RJBBREZ

Red Wings Offseason

What a dismal return after the months of hype and waiting. Either what the Wings offered wasn't really a "helluva good" package or else the BJ's decided that not dealing with the Wings is more important than making one's team better. If the latter, no wonder Columbus is the worst franchise in the NHL.

The Blue Jackets didn't want to trade with Detroit, why else would they not even respond. The rumors are that the Wings offered more than NYR.

Howson is the worst GM in sports and a huge idiot.

Really disappointed thus far in the offseason. I'm beginning to lose faith in Holland to bring in the big name players. Now there is plenty of time to make a trade or sign someone but I don't feel that great about the team as it stands right now.

If the CBJ were offered more by the Wings then I agree with you 100%. It has been a pretty bleak offseason for the Wings this year. However, this team can improve itself big time during the season and at the deadline. Suter and Parise better? May be not, but they are by not reason the dead wings again.

If the CBJ were offered more by the Wings then I agree with you 100%. It has been a pretty bleak offseason for the Wings this year. However, this team can improve itself big time during the season and at the deadline. Suter and Parise better? May be not, but they are by not reason the dead wings again.

We're going to make the playoffs again this year, I'll put myself on the line and guarantee it. Problem is, I can't see us getting past the first or second round right now, and our best players are getting to the point where we're not going to be able to count on them to carry us like we did in the past, not to mention our defense is a mess.

I'll go on record right now saying the Wings will go to the second round at a minimum this year. Bookmark this and call me an idiot later everyone.

I'll go on record right now saying the Wings will go to the second round at a minimum this year. Bookmark this and call me an idiot later everyone.

I won't join you until I see what we end up with to start the season. As of right now, I say no worse than making the playoffs & getting bumped first round. As I've said all along, I'm most worried about our defense. We sign or trade for one or two more decent defensemen, then I'm right there with you.

I think the roster right now can go to the second round at a minimum. The defense is rough, but I think with the right system play that aspect can be minimized. I also don't think this roster is anywhere close to being finished, it might take trades mid-season, but it'll change. I just have a lot of faith in the Wings' core and the young infusion that is coming. I'm excited about Smith and Nyquist. Also... a healthy Helm in the playoffs does wonders.

Really disappointed thus far in the offseason. I'm beginning to lose faith in Holland to bring in the big name players. Now there is plenty of time to make a trade or sign someone but I don't feel that great about the team as it stands right now.

He tried to get Suter. But Suter wanted to play with his buddy Parise and he wanted to play close to home - Holland offered him the right money - what is he supposed to do? He made an offer for Nash but Columbus didn't want to face him with the Wings 7 times a year. What is Holland supposed to do about that? He's trying, but he just can't just snap his fingers and make it so.

He tried to get Suter. But Suter wanted to play with his buddy Parise and he wanted to play close to home - Holland offered him the right money - what is he supposed to do? He made an offer for Nash but Columbus didn't want to face him with the Wings 7 times a year. What is Holland supposed to do about that? He's trying, but he just can't just snap his fingers and make it so.

Holland gets an A for effort. Eventually this 20+ year run the Wings have been on has to wane a bit -- we really have been spoiled by this.

He tried to get Suter. But Suter wanted to play with his buddy Parise and he wanted to play close to home -

Suter was on the fence. Otherwise he and Parise would have announced Minnesota on July 1. Parise did a better job of persuading Suter to play in Minnesota than Holland id in persuading Suter to play in Detroit.

I'm still excited about the season. Because we really don't know what to expect. The defense is mediocre but if it means a renewed commitment to defensive play by the forwards and Howard comes up big, that can be partially offset. Up front, we need Cleary and Eaves to bounce back and Nyquist to step forward. And Kenny just needs to be opportunistic - players can unexpectedly become unavailable from other teams between now and October and then again in February. No team in the West has really bettered themselves this offseason (I still dismiss Minnesota as being largely irrelevant).

Suter's wife also probably had something to do with it.

If Suter and Parise were indeed talking about this kind of thing during the season, as rumored, I don't think it was a matter of Holland not being able to persuade Suter since Suter knew that Parise wasn't going to Detroit (if the reported offer to Parise is true). I'd imagine his "on the fence" move was to see if Parise went back to New Jersey, and if not, they were going somewhere together.

Nashville matches Philly's offer sheet, Nashville retains Weber.

That makes me feel a bit better. Sure, I don't like that he's still in our division, but I would have felt worse if a team other than the Wings had managed to pry him away.

KuklasKorner : KK Hockey : Weber Staying In Nashville

I think this is why Holland is so much smarter than the average GM and any poster here. There was almost no chance that Nashville wouldn't match, and now they can't move Weber until next year at the earliest, no matter what you offer. The only chance of getting Weber was a trade and that's what Holland was pursuing.

Nashville matches Philly's offer sheet, Nashville retains Weber.

That makes me feel a bit better. Sure, I don't like that he's still in our division, but I would have felt worse if a team other than the Wings had managed to pry him away.

KuklasKorner : KK Hockey : Weber Staying In Nashville

I am not happy about that. Without him Nashville was one less competitive opponent in the West. If he wasn't coming here, then go to the East.

He did try which we all expected him to do but he has come up empty for awhile now on things like this. He screwed up the Hossa/Franzen decision, hasn't added anyone of merit the last couple of years and seems to not be able to pull the trigger on trades. They still have a solid team which I expect to make the playoffs. We have been spoiled by the prolonged success of this team but just like the big teams in other sports, I expect the Wings to be able to make the team better and thus far this offseason has been a tremendous bust. As I said earlier, there is still time to make a trade or sign another player or two but going into the season with the team as is worries me.

