NeedMoreLike84

Are big changes coming?

I'm not calling for them. I am not saying they should. But are they?

I could actually see Leyland or someone getting fired earlier than people think. Again, not saying I WANT this to happen. Just that I could see it happening.

Leyland will not be fired.

I would not be shocked to see Turner and/or Castellanos shipped out for a power hitting DH.

Really? I could see them going after a 2B and corner fielder. But a DH?

Leyland is not going to be fired. It's not the way Ilitch and Dombrowski operate.

Maybe a closed-door Leyland tirade. They are not going to trade for a DH. 2B is possible.

I dunno. He fired Randy Smith and Phil Garner 6 games in.

Huh?

Edit: I think that you meant to quote somebody else. I think that Leyland being fired would have to be approved by Illitch. I don't see that happening.

Edited by Walt

Huh?

Edit: I think that you meant to quote somebody else. I think that Leyland being fired would have to be approved by Illitch. I don't see that happening.

I did mean to. Sorry.

I did mean to. Sorry.

Not a big deal, I was just confused.

I'd like to see them do something about Dr. Scherzer and Mr. Max. His issues with consistency are just mind-boggling.

Maybe the big change just happened now.

Not a bad call.

I should note I am not for changes yet. The All-Star Break? Maybe we start talking about it...

Tigers are going to be fine.

VMart will be back later this year, so no move to get a DH.

The hitting will come around and the pitching will be just fine. Just like last year. It is frustrating to watch, but the Tigers will prevail. Too many bats and arms compared to the others in the Central.

The Tigers will need a DH for like 4 more months. Not sure that's a good reason to trade a top prospect!

Firing Jim Leyland is not going to happen. Impatient fans would get rid of half of all their their players and fire three managers a year if they had the power. That is why actual professionals run these franchises. That doesn't mean that other changes might not occur. They may well.

Firing Jim Leyland is not going to happen. I

I don't see that happening either. I think he is one of the most respected managers in the game whether fans like him or not. It would make the Tigers look really bad if they canned him mid-season. If they were ever to fire him, it would happen after a season was over and they'd make it look like it was him retiring.

One of the weird things about the Tigers is that they simultaneously have two relatively strong trade-able pieces but I almost don't see what they would trade for that fit the criteria of:

a) Need

b) Value commensurate with the value of the pieces they could trade

c) A sensible and realistic fit

The way I see it, Castellanos is totally a trade chip at this point. If the org. thinks he can't play 2B and he can't play SS, and he can't play OF, then he's done here. Martinez has two more years, Cabrera has three or four, Fielder has eight. I just don't see him sticking around to see Martinez leave and even if he does, Cabrera will be nearing free agency and I doubt he'd want to move to DH and negatively affect his value as he plays for what likely will be his final contract. It just seems like there's no room in the org. for Castellanos anymore if he can't play another position, so I absolutely view him as a trade chip.

Then there's one of Turner or Scherzer. I tend to see Scherzer as the more likely trade piece because he's both older and closer to free agency. I have MANY problems with the way the Tigers are built, but one thing that I like a lot is that they have good balance in their payroll that certainly facilitates Ilitch's propensity to go big when he wants. Basically having guys like Jackson/Avila/Coke/Scherzer/Porcello on the roster are subsidizing having Cabrera, Verlander, and Fielder on the roster. Many of their REALLY cheap guys are taking their first trip to arbitration next year and they'll probably need some payroll relief. Also, in a rotation that presently features a big money player (Verlander), an Arb-1 guy (Porcello), and three pre-arb guys, the graduation of Scherzer + Fister next year along with Porcello moving up to Arb-2 will make the rotation a more expensive place. With Turner coming up behind him, Scherzer can "be replaced" with relative ease and being older than Porcello is the least likely to improve or have a lengthy run of success. Unless he continues pitching poorly as he has thus far this year, he's also a player with fairly significant value, especially when packaged with a prospect of Castellanos' caliber.

The problem is, I really don't see what the Tigers could trade Scherzer and Castellanos for that they would both likely pull the trigger on and that would be relatively fair for both sides. I don't see that package going for a second baseman of any stripe. Unless you're getting back Robinson Cano, there really just aren't that many 2B that are *that* valuable. Same for a relief pitcher or group of relief pitchers. These are two of the Tigers most glaring holes but in a sense their best trade pieces are more valuable than their team flaws. Perhaps you could deal for a 3.5 star corner outfield bat (think Rondell White or Torii Hunter in their primes, or maybe Hunter Pence today), though I say that from the standpoint of what I actually think that package could net and not necessarily reflecting on the market as it stands. I don't know whiich teams are selling and how they value their own corner outfield bats within their own futures. The expansion of the playoffs also mean fewer teams are sellers.

Also, while I view Scherzer as a trade chip, I don't see him as being part of an in-season trade. Competitive teams don't often deal important pieces of the roster away in the middle of the season, he's the kind of guy more likely to be moved in an off-season deal.

I guess this whole post is only loosely related to the topic at hand and more reflects a running train of thought I've been kicking around in my own head for awhile with regard to how the Tigers can make big improvements.

Edited by DET Mr Malefic

On the radio this morning someone called in and suggested that Gibby's contact is up after this year.

I don't seem to remember too often managers becoming "free agents" while the club they are with being successful. Obviously when a manager is fired he's often picked up by someone else. But how often does a guy just not get resigned and is available for another club to go after?

The only way I could see Leyland getting fired, at any point in time, is if they wanted him to make a change with regard to his coaches and he disagreed.

This team was under .500 last year on May 29.

On the radio this morning someone called in and suggested that Gibby's contact is up after this year.

I don't seem to remember too often managers becoming "free agents" while the club they are with being successful. Obviously when a manager is fired he's often picked up by someone else. But how often does a guy just not get resigned and is available for another club to go after?

Gibby signed a 3 year deal this winter with 2 more option years after that.