IdahoBert

Mariano strains right knee while shagging flies

That's good news for Mariano, the Yankees and baseball in general that it appears to not be too serious, but it's bad news for my fantasy team since I picked up Robertson shortly after it happened cause I thought it was going to be a torn ACL or something by how bad it looked. Talk about a freak occurrence though.

yeah that's probably it for #42. A sad way to go out because you can't help but wonder what-if all year as a Yankee fan if they don't win it all, but what a career. Sorry, Sue!

He killed us like many other teams. What a way to end your career by shagging fly balls. Great pitcher even if NY was on his cap. After watching the video that really sucks for him.

Name another player that dominated his position for as long as Mariano did. He boggles my mind. Hate to see him go this way.

I believe the guy that hit the ball was just called up from the minors. Obviously it wasn't his fault and it was just a fluke occurrence but I'm sure he doesn't feel that way, hopefully Yankee fans aren't a-holes and boo him when he comes to bat.

One of the few opposing players that I could never bring myself to dislike.

Now, A-Rod on the other hand......

All this love for a Yank? Bleh....It makes it a little easier to not hate him only because we have owned them lately. I do not like to see anyone get hurt though..

I believe the guy that hit the ball was just called up from the minors. Obviously it wasn't his fault and it was just a fluke occurrence but I'm sure he doesn't feel that way, hopefully Yankee fans aren't a-holes and boo him when he comes to bat.

People in the Yankees forums have equated Nix to Bartman of NY. Horrible. Hopefully they don't boo him, but they will.

Yankees will be fine. They were probably going to be without him after this year anyway.

Just means Robertson will have to step up sooner than expected.

They'd be hurtin' a lot more if they lost an every day position player like Cano or Granderson.

Edited by Antrat

I feel bad for Riveria that his season and likely his career will end this way.

However I have no sympathy for the Yankees -- when it comes to them its schadenfreude all the way.

I'm not counting Mo out, because he's wafted back and forth on whether or not he's done playing the last few years. He's got this bulldog mentality, I wouldn't be shocked if he's back next year. That said, he's 42. He's not the pitcher he was 10 years ago, let alone 2 years ago. I hate to see his career end this way, and maybe it won't, but age is certainly starting to take games away from him.

I am not a Yankee fan...

However, I never like to see any player injured, on any team...

Except maybe the Red Sox...only kidding...

MoRiv has always been a great type of player, doesn't show off, doesn't go off, just does his job, and does it well.

Last night during his interview he didn't seem like giving up, but then you could tell he understood he probably wouldn't. I bet that he will have the surgery and try to make a come back. But i'd say he's got only a 25% chance of making it back now.

Yankee or not, my heart dropped into my stomach when I heard about this.

Mariano is just flat amazing. You could rack up 40 saves for 15 straight seasons - and still not have matched his total.

What a way to end your career by shagging fly balls.

I hadn't thought of this until I saw it mentioned elsewhere on the web, but isn't that basically how Mark Fidrych hurt himself in ST of '77?