RJBBREZ

Red Wings Offseason

Howson is a bigger idiot than George Costanza, the self-described Lord Of The Idiots.

I don't want Holland roped into poor long-term deals either such as Doan's reported terms. His restraint on that is fine. I also think the Franzen contract was fine or better. I would like Holland to plug gaps for the coming year with 1 or 2 year terms, even if it means "overpaying" on a strict per annum basis. A contract to Semin would have no more tied the Wings' hands vis a vis the salary cap than the contracts of Bertuzzi or Samuelsson.

I still don't see how Fanzen is a bad contract. He makes less per year than Jiri Hudler.

EDIT: That Franzen comment just boggles my mind. You tout the virtue of Hurdler and his 20 goals then discount Franzen and his near 30, for less. Hudler's production over he past few years doesn't look all that different than Samuelsson, and he's 1 million dollars cheaper.

I don't like the Franzen deal because they are paying a lazy underachieving player for twelve years when they could have signed Hossa instead who is a much better scorer and defensive player. For someone who got a 12 year deal, Franzen doesn't produce enough. Hank and Pavel deserve deals like that because they are dynamic players who affect the game at both ends of the ice and are world class players. Franzen does not fall into that category nor is he close.

And I am not touting Hudler at all as he frustrated me as much as Franzen does. Decent regular season player who gets manhandled in the playoffs. Samuelsson is an upgrade over Hudler since he can play the point on the PP and doesn't get beaten off the puck like Hudler does. However, I don't think he is going to pump in twenty goals which is why I am more upset about Holland seemingly sitting back right now because this team needs more help desperately on both ends of the ice.

I don't like the Franzen deal because they are paying a lazy underachieving player for twelve years when they could have signed Hossa instead who is a much better scorer and defensive player. For someone who got a 12 year deal, Franzen doesn't produce enough. Hank and Pavel deserve deals like that because they are dynamic players who affect the game at both ends of the ice and are world class players. Franzen does not fall into that category nor is he close.

And I am not touting Hudler at all as he frustrated me as much as Franzen does. Decent regular season player who gets manhandled in the playoffs. Samuelsson is an upgrade over Hudler since he can play the point on the PP and doesn't get beaten off the puck like Hudler does. However, I don't think he is going to pump in twenty goals which is why I am more upset about Holland seemingly sitting back right now because this team needs more help desperately on both ends of the ice.

I don't think they could have signed Hossa for a cap hit under 4 million so there was never a chance of signing Hossa long term back then, that was strictly a one year thing.

I don't think they could have signed Hossa for a cap hit under 4 million so there was never a chance of signing Hossa long term back then, that was strictly a one year thing.

Right, that's why I don't think the Franzen deal was bad at all. Not even in hindsight. Hossa would have cost more and there were many Wings fans who would have taken Franzen over Hossa straight up in the summer of '09 - Franzen was perceived as being a better playoff performer, a pure goal scorer, and on a positive career trajectory. I still don't have a problem with the Franzen contract even today- he's a convenient whipping boy who might underperform a little bit with respect to his talent level but by nowhere near as much as his critics charge.

As the team stands right now I would compare it this way to last season;

Forwards- Basically replaced Hudler with a guy who will put up very similar numbers yet is 4 inches taller and 35lbs heavier, plus can play on any of the top 3 lines. They added an adjetator in Tootoo who should add energy and toughness to the bottom lines. Brunner is a wild card, almost a bonus if he pans out. A full season for Nyquist who can be mixed on any line, and hopefully a more healthly Cleary. Upfront- even without the addition of a true top 6 forward (yet..)-- the forwards should be deeper and tougher to play against this year.

Goaltending- It may be hard for Howard to repeat his first half of last season if the Red Wings do not add any more defenseman. Having said that, I think he is under-valued among many around hockey having the reputation of being just good enough on a good team. The Monster is another wild card but should be a solid back-up either way.

