RJBBREZ

Red Wings Offseason

something that they'd "wait" on Doan's decision. NO MORE WAITING ON SPECIFIC FREE AGENTS.

Right, go down parallel paths. By instead acting sequentially, you get into bidding wars with other teams for each player. I can't fault Holland for losing out on any one player. The chance of getting one specific player is never high. But say there are 8 names this offseason that could have a positive impact on the Wings: Suter, Parise, Garrison, Carle, Semin, Doan, Weber, Nash. 6 UFAs, 1 RFA, 1 tradebait. If you don't get any, you're 0 for 8. That's not a good result. I was never greedy, like setting the bar as at least 3 of 8 or bust. 2 of 8 is what I expected. Maybe 1 of 8. But 0?!

Well they were talking to Weber's agent, who told him that they were choosing Philadelphia.

Why not offer Weber a term sheet before he even asked, while he was doing his "tour". You shouldn't need permission from a guy to throw money at him.

Why not offer Weber a term sheet before he even asked, while he was doing his "tour". You shouldn't need permission from a guy to throw money at him.

The sense I got was Weber just went and looked at Detroit on his own, I'm not sure if the Wings even knew he was in town. I'm thinking it went something like Holland called the agent to see where Weber was at in the whole situation (right after Suter left the Predators said they were going to work on Weber's contract ASAP) and was told that Weber was exploring his options or already had decided. Who knows if there was time to even submit an offer to Weber before he had decided he'd want to go to Philadelphia.

Based on the rumors from the offseason, it was obvious that Philadelphia wanted to spend a ton of cash, and with losing Carle and Pronger being done they obviously needed a d-man. He could have just decided, alright I would like playing in Philly, tells Detroit/NYR/whoever else that. And then goes to Philadelphia to work on an offer sheet with them. This would mean that the Wings never got a chance to even conceive a potential offer. Also, it would mean that it wasn't like the Wings were less proactive than the Flyers (who could have just contacted Weber about his interest) since the offer wouldn't be drawn up until after Weber decided on his potential team/city. Although these are very specific circumstances haha.

Right, go down parallel paths. By instead acting sequentially, you get into bidding wars with other teams for each player. I can't fault Holland for losing out on any one player. The chance of getting one specific player is never high. But say there are 8 names this offseason that could have a positive impact on the Wings: Suter, Parise, Garrison, Carle, Semin, Doan, Weber, Nash. 6 UFAs, 1 RFA, 1 tradebait. If you don't get any, you're 0 for 8. That's not a good result. I was never greedy, like setting the bar as at least 3 of 8 or bust. 2 of 8 is what I expected. Maybe 1 of 8. But 0?!

Agreed. But I'm not mad about Suter, Parise, Garrison (lots of years for him). I don't think Carle's contract with Carle (edit: apparently I thought Carle signed with himself... good mistype Alex!) was ridiculous, but from all appearances he did seem to like his short time in TB before so maybe there were other considerations there. There is still Semin!

I'm still hoping that Holland is going to pull off a trade for someone that isn't a name thrown around everywhere (Yandle/Nash/Ryan/etc.).

Edited by drownwithyou

The sense I got was Weber just went and looked at Detroit on his own, I'm not sure if the Wings even knew he was in town.

Damn, that is who Kate Upton should have been spending a Detroit weekend with.

Probably a safe bet to make.

Part me also wants Weber to hate the Philadelphia media and then be stuck there for 12 years.

There's been talk of Bobby Ryan's availability in a trade, but Detroit's never been included in that talk (at least I haven't heard that). Why not? Nash isn't happening. Not a fan of Semin. I think Ryan would be an awesome addition.

Hell, maybe we need to bring Mike Commodore back even. The d-men make me nervous enough even if they're all healthy. Who steps in if one or two get hurt, as invariably happens during the course of the year?!

Hell, maybe we need to bring Mike Commodore back even. The d-men make me nervous enough even if they're all healthy. Who steps in if one or two get hurt, as invariably happens during the course of the year?!

Brian Lashoff!

yaynay.gif

Brian Campbell would be a decent 3rd pairing guy, provides veteran leadership. Colaiacovo is the only 2nd pairing guy left.

I would be surprised for the Redwings to sign a D-man before the Cap number is established. As players may come available if the number is lowered.

I can't believe Holland hasn't gone after Michal Rosival more actively, seems like a god fit for the blueline here.

Rosival did play somewhat tough for the dogs during the playoffs, but I'm afraid an injury, possibly a career ending injury, would sideline him during the regular season. He's well into his 30s isn't he and has been somewhat injury prone throughout his career? I'm not confident he would last a full year if he was tasked with what the Red Wings need on the back end.

Rosival did play somewhat tough for the dogs during the playoffs, but I'm afraid an injury, possibly a career ending injury, would sideline him during the regular season. He's well into his 30s isn't he and has been somewhat injury prone throughout his career? I'm not confident he would last a full year if he was tasked with what the Red Wings need on the back end.

He played 50-some games last year, and played during the playoffs up until that knee to knee hit from Dustin Brown, which resulted in no serious damage done to his knee. He played 60-some games the year before that, and barely missed any time in his stay with the Rangers. Most recently, the time he did miss was due to getting hit in the face with a puck. Hardly something that I would consider warrants labeling him as injury prone. He's 33, so I wouldn't say he's well into his 30's but at the same time, it's not like he's a spring chicken either.

I wouldn't be upset if we signed him. Is he going to be a long term solution? Doubtful, but from how our defense is looking right now, we definitely need some help.

Considering there won't be an NHL season he should take the Russian offer.

Have to admit, given the extraordinary money thrown out there and the craziness displayed (which is really nothing unusual given professional sports today) particularly whats happened the the last 3 week during the frenzied FA nightmare, I've come around to this thinking as stated above. At this point, a CBA nightmare maybe a good thing. So fed up with the whole thing. Wouldn't travel the distance to see a game at any venue or have a beer in their house if they paid me, nor should anyone else.

What a dismal return after the months of hype and waiting. Either what the Wings offered wasn't really a "helluva good" package or else the BJ's decided that not dealing with the Wings is more important than making one's team better. If the latter, no wonder Columbus is the worst franchise in the NHL.

What a dismal return after the months of hype and waiting. Either what the Wings offered wasn't really a "helluva good" package or else the BJ's decided that not dealing with the Wings is more important than making one's team better. If the latter, no wonder Columbus is the worst franchise in the NHL.

I can't imagine trading the only star the franchise ever had to Detroit would sit well with an already-angry fanbase. I don't think Detroit had a realistic chance. Bobby Ryan is still available - but the Wings should make a fair offer and if Anaheim asks for too much, then don't do it.

For all the worrying and complaining this offseason - the Wings still have a pretty good team - one that is capable of making the playoffs. They just have to probably change their defensive philosophy quite a bit and they really need The Mule to get his edge back. Wouldn't hurt to get a scorer if they could - and I guess Ryan and Semin are the two out there and the Wings could get both of them. Getting both of them would give them some trade flexibility for Yandle or another young D-man.