's African ancestors did anything similar? Obviously it won't impact the vote but hey... if we need to know what a candidate's ancestors did 150 years ago then we they should report it.

Not sure how the whiney right-wing collective victim complex has been activated by this article. Seems pretty historical, and it's not blaming Romney for it in any way. It talks about people's skepticism about Mormonism being a cult, which is something a lot of evangelicals actually believe. It doesn't endorse this kind of view though.

Fun watching all the phony alpha-male conservative tough guys pretend to cry, though.

I mean, I am fairly positive conservatives are going to get far more traction playing the victim card (yet again) with this article than any anti-Romney faction is going to get.

It talks about people's skepticism about Mormonism being a cult, which is something a lot of evangelicals actually believe.

I've seen it on this very forum. When evangelical Republicans call Mormons a cult, it's ignored by the less prone to snake-handling/speaking in tongues members of the GOP, since they can't risk offending their base of Jesus enthusiasts. But when Kaplan Test Prep Fishwrapper, Inc. (aka WaPo) acknowledges this fact, your typical Alex P. Keaton-style GOP hack haz a sad.

I've seen it on this very forum. When evangelical Republicans call Mormons a cult, it's ignored by the less prone to snake-handling/speaking in tongues members of the GOP, since they can't risk offending their base of Jesus enthusiasts. But when Kaplan Test Prep Fishwrapper, Inc. (aka WaPo) acknowledges this fact, your typical Alex P. Keaton-style GOP hack haz a sad.
Just wondering if a link exists to tie this description to the GOP?

So what is the point of this article? Basically the gist is.... "Some mormons did a bad thing 150 years ago but it will probably not affect Romney's chances but we thought you should still know about it"

I wonder if any of Obama's African ancestors did anything similar? Obviously it won't impact the vote but hey... if we need to know what a candidate's ancestors did 150 years ago then we they should report it.

Probably more fun to just read "A Study in Scarlett" if it's up one's alley.

Not sure how the whiney right-wing collective victim complex has been activated by this article. Seems pretty historical, and it's not blaming Romney for it in any way. It talks about people's skepticism about Mormonism being a cult, which is something a lot of evangelicals actually believe. It doesn't endorse this kind of view though.

Fun watching all the phony alpha-male conservative tough guys pretend to cry, though.

Interesting to see where all the violence has come from over the past 3 years...it hasn't been the hard right, the hard-hard right or the loony Right. Yeah, the same people who brought us Ad busters have been involved in bomb plots, riots and threats to do worse. The protests over Travvon Martin have been especially bloody minded.

not to mention the hurt feelings I have when you say that I'm phony macho.

Sorry, but Romney's Mormonism is a problem for me. It really is. I know many fine, decent Mormons. But I've seen how that church works. And I know that Romney isn't just a member, but a leader of that church.

Does Romney share responsibility for what happened at Mountain Meadows 150 years ago? Of course not. But that church hasn't admitted to the full truth yet about that business and their prophet, Brigham Young's part in it. The church threw Lee under the bus, and Lee knew it. Why is this even relevant? Not the action then, but the lies now. They are typical of how that bunch operates. If you haven't read The Mormon Murders, you should. Another more recent example of the church leadership conspiring to protect their church rather than seeking justice, even after one of their own members, an innocent wife and mother, was brutally murdered with a package bomb.

Just wondering if a link exists to tie this description to the GOP?

Just being abrasive, that's all.

Anyway, if I'm some cold, calculating atheist MF'er like Karl Rove, here's how I'm viewing Mitt's evangelical problem. The vast majority of anti-Mormon sentiment doesn't come from opponents in the Democratic Party or random left wing internet yahoos like Mr. DNA, it actually comes from my own base-- evangelical Christians. So, what's a Republican strategist to do? PROJECT. Yep, make the problem of anti-Mormon sentiment look like it's coming from the librul media rather than my strange bedfellows within my own party. So, try and make it look like an article ABOUT Mitt's problem with evangelicals is actually a liberal media attack on Mormonism.

