NeedMoreLike84

Are big changes coming?

Raburn going forward is also not worse.

He's also awful defensively. I get it, Hudson is probably going to suck. But it's not like he's taking a roster spot from anyone meaningful.

So if Hudson is a bad fielder that might be able to post a .700ish OPS in a given year, what makes him different than Ryan Raburn?

There are better 2B that have been released this year than Hudson. The only reason Hudson is being brought up is because he was good 3 years ago, but that's no reason to bring anyone aboard. You'd just be betting on a hot streak that Raburn, Santiago, or even Worth is just as likely to run into.

I would love to see Young and Balester released and Putkonen demoted to the minors. But given the lack of depth in this organization, their replacements would likely be just as bad.

Putkonen is going to be demoted pretty soon when Luis Marte is ready to come off the DL.

It'll be interesting to see if there's another bullpen move coming up, because right now the Tigers are at 13 pitchers. Between Marte, Villarreal, Putkonen, and Balester, only two guys can be on the roster behind Valverde, Benoit, Coke, Dotel, and Below. Marte was good enough to make the team out of ST and has looked really good in his rehab, and I don't see how they can demote Villarreal now that he's actually pitching well. Putkonen is an obvious drop, but I don't see how they choose Balester over either Villarreal or Marte.

Long story short, Balester has a good chance of getting the ol' DFA within the week. If Young gets replaced, it won't be from anyone in the system currently.

He's not on the 40 so it would require dropping someone (Putkonen anyone?) , but I'm expecting Zach Miner will be back in the Tiger bullpen before long.

Oliver is most definitely on the 40 man. And Zach Miner, just, no. That would take a miracle.

And Zach Miner, just, no. That would take a miracle.

I was thinking that would be whatever the opposite of a miracle is, actually.

I was thinking that would be whatever the opposite of a miracle is, actually.

He'd be the Eddie Bonine of 2010 alternate reality timeline legend!

Zach, I hope you've been working on the "finisher pitch"

Putkonen is going to be demoted pretty soon when Luis Marte is ready to come off the DL.

It'll be interesting to see if there's another bullpen move coming up, because right now the Tigers are at 13 pitchers. Between Marte, Villarreal, Putkonen, and Balester, only two guys can be on the roster behind Valverde, Benoit, Coke, Dotel, and Below. Marte was good enough to make the team out of ST and has looked really good in his rehab, and I don't see how they can demote Villarreal now that he's actually pitching well. Putkonen is an obvious drop, but I don't see how they choose Balester over either Villarreal or Marte.

Long story short, Balester has a good chance of getting the ol' DFA within the week. If Young gets replaced, it won't be from anyone in the system currently.

So who is Justin Henry and can he still play 2b and if so why isn't he a better choice than Raburn at 2b? Looks like he has no power, but so far neither does Raburn......

So if Hudson is a bad fielder that might be able to post a .700ish OPS in a given year, what makes him different than Ryan Raburn?

There are better 2B that have been released this year than Hudson. The only reason Hudson is being brought up is because he was good 3 years ago, but that's no reason to bring anyone aboard. You'd just be betting on a hot streak that Raburn, Santiago, or even Worth is just as likely to run into.

Neither Hudson nor Raburn are bad fielders. Hudson has an 8 year track record of good defense and one season of below average. Raburn is a horrific fielder.

Hudson posted an OBP 30 points higher than Raburn's last year and stole 19 bases and a 9 year track record of solid play.

Just put Matt Young at 2nd base already

Actually I would really like it if the team had a bench player other than Santiago and Kelly available to do anything

Just put Matt Young at 2nd base already

Actually I would really like it if the team had a bench player other than Santiago and Kelly available to do anything

That .450 OBP is some hot ****.

Now that he's a White Sock, I'm listening to Chicago talk radio discussing that Hudson is an atrocious clubhouse guy. FWIW.

A more realistic option might be Johnny Giavotella. KC looks like they're all but giving up on the guy (he's platooning with Irving Falu as injury fill-ins for Yuni Betancourt and Chris Getz.....everything about that sentence is wrong). I feel like DD could snag him with a decent prospect before they come to their senses.

A more realistic option might be Johnny Giavotella. KC looks like they're all but giving up on the guy (he's platooning with Irving Falu as injury fill-ins for Yuni Betancourt and Chris Getz.....everything about that sentence is wrong). I feel like DD could snag him with a decent prospect before they come to their senses.

Tony Paul wrote about that the other day. But he thought Getz was the guy the Tigers might land rather than Giavotella.

Leyland will not be fired.

I would not be shocked to see Turner and/or Castellanos shipped out for a power hitting DH.

