RJBBREZ

Red Wings Offseason

Epp, I wouldn't be opposed to getting 2 good forwards instead of 1 Parise. I'm not sure Penner and Semin are those two, but something worth considering. I'm not as anti-Semin as I was earlier. Parise is very good, but I'm a little afraid of the hype around him driving the price way beyond his worth. Suter is my #1 wish and I wouldn't mind "overpaying" for him because the Wings are in such need of a youngish, #1 defenseman.

Too bad the Bruins just signed Chris Kelly-C who was headed for UFA. He would have been a solid face-off winner and added toughness between Z and Franzen on the second line.

Dennis Bernstein ‏@DennisTFP

League exec told us last night he expects Preds to deal Suter rights around draft, 'just like they did with Hamhuis, Hartnell and Timonen'

----

Bernstein is from The Fourth Period. If this is true it could mean trouble. Nashville would never trade his rights to the Wings.

Epp, I wouldn't be opposed to getting 2 good forwards instead of 1 Parise. I'm not sure Penner and Semin are those two, but something worth considering. I'm not as anti-Semin as I was earlier. Parise is very good, but I'm a little afraid of the hype around him driving the price way beyond his worth. Suter is my #1 wish and I wouldn't mind "overpaying" for him because the Wings are in such need of a youngish, #1 defenseman.

Suter has got to be the team's #1 wish too, and hopefully by far. Getting Parise too would be great but the longer New Jersey played, my desire to get him grew less for two reasons- 1) His stock rose even more if that's possible being the captian of a team the just went to the Cup & 2) I can't help but not to forget how banged up the Wings were in 2010 (after back to back runs mind you) but Parise was labouring in the finals and he had a bad injury last season as well. That's not to say you don't take a guy because his team made a long run, but that's only one of my own reasons why I went from being advit to getting him, to looking harder at other options.

Penner just came out to say he would really like to stay in L.A. and would look forward to being expected to win there. Sounds like Detroit's situation for the last 20 years so maybe they would be his second choice (if Kenny & Babs are even interested).

It sounds like we may get the royal screw job. All this cap space and we won't land anyone big. Sutter will get traded to someone that isn't us and Parise probably re-signs.

It sounds like we may get the royal screw job. All this cap space and we won't land anyone big. Sutter will get traded to someone that isn't us and Parise probably re-signs.

Only Suter's rights would be traded. That wouldn't necessarily decrease the chances of Suter becoming a free agent on July 1. In fact Poile indicated today he expects Suter to test the free agent market and that his rights are not likely to be traded.

KuklasKorner : The Malik Report : Here comes the Ryan Suter afternoon blow-up as Preds’ GM Poile suggests Suter will test UFA market

Edited by lordstanley

NJ may be taken over by the NHL in a Phoenix Coyotes like takeover of the team. The Devils owner has to pay 77 million to service his debt by August 14th I think it is. I doubt Parise stays in NJ for that carnival.

Am I the only one who hopes the Wings offer Hudler $4mm and that Hudler accepts? Sure, anything over that is overpaying and you could argue that $4mm is as well, but in this bleak free agent marketplace you just don't let a 25-goal scorer walk away if you can help it.

I think Hudler will get more than $4 m/per from another team on the market, just looking at the price teams are paying right now and in the past. He'll probably pull a Leino moving on from Philly though and not live up to the contract.

I think Wings fans are going to be pissed when Quincey signs for what he does.

With Jones off the market via re-singing I am now focusing my attention to Jarrett Stoll as my non Suter/Parise FA signing. Stoll is a forward, has a history of scoring 20 plus goals a season, shoots right-handed and can win face-offs. I'd also re-emphasize looking at Michal Roseval for the blue-line.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

I think Hudler will get more than $4 m/per from another team on the market, just looking at the price teams are paying right now and in the past. He'll probably pull a Leino moving on from Philly though and not live up to the contract.

I think Wings fans are going to be pissed when Quincey signs for what he does.

I agree with you on what both Quincey and Hudler are likely to command.

People need to understand that the salary cap increasing every year doesn't make it any easier to sign players. As fans spend more - on tickets, merchandising, indirectly by watching hockey telecasts leading to ad sales - the revenue gets passed on to players via inflated salaries.

