RJBBREZ

Red Wings Offseason

If they were to sign Semin he will need to almost cut his salary in half. Currently he is making 6.7 (although I am not sure on the cap hit) and he is probably worth closer to a 4 million player. His numbers lately are closer to a secondary forward and his defensive game and competitiveness lack. He does has potential to break out though and I'm sure there will be weaker teams that pay to take that chance.

Dollar to donuts he's in South Florida next season.

Will him and Lebron be able to co-exist? I also feel Kane really needs to work on his outlet pass before he plays with those big boys.

Hope this link works, but I thought this was a cool clip...Not sure what context it was made in...

Lidstrom-Holland press conference announced for 11am Thursday.

Red Wings schedule press conference for tomorrow at 11 a.m. - Detroit Red Wings - Press Release

I wasn't too stressed about this because I thought I recalled him doing the same thing last year, until I headed over to LGW and saw someone point out that last year's was a CONFERENCE CALL.

Edited by lordstanley

Lidstrom-Holland press conference announced for 11am Thursday.

Red Wings schedule press conference for tomorrow at 11 a.m. - Detroit Red Wings - Press Release

I wasn't too stressed about this because I thought I recalled him doing the same thing last year, until I headed over to LGW and saw someone point out that last year's was a CONFERENCE CALL.

My buddy emailed me a tweet around noon from a Swedish news outlet that said Lidstrom was retiring. We didn't put much stock in it because no major news outlet here picked it up. Then the Wings called the press conference a couple hours later.

This sucks, but everyone knew it was coming. I wish he was going to be playing in that game at the Big House, but i can't blame him.

drownwithyou is right. Wings have to make big moves now in this offseason with as much cap space as the Wings will have.

So, will Zetterberg be the new captain? Datsyuk? Or could you see a guy like Suter or Parise if they come to Detroit take over as captain even though they haven't played a game wearing the Winged Wheel.

Edited by hail2mich

Hopefully Lidstrom plays in the alumni game :dead: It hurt to type that

I'd put a lot of money on Zetterberg being the next captain.

Sad to see Nick go. But, it was eventually going to happen and I'm glad he is at peace with it. Needless to say, Suter will become a rich man this offseason.

Sad to see Nick go but after 20 years and 4 cups, he has nothing else to prove. Good luck to him.

Well good to hear Kenny plans to be aggressive. Aside from the top Free-Agents, I would not mind seeing some new faces on the 4th line if it's possible to upgrade. Miller, Eaves, Abby or Mursak could all go for a new demension replacement. They could also use a right hand shot somewhere in their top 9 forwards.

On defense right now you have; Kronwall, Ericsson, White, Quincy, Smith and Kindal. The addition of Suter, as well as Smith for a full season, could give them a deep core with some youth.

Ken Holland on The Huge Show: Red Wings will be 'aggressive' in free agency | MLive.com

He'll need to be aggressive. In the extreme case of him doing nothing at all, the Wings' loss of Lidstrom, Stuart and Hudler means they're more likely than not out of the playoffs next season. Suter would get them into the playoffs but they'd need a couple of significant moves beyond that to be Cup contenders.

He'll need to be aggressive. In the extreme case of him doing nothing at all, the Wings' loss of Lidstrom, Stuart and Hudler means they're more likely than not out of the playoffs next season. Suter would get them into the playoffs but they'd need a couple of significant moves beyond that to be Cup contenders.

What, really? I don't think it's that bleak

At the rate the Wings were playing during their last 25 games of this past season, if the season had been any longer in my estimation would not have made the playoffs WITH the guys you mention. So yes significant changes will have to be made. A tweak here and a tweak there isn't going to get it.

What, really? I don't think it's that bleak

yes, its that bleak. The Wings will need at least a couple top six players, a D and a fwd, a DECENT/reliable back up goalie, and at minimum 2-3 good, young, big strong players to beef up their 3rd and 4th lines. In that mix they will need a GOOD face-off guy and someone that can stay in front of the net and score goals on the PP. All that is at a minimum.

So you're telling me, since the Wings lost Lidstrom and Stuart, despite being 1st overall in the NHL for awhile and finished 8th overall, that unless they completely overhaul the team they're done? They played poorly because they were missing more than just Lidstrom. Sometimes good teams play poorly.

I agree they need some changes, big ones even, but come on.

The Wings were also 6th in the NHL in goals allowed, with not a lot of defensive depth, and they scored the 7th most goals. They have a lot of scoring depth.