RJBBREZ

Red Wings Offseason

I honestly think they try to get the best players they can and if they can get a power forward who is actually good they would.

I think they value talent over size.

Clearly that has been their mindset over the years. They have talked about the need for change more than ever this off-season which makes me optimistic. Talk is cheap tho.

The Kings have re-signed Jarret Stoll & Colin Fraser but have not come to an agreement yet with Dustin Penner. Stoll gets a 3 year deal for $3.75M/year to stay in LA. There's still time to make a deal before July 1st but it appears that Penner will be very much in play if the Wings want him.

The Kings have re-signed Jarret Stoll & Colin Fraser but have not come to an agreement yet with Dustin Penner. Stoll gets a 3 year deal for $3.75M/year to stay in LA. There's still time to make a deal before July 1st but it appears that Penner will be very much in play if the Wings want him.

I gave him more money per year on my "Red Wings offseason" on the capgeek calculator... cmon Stoll!

edit: I hate when you multi-quote in a thread once, and one of the posts gets stuck in every quote you do in that thread then on!

Wings drafted an 18 year old 6'4'' 230 pound defenseman who had 237 PIM in 59 regular season games, then 44 PIM in 8 playoffs games. The next pick was a 6'2'' d-man, and after him came a 6'6''(!!!) Swede that nobody has ever heard of.

Red Wings

Round 2 - RW MARTIN FRK

Round 3 - G JAKE PATERSON

Round 4 - C ANDREAS ATHANASIOU

Round 5 - D MICHAEL MCKEE

Round 6 - D JAMES DE HAAS

Round 7 - LW RASMUS BODIN

The Pens' trades of Staal and Michalek really scare me. They're clearly going to make a push for Suter and probably Parise. That's real competition.

Wings drafted an 18 year old 6'4'' 230 pound defenseman who had 237 PIM in 59 regular season games, then 44 PIM in 8 playoffs games. The next pick was a 6'2'' d-man, and after him came a 6'6''(!!!) Swede that nobody has ever heard of.

What have I been telling you guys (and gals) ?! :ponder:

Sounds a lot like Hudler......

Hudler but he can skate.

There are links over at LGW.com reporting he has agreed to a 2 way contract with Detroit and now they are waiting for July 1st to put pen to paper.

Stephan Roth ‏@9Roth

Swiss free agent Damien Brunner may end up with the Detroit Red Wings. "There are 3 teams in the mix", he said to @blick_eishockey.

Damien Brunner: This year's sought after European Free Agent | Last Word On Sports

Some stats, career highlights, and more info: Eliteprospects.com - Damien Brunner

There are some highlight videos in the first link as well.

Saw a video on YouTube, and he looks pretty damn good. Then again, I said the same thing about Brunnstrom & Leino....Regardless, I still hope we get him, and hopefully we get more production out of him than the two aforementioned.

Reports are out that Phoenix is shopping Keith Yandle. Any team with cap space that is in the market for a blue liner should have an interest. Not many 25 year olds with his skill and pedigree out there.

I'd love for the Wings to go after him, but I don't know if we have anyone appealing enough to offer in return.

I'd love for the Wings to go after him, but I don't know if we have anyone appealing enough to offer in return.

I think you're right. that's the short and long of it. :classic:

To me the most intriguing pick by the Wings was their 4th rounder Andreas Athanasiou of the London Knights. Perhaps one of our resident OHL followers can shed light as to why he dropped from being a projected top-25 pick earlier this year and whether there's any chance that with with the right guidance in the right system he can bounce back.

Everytime I see that this thread has a new post in it I'm nervous clicking on the link because I fear it's going to be someone reporting how Suter or Parise are on the verge of signing with someone else. Have to admit the Pens' trades of Staal and Michalek yesterday frighten me.

To me the most intriguing pick by the Wings was their 4th rounder Andreas Athanasiou of the London Knights. Perhaps one of our resident OHL followers can shed light as to why he dropped from being a projected top-25 pick earlier this year and whether there's any chance that with with the right guidance in the right system he can bounce back.

Very subtle, LS. :grin:

AA is a curious case. Seen alot of him over the past 2 years at the John Labatt Centre.

The Good:

Can skate with the best of this draft, very speedy with a great first step. Gets into high gear very quickly. Has shown flashes of scoring ability, especially at the world level. He was great at the Summer Under 18 tournament for Canada, this was his coming out party. Has big game experience, playing with London who went all the way to the Memorial Cup final this season.

The Bad:

Hockey news described him by saying that he settles for too many jump shots, doesnt goto the net enough to bang in some layups or dunks. I thought this was brilliant. He really seems content to stay outside at the perimeter. His hands can't keep up to his feet at times, and is not great in traffic. Haven't really seen him play with much of an edge. He was a healthy scratch for a handful of games in the playoffs, which was somewhat surprising, although the Knights depth was strong.

He'll have to turn himself into a grinder to stay at the next level. Learn how to kill penalties, start going to the dirty areas. Very raw player with some high end tools.

My feeling is, anytime you can get a potentially high reward pick late in the draft, you might as well take it. If he pans out, great, if not, it's not really a big deal because most consider the draft a crap shoot after the first 10-20 picks anyways.

Colorado didn't make a qualifying offer to Peter Mueller who has had concussion problems over the last 2 years. A lot of potential in the previous 8th overall pick. Good size, born in 1988 and has a lot of talent when healthy. Holland keeps saying the team will look different this year, if the price is right Mueller might be worth the risk.

Peter Mueller (b.1988) hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

Colorado didn't make a qualifying offer to Peter Mueller who has had concussion problems over the last 2 years. A lot of potential in the previous 8th overall pick. Good size, born in 1988 and has a lot of talent when healthy. Holland keeps saying the team will look different this year, if the price is right Mueller might be worth the risk.

Peter Mueller (b.1988) hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

I'd stay away from concussion-prone players. One hit away from the end of a career all the time. I don't think that works for the Wings.

5 Days until the Wings sign Parise and Suter !

I would suspect lesser teams who are looking a little more desperatly to catch a break (ie. Minny, Isles ect) might be more interested. Just a thought.

Shane Doan appears headed for free agency

By Adam Gretz | NHL Blogger

June 26, 2012 7:34 pm ET

As always seems to be the case, there is a lot uncertainty around the Phoenix Coyotes this offseason, and now it appears there is a very real chance they could lose their long-time captain to free agency.

According to Adrian Dater of the Denver Post, Coyotes general manager Don Maloney said that forward Shane Doan will test the free agent market when it opens on July 1.

Depending on the type of deal he's looking for, Doan should be an attractive player for any team that needs a veteran, power forward (and a productive one). Seeing as how just about every team in the league could use such a player, there's little doubt that Doan could be one of the most sought after players on the market.

Doan will turn 36 in October, but he has shown he can still play at a pretty high level, and he's coming off a 2011-12 season with the Coyotes where he scored 22 goals to go with 28 assists in 79 games.

A first-round draft pick, No. 7 overall, by the (original) Winnipeg Jets before they moved to Phoenix back in 1995, Doan has spent his entire career with the organization and has served as the team's captain for the past eight years.

He is the franchise's all-time leader in games played (1,198) and is in the top three in just about every other major category, usually only trailing some combination of Dale Hawerchuk and/or Thomas Steen.

A return to Phoenix isn't out of the question, but you have to think the chances take a pretty big hit when other teams have an opportunity to get into the bidding.

Even at 35, he's still a legitimate top 6 forward on any team in the league. Everyone with cap space should kick the tires on this one but he's going to have many suitors so it's probably going to take at least a 3 year deal to land him.