With Jones off the market via re-singing I am now focusing my attention to Jarrett Stoll as my non Suter/Parise FA signing. Stoll is a forward, has a history of scoring 20 plus goals a season, shoots right-handed and can win face-offs. I'd also re-emphasize looking at Michal Roseval for the blue-line.

I agree on Stoll, I like that he can play the penalty kill (taking draws too) and can fill in on a power play and not look completely out of place. But saying he has a history of scoring 20 plus goals a season is a bit much, he's only done it twice! But the Wings hopefully will add a scorer so a signing like Stoll will add to the depth and special teams, which will be perfect.

As for that winger, I'm warming a lot to Semin... call me crazy.

Am I the only one who hopes the Wings offer Hudler $4mm and that Hudler accepts? Sure, anything over that is overpaying and you could argue that $4mm is as well, but in this bleak free agent marketplace you just don't let a 25-goal scorer walk away if you can help it.

I understand that the grass is not always greener on the other side theory, but Hudler's 20-25 goal "capability" does not out way his perimeter playing- never winning a race to the puck- or a battle in any part of the ice, style of play. Maybe on another team with more physical strength on their top lines he may be a better fit. It would have to be less than 4 million to make me happy and it must complement other moves up front or I just don't see him helping this team.

Yes goals are goals, but to me, his are the kind that are not very important (if you get what I mean).

As other big name players start to possibly move this week around the draft (Nash, Luongo ect.) there should be some players that could be had for a reasonably good price (trade-wise) that are too expensive for the team to hold onto. Too bad a guy like Brandon Dubinsky didn't shoot right, he's under contract for 3 more years and rumors are floating that the Rangers are shopping him. A young player with good size, who has a mean streak and can score some goals.

At the end of the regular season the chances of Stoll and Penner being resigned by Kings were about the same as LA's of hoisting Lord Stanley's Cup. Everything has changed now and the team would like to bring back both. The players like it here and the Kings have plenty of cap space so it's probably going to take a sizeable overpay for anyone to sign either away from the champs.

At the end of the regular season the chances of Stoll and Penner being resigned by Kings were about the same as LA's of hoisting Lord Stanley's Cup. Everything has changed now and the team would like to bring back both. The players like it here and the Kings have plenty of cap space so it's probably going to take a sizeable overpay for anyone to sign either away from the champs.

That's why I stopped even mentioning Stoll. After his play-off performance I think he will get way over paid to leave the Kings or just work out a deal to stay. I had both him and Penner in mind but Penner would have a better chance of leaving and he fits the Wings need more.

I haven't seen the actual "news", but Detroit Sports Nation posted on facebook that word is Valtteri Filppula is being groomed as the next-next captain (after Zetterberg)...thoughts? Filppula doesn't seem like the kind of "leader" that this team has had lately, to me. However, maybe he is and has just been overshadowed by the likes of Yzerman, Lidstrom, Zetterberg and Datsyuk. I don't think there will ever be true leaders or captains again like Yzerman and Lidstrom were, but Filppula doesn't strike me as being anywhere close to being a guy who could rally a team together and lead by example. Obviously we wouldn't have to worry about this for a good while and there's room for improvement, I just think it's an interesting story right now.

There's not a whole lot of other options to really "groom" to be the captain after Hank at this point, so Filppula makes sense as he's younger, came up with the Wings, and works fairly hard at all times in my opinion.

I haven't seen the actual "news", but Detroit Sports Nation posted on facebook that word is Valtteri Filppula is being groomed as the next-next captain (after Zetterberg)...thoughts? Filppula doesn't seem like the kind of "leader" that this team has had lately, to me. However, maybe he is and has just been overshadowed by the likes of Yzerman, Lidstrom, Zetterberg and Datsyuk. I don't think there will ever be true leaders or captains again like Yzerman and Lidstrom were, but Filppula doesn't strike me as being anywhere close to being a guy who could rally a team together and lead by example. Obviously we wouldn't have to worry about this for a good while and there's room for improvement, I just think it's an interesting story right now.

The next captain will be captain around 2017 or 2018. So, I think its safe to say he'll be more ready then or other players will be around to do it.

Grooming a next-next captain, if true, sounds goofy, but I could see Helm over Filppula. But after Zetterberg it will be Suter.