NeedMoreLike84

Are big changes coming?

Pity that Oliver has 36 walks in 44 innings at Toledo. Opposing team just hitting. 172. ERA 3.25. At 27 I think he's done.

Oliver is 24. Unless you're saying you think he'll be out of baseball in three years, in which case you might be right.

Orlando Hudson just got released today. Wonder if he has anything left?
If the Padres released him, no.

This exchange made me laugh.

If the Padres released him, no.

Could it hurt? .211 is better than anything the Tigers have.....it could spark something and it wouldn't cost much.....

Pity that Oliver has 36 walks in 44 innings at Toledo. Opposing team just hitting. 172. ERA 3.25. At 27 I think he's done.

Stick him in the pen. A lefty Albuquerque: lots of walks, punchounts, and groundballs. Like Schlereth but without the hard contact and jacks.

Stick him in the pen. A lefty Albuquerque: lots of walks, punchounts, and groundballs. Like Schlereth but without the hard contact and jacks.

I've seen that idea tossed about before. I'd consider it before dumping him, at least.

Oliver is 24. Unless you're saying you think he'll be out of baseball in three years, in which case you might be right.

Mea culpa.

He's not on the 40 so it would require dropping someone (Putkonen anyone?) , but I'm expecting Zach Miner will be back in the Tiger bullpen before long.

He's not on the 40 so it would require dropping someone (Putkonen anyone?) , but I'm expecting Zach Miner will be back in the Tiger bullpen before long.

Oh boy.

Maybe the big change is the bullpen coach gets fired. Rick Knapp got his when DD and JL faced the heat before. I think that JL and the Pirate Mafia are safe.

I would love to see Young and Balester released and Putkonen demoted to the minors. But given the lack of depth in this organization, their replacements would likely be just as bad.

Oh, you mean the third string DH and the 13th reliever? Most clubs have trouble with those, too.

Oh, you mean the third string DH and the 13th reliever? Most clubs have trouble with those, too.

I don't think many good teams have as terrible middle relief and bench players as the Tigers do though. But then, the organization seemed completely content with a bench of Laird, Kelly, Santiago, and Inge going into the season for some reason. Backup catcher being bad is fine, but a backup outfielder or infielder that could hit would seem to have been a good idea.

I don't think many good teams have as terrible middle relief and bench players as the Tigers do though. But then, the organization seemed completely content with a bench of Laird, Kelly, Santiago, and Inge going into the season for some reason. Backup catcher being bad is fine, but a backup outfielder or infielder that could hit would seem to have been a good idea.

The reason they had all of those guys was because the org obviously felt they'd have plenty of offense, and the bench was there for defensive purposes. I felt the same way, so I can't really complain. I really don't mind santiago and laird, they have proven track records of being serviceable bench players. Kelly is whatever, they could probably use someone better, and Inge is obviously awful, no excuse there. It's also important to remember that Dirks was a bench player coming into the season, and he's played his way into a starting role. He was the bench player who could hit.

As far as middle relief goes, I completely agree, there is no excuse for the arms they've been putting out there recently. The good news is that putkonen and balester will be replaced by villarreal and marte once the roster goes back to 12 pitchers. If I had to guess, the middle relief will end up working out. I'd be surprised if one random guy didn't come up from the minors and have success. Villarreal is as close to being dominant as he is to being in AAA. His stuff is electric. They'll also make one, if not two moves for a reliever, and that move/those moves will replace whomever is ineffective come july. I think that part will actually work out. I'm more worried about Benoit and Valverde, because those guys are essentially counted on to carry the big weight in the back of the pen, and have been awful thus far.

In terms of DH, it's pretty easy to find a guy come mid June- July when teams start to fall out of contention who can hit and not do much else. Elmon needs to go, though.

Second base is another story. Don't get me started there.

Edited by alwaysthrowheat

The reason they had all of those guys was because the org obviously felt they'd have plenty of offense, and the bench was there for defensive purposes. I felt the same way, so I can't really complain. I really don't mind santiago and laird, they have proven track records of being serviceable bench players. Kelly is whatever, they could probably use someone better, and Inge is obviously awful, no excuse there. It's also important to remember that Dirks was a bench player coming into the season, and he's played his way into a starting role. He was the bench player who could hit.

As far as middle relief goes, I completely agree, there is no excuse for the arms they've been putting out there recently. The good news is that putkonen and balester will be replaced by villarreal and marte once the roster goes back to 12 pitchers. If I had to guess, the middle relief will end up working out. I'd be surprised if one random guy didn't come up from the minors and have success. Villarreal is as close to being dominant as he is to being in AAA. His stuff is electric. They'll also make one, if not two moves for a reliever, and that move/those moves will replace whomever is ineffective come july. I think that part will actually work out. I'm more worried about Benoit and Valverde, because those guys are essentially counted on to carry the big weight in the back of the pen, and have been awful thus far.

In terms of DH, it's pretty easy to find a guy come mid June- July when teams start to fall out of contention who can hit and not do much else. Elmon needs to go, though.

Second base is another story. Don't get me started there.

Great post. I'm not as worried about Benoit as I am about Valverde, though. I think he can get it together.

Most good teams also don't have the best pitcher in baseball, and the best hitter in baseball on their teams simultaneously. Most teams really don't have a 3rd top 10 player either.

People need to stop declaring Castellanos expendable. He's 20 years old, and they aren't going to bail on someone as good as he is just because, maybe in 2 or 3 years there might not be a spot for him. And no one's ever said that he can't play OF. They just haven't talked about moving him yet because of the whole being 20 thing.

I agree with this. Catellanos is a guy who could be a special player, whether or not he would currently "fit" in the lineup is irrelevant. If he were a pitcher I'd be more likely to want to trade him for the here and now, but I'm more wary of trading away high-quality positional prospects.

Why is there no way?

I think organizationally speaking, that DD and JL are two heads on the same monster. If one gets canned, then the other one should be gone too. Canning JL would have to come from Illitch, and such a move would be a clear vote of no confidence in DD.

Most good teams also don't have the best pitcher in baseball, and the best hitter in baseball on their teams simultaneously. Most teams really don't have a 3rd top 10 player either.

Yeah, and it's a shame they're wasting the primes of said players career with such a crappy supporting cast

Sure. He comes at league minimum though. So why not just see?

Because it also costs a roster spot and we don't need to add him to the team to see that he sucks.

Because it also costs a roster spot and we don't need to add him to the team to see that he sucks.

Last season .246/.329/.352 in PETCO. That's an OPS+ of 94 and he was basically a 1 WAR player (1.4 offensive, -.3 defensive).

For comparisons sake, Ryan Raburn .256/.297/.432. OPS+ of 97.

Ramon Santiago .260/.311/.384, OPS+ of 89.

Since none of the 3 mentioned are spring chickens (Hudson is 34, Raburn 31, Santiago 32), age isn't much of a factor.

Hudson is a solid OBP guy. He's not a great fielder, but he does have some value on the base paths. If grabbing Hudson lets us push Raburn into the OF and Boesch to DH (bye bye Elmon), than it makes a lot of sense. Especially because you could reasonably argue that Hudson is the best batter of the three candidates...and that was playing in PETCO.

He's not worse than the .487 OPS 2B we're putting out there currently.