Sorry, but Romney's Mormonism is a problem for me. It really is. I know many fine, decent Mormons. But I've seen how that church works. And I know that Romney isn't just a member, but a leader of that church.

Does Romney share responsibility for what happened at Mountain Meadows 150 years ago? Of course not. But that church hasn't admitted to the full truth yet about that business and their prophet, Brigham Young's part in it. The church threw Lee under the bus, and Lee knew it. Why is this even relevant? Not the action then, but the lies now. They are typical of how that bunch operates. If you haven't read The Mormon Murders, you should. Another more recent example of the church leadership conspiring to protect their church rather than seeking justice, even after one of their own members, an innocent wife and mother, was brutally murdered with a package bomb.

Mormonism does seem a little odd to me, then again my religion is responsible for raping children in my lifetime, let alone 150 years ago.

The Bain attacks aren't bombing. But they weren't started by the Obama campaign. Newt Gingrich pretty much got the word out first, and that's when Romney's favorables started to dramatically reverse themselves on a national level. They have never recovered. Word has been out on them for a while. The damage has been done, and the damage is permanent.

Mormonism does seem a little odd to me, then again my religion is responsible for raping children in my lifetime, let alone 150 years ago.

Are they still lying about it and trying to spin it as though the church leadership who directed the outrage was actually a hero? That's my issue.

Individually, Mormons are nice people. Nice, deceived, people. But their leadership? they know what is truth and what is lie, and conspire to cover it up.

The thing is, the swing voters that are out there that will decide this election aren't the type that are going to suddenly embrace Romney because Obama was "unfair" to private capital institutions like Bain. They naturally distrust such institutions because they've likely been laid off or had their benefits cut by one in the past. If anything, they'll side with Obama FOR being unfair in this case.

The more this controversy is in the news, the more people's image of Romney gets tied to an insensitive and unfeeling corporation that cares not at all about workers and 100% about getting rich off the backs of others.

The Bain attacks aren't bombing. But they weren't started by the Obama campaign. Newt Gingrich pretty much got the word out first, and that's when Romney's favorables started to dramatically reverse themselves on a national level. They have never recovered. Word has been out on them for a while. The damage has been done, and the damage is permanent.

Also doesn't help that the villain in the upcoming Batman film is named Bane. There's only so much THIS GUY can do to combat the negative association with the word Bain:

conrad+bain.jpg

Romney was born a man of means, but the rest of us have got nothin' but our genes.

Are they still lying about it and trying to spin it as though the church leadership who directed the outrage was actually a hero? That's my issue.

Ummm, yeah, pretty much. As the Pope is infallible, I guess you can't saying lying, let's just say misdirecting instead of lying then.

Also doesn't help that the villain in the upcoming Batman film is named Bane. There's only so much THIS GUY can do to combat the negative association with the word Bain:

conrad+bain.jpg

Romney was born a man of means, but the rest of us have got nothin' but our genes.

That guy is still alive.

It's because talking about a candidates past and the crazy beliefs his ancestors may have had is racist duh

The thing is, the swing voters that are out there that will decide this election aren't the type that are going to suddenly embrace Romney because Obama was "unfair" to private capital institutions like Bain. They naturally distrust such institutions because they've likely been laid off or had their benefits cut by one in the past. If anything, they'll side with Obama FOR being unfair in this case.

The more this controversy is in the news, the more people's image of Romney gets tied to an insensitive and unfeeling corporation that cares not at all about workers and 100% about getting rich off the backs of others.

A large majority of Americans like free markets, and like business more than government. Attacking vague evil wall street profiteers is one thing, but Obama has gone too far and it is tanking. There is a reason that Republican candidates always act more right wing than they really are, and Democrat candidates act more moderate than they really are, it's because this country has a wide majority of economically conservative people.