I just started into this thread and haven't read all the way through so there may already be plenty of responses to this but...

Castellanos & Turner for a DH? Seriously?

Dombrowski doesn't trade that way, I think we all know that by now... shouldn't we?

DD has not traded our top 1 or 2 prospects for anything other than a certifiable All-Star, IE: Miggy Cabrera.

But you think he'll trade them for a DH? Wow!!!

Henning just tossed out an article today that makes a whole lot more sense: catching and pitching depth (not named Turner) for a 2B'man. There isn't a whole lot out there, available, though...

So... does Brantly, Oliver (I am loathe to trade Crosby at this point, as well), and a minor league reliever a doable/ desirable trade for Neil Walker? They have a 26-y.o. 2B'man in AAA who seems decent, and not a huge step-down from Walker; although I don't follow the minors alot so he may just be a AAAA guy... But a future starting catcher and a couple decent-to-very-good pitchers might be a good trade for a Pirates team not yet ready to win now... Barajas is 36+...

...The way I see it, Castellanos is totally a trade chip at this point. If the org. thinks he can't play 2B and he can't play SS, and he can't play OF, then he's done here. Martinez has two more years, Cabrera has three or four, Fielder has eight. I just don't see him sticking around to see Martinez leave and even if he does, Cabrera will be nearing free agency and I doubt he'd want to move to DH and negatively affect his value as he plays for what likely will be his final contract. It just seems like there's no room in the org. for Castellanos anymore if he can't play another position, so I absolutely view him as a trade chip...

I disagree with this... the way I see it, with respect to the V-Mart/ Miggy/ Prince/ Castellanos dynamic, is:

In two years, after V-Mart leaves, I see Castellanos at 3rd, Miggy back at 1st (I know he doesn't like it a whole lot...), and Prince at DH.

It has to be done. Let me re-emphasize that: it HAS to be done!!!

Leyland will not be fired.

I would not be shocked to see Turner and/or Castellanos shipped out for a power hitting DH.

Another DH? I assure you that the last player the Tigers need to acquire is another DH. They have too many DH-types as it is (never mind that some of them aren't hitting), hence the abysmal range of their defense.

I disagree with this... the way I see it, with respect to the V-Mart/ Miggy/ Prince/ Castellanos dynamic, is:

In two years, after V-Mart leaves, I see Castellanos at 3rd, Miggy back at 1st (I know he doesn't like it a whole lot...), and Prince at DH.

It has to be done. Let me re-emphasize that: it HAS to be done!!!

I agree with your post. The Tigers need to improve their overall team defense. Their defensive range is inadequate & not major league caliber. Given the spacious dimensions of Comerica Park, Dombrowski's fascination with acquiring slow, fat, unathletic DH-types has always puzzled me. Dombrowski has built the Tigers as if he thought he was assembling a fantasy baseball roster. He forgot that hits and runs given up due to poor defensive range negate runs produced by the offense. Given that the offense is not producing as expected, the poor defensive range is even harder to accept.

I agree with your post. The Tigers need to improve their overall team defense. Their defensive range is inadequate & not major league caliber. Given the spacious dimensions of Comerica Park, Dombrowski's fascination with acquiring slow, fat, unathletic DH-types has always puzzled me. Dombrowski has built the Tigers as if he thought he was assembling a fantasy baseball roster. He forgot that hits and runs given up due to poor defensive range negate runs produced by the offense. Given that the offense is not producing as expected, the poor defensive range is even harder to accept.

I still do not think Dombrowski had much to do with the Prince Fielder signing. Illitch basically snapped his fingers, opened his wallet, and said sign Prince. I'm sure Dombrowski would have rather used that money more wisely, but the option wasn't presented to him.

The Prince Fielder signing has nothing to do with the team struggling. Does anyone really think this team is better with Kelly (or worse yet, Inge) as an every day 3B?

The Prince Fielder signing has nothing to do with the team struggling. Does anyone really think this team is better with Kelly (or worse yet, Inge) as an every day 3B?

I've seen it on Twitter a bit. I can't tell if they're joking or not anymore.

I'm going to be so happy when Don Kelly doesn't play for my favorite team anymore. I don't understand why teams (certainly not just the Tigers) are so loyal to bad bench players when you have a pretty good chance of finding an improvement as a minor league free agent.

I'm going to be so happy when Don Kelly doesn't play for my favorite team anymore. I don't understand why teams (certainly not just the Tigers) are so loyal to bad bench players when you have a pretty good chance of finding an improvement as a minor league free agent.

and i still cant figure out why jim uses ramon to PH - he sucks at hitting, so why use him? makes no sense. But of course DD hasnt really built a deep team either...