Defense- As of right now this looks like a mess. To me there is obviosuly no #1 defeseman and probably no #2 either. Smith is the wild card with Kronwall probably being the strongest defenceman. White, Ericcson and Quincey are all solid 4/5 type defencemen and Kindal might be a #6 on a team with bad defense. Maybe some extra playing time could help Kindal's confidence but he has no trust in himself.

Overall right now- if they could add another "top" defencemen, I think once again they will suprise people when everyone is ready to write them off once again. Lidstrom being retired will hurt the PP a lot. If the Red Wings can still somehow add another scoring forward, this team would still be in pretty good shape and have a quite the different look to it this year.

I say a full season of Nyquist would be nice but I would imagine his name is involved in every trade discussion.

By the way, for people who want to play the kids, other than Nyquist, Smith and maybe Tatar- none of the kids are ready. Even if the Red Wings signed Parise and Suter I believe they would have found room in the line-up for Nyquist and Smith this season.

There is a nice wave coming but they wont be ready to start cracking the surface until the start of 2013 and then 2014. Forward depth in the minors is this teams position of strength so don't be dissapointed when some are traded away. There are only so many more years of having a couple Super Star forwards in Datsyuk and Zetterberg. After that nothing is guranteed (draft picks, free-agents coming, enough value to trade).

Michal Rozsival, Brett Clark and Carlo Colaiacovo are potential options to add to the Wings' blueline, but they somewhat struggled last season with their respective clubs.

Holland could also choose to make a trade to acquire the boost he needs on the back end if none of the remaining free agents are worth the risk.

It's believed Calgary's Jay Bouwmeester, Phoenix's Keith Yandle, Columbus' Fedor Tyutin, Ottawa's Sergei Gonchar and Toronto's Cody Franson are all still on the market.

Michal Rosival hasn't signed yet. Come on Holland, why not offer a quality, legit second liner like Rosival a deal?

Yeah, what's up with that, it has seemed like a logical move to make.

I'll be beyond angry if they screw around and end up locking out the players. The NHL just started getting fans back, wonder what will happen with another lockout

The Blackhawks got Michal Rosival on a one deal...F U Ken Holland, why yo sign Rosival?

And just as sickening as the short one-year term is the pricetag ...$2mm! WTH is going on, is Kenny's brain locked out from his head?

I think Holland is biding his time until 2013 now.

The 2012 season might end up being shortened, and the cap space most likely will still be there by 2013. The FAs available at 2013 aren't bad either. I think they go to a reliable well, and raid the Ducks next year of Getzlaf and Corey Perry.

Well the defense looks to be set as the Wings signed Carlo Colaiacovo to a 2 year 5 million deal.

My prespective on the defense is while there are no studs, at least they are deep. Kronwall might be a number 2 on a good team, but probably more of a 3. Colaiacovo could be a 3 but more of a 4. Quincey, White and Ericsson are proven 4-5 types. Smith is the wild card rookie who will shine at times.

One of the biggest problems with this group will be who plays the point on the power play. Smith, Colaiacovo, White, Kronwall, Quincey and Samuelsson will get opportunities at different times. Last year right away there was a big difference in going from Rafalski to White. Now going from Lidstrom to who ever, is going to look much different.

Have to assume Kronwall and Sammy are running the point on the PP for now. I like getting Coliacovo as it does add more depth to the defense which they desperately need. It's not the best signing but it is better than what they had done thus far so I'm fine with it. Not a big cap hit either which is fine.

My prespective on the defense is while there are no studs, at least they are deep. Kronwall might be a number 2 on a good team, but probably more of a 3. Colaiacovo could be a 3 but more of a 4. Quincey, White and Ericsson are proven 4-5 types. Smith is the wild card rookie who will shine at times.

I'm not sure I'd rank Cola ahead of Quincey and White. Maybe if he can stay healthy. I do like the signing though. I think they still need one more defenseman to be deep. A number 4/5 for around same salary as Cola. That's why I would have liked Roscival as well.

Dats scores with his head, but it gets waived off because contact was made over the crossbar.

Still awesome though...