I think this is why Holland is so much smarter than the average GM and any poster here. There was almost no chance that Nashville wouldn't match, and now they can't move Weber until next year at the earliest, no matter what you offer. The only chance of getting Weber was a trade and that's what Holland was pursuing.

It's a given that Holland is somewhere between 1,000x and 1,000,000x smarter than me. But I'm not sure if the Weber case proves anything. Nashville might have been just stringing Holland along knowing that they couldn't just flat-out shut the door on him like Columbus' Howson did, lest the Wings feel forced into submitting an offer sheet. Poile might be more pragmatic than Howson, but otherwise would have been no more inclined than Howson to actually make a trade with the Wings, given that they're true rivals at the same level now (unlike Columbus for the foreseeable future) and that the Wings had just gone hard after Suter. It's not unreasonable to estimate that the Preds were, say, 80% likely to match any offer sheet of the Wings but 90% unlikely to make a trade with the Wings. Holland had to have known that the more trade talks with Nashville dragged on the more likely another team would swoop in and nuke the process, just as the Flyers did.

He did try which we all expected him to do but he has come up empty for awhile now on things like this. He screwed up the Hossa/Franzen decision, hasn't added anyone of merit the last couple of years and seems to not be able to pull the trigger on trades. They still have a solid team which I expect to make the playoffs. We have been spoiled by the prolonged success of this team but just like the big teams in other sports, I expect the Wings to be able to make the team better and thus far this offseason has been a tremendous bust.

Right, and you dont need to be a Holland hater to say that. I really like Holland and because of the franchise's track record and reputation for class he gets cut some slack. Just as Zetterberg did when off to a poor start this year. But even Holland would admit privately I'm sure that this offseason has not been his finest hour.

It's a given that Holland is somewhere between 1,000x and 1,000,000x smarter than me. But I'm not sure if the Weber case proves anything. Nashville might have been just stringing Holland along knowing that they couldn't just flat-out shut the door on him like Columbus' Howson did, lest the Wings feel forced into submitting an offer sheet. Poile might be more pragmatic than Howson, but otherwise would have been no more inclined than Howson to actually make a trade with the Wings, given that they're true rivals at the same level now (unlike Columbus for the foreseeable future) and that the Wings had just gone hard after Suter. It's not unreasonable to estimate that the Preds were, say, 80% likely to match any offer sheet of the Wings but 90% unlikely to make a trade with the Wings. Holland had to have known that the more trade talks with Nashville dragged on the more likely another team would swoop in and nuke the process, just as the Flyers did.

I think there was a 0% chance of a legal offer not getting matched. So even if there is only a 10% chance of completing a trade, that's infinitely better chances than the offer sheet route.

Howson is stupid. And a bad GM. An intelligent GM makes a trade that improves their team the most regardless of what division their trade partner resides.

Basically I think Philly knew they had no chance of agreeing on a trade so they threw out the offer sheet knowing they had nothing to lose.

I don't think any one was complaining when Holland chose Franzen over Hossa. Hossa was pretty much invisible in the playoffs that year and was battling an injury. Franzen was a homegrown talent (always a big thing with the Ilitches) and was a proven playoff performer. I don't think we've heard the last of Johan and I feel like he's the key to the Wings success this season.

I feel better knowing that even had we made an offer to Weber, it likely would've been matched anyway. I don't blame the BJ's for not dealing Nash to the Wings. It'd be like trading Calvin Johson to the Bears or the Packers or Justin Verlander to the Yankees or the Twins.

Not thrilled with what has transpired this summer thus far, but there's plenty of offseason to go and as much as I want him to make a move, sometimes the best move you make is not making one.

The Blue Jackets didn't want to trade with Detroit, why else would they not even respond. The rumors are that the Wings offered more than NYR.

Why is Howson the worst and a huge idiot? because Howson and the CBJ didn't do what the Wings fan base thought he should? Frankly I don't have a problem with the outcome on that deal. The whole thing was smoke and mirrors at best. And I have to question, as others here have suggested or expressed, what Holland is doing lately.

Why is Howson the worst and a huge idiot? because Howson and the CBJ didn't do what the Wings fan base thought he should? Frankly I don't have a problem with the outcome on that deal. The whole thing was smoke and mirrors at best. And I have to question, as others here have suggested or expressed, what Holland is doing lately.

Does someone honestly have to explain what makes Howson a bad GM? Have you paid attention to ANYTHING he's done as their GM?

most of the other GMs came up empty too.

BUT HOLLAND IS THE WORST!

Does someone honestly have to explain what makes Howson a bad GM? Have you paid attention to ANYTHING he's done as their GM?

BUT HOLLAND IS THE WORST!

No I don't make it my practice to pay attention to Howson, what he does, or his motives for doing so.

I didn't say that you did. But having said that, I'll just say I do pay more attention to Holland and what he's doing or not doing as GM. Don't think that anyone can argue the last couple years have been bright in terms of Holland.

No I don't make it my practice to pay attention to Howson, what he does, or his motives for doing so.

I didn't say that you did. But having said that, I'll just say I do pay more attention to Holland and what he's doing or not doing as GM. Don't think that anyone can argue the last couple years have been bright in terms of Holland.

Anisimov & Dubinsky haven't lived up to what they were expected to do on a good Rangers team. Do you think they're going to do any better on a bad Blue Jackets team? If the rumors are true about us making a better offer & Howson not taking the deal simply because he'd trade Nash within the division, then that qualifies as a bad move. If your star player isn't happy, you take the best offer for him in hopes of building your team up, regardless of where the offer comes from. When you don't do that, you end up like the Columbus Blue Jackets....a perennial bad hockey team.