Deleterious

2012 Pistons Offseason

I understand your points, but I feel that this team needs to show something. And by "this team" I mean Joe and Gores. They need to show that they're trying to go the extra mile to make a positive change and correct the errors of the past. That doesn't mean sitting around and accepting the status quo.

It means doing things like eating a contract in order to remove the bad apples like CV from your team, moving guys like Daye that don't fit in with the new model you're striving to build, making draft day trades, buying an extra pick, and so on.

This is my opinion, I understand that, but as an 11 year season ticket holder this is what I'm looking for in order for Joe to even have a shred of a chance to rebuild his reputation and for Gores to show me that he means business as an owner.

I highly doubt this is true. Worse contracts have been traded. Really what I meant though, is that his salary can be used to make the numbers work. Not that a team would take him because they wanted him. For example, a trade for someone like Okafor or someone else who is a bigger, worse contact.

Here is the thing. Yes, CV *could* be traded, but I think the point being made is that CV has negative value in any trade. No team has any interest in him as a player at his salary. If he were a free agent, I don't even know if a team would sign him for more than 1M, and that would probably be on a flier that he *might* surprise everyone and contribute rather than the notion that he is a planned part of the rotation at the time of signing.

In any event, the only way he gets traded is if it is a straight exchange of crappy salaries, which doesn't really benefit the Pistons, or if he is added with a player of value (e.g. Knight) to make salaries match. And even then, you are probably getting less in return than had you just traded the player of value by himself alone rather than packaged with CV.

As such, I think his is practically untradeable, because he has no trade value.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

I understand your points, but I feel that this team needs to show something. And by "this team" I mean Joe and Gores. They need to show that they're trying to go the extra mile to make a positive change and correct the errors of the past. That doesn't mean sitting around and accepting the status quo.

It means doing things like eating a contract in order to remove the bad apples like CV from your team, moving guys like Daye that don't fit in with the new model you're striving to build, making draft day trades, buying an extra pick, and so on.

This is my opinion, I understand that, but as an 11 year season ticket holder this is what I'm looking for in order for Joe to even have a shred of a chance to rebuild his reputation and for Gores to show me that he means business as an owner.

Well put.

Apparently, according to Hoopshype, Dalembert and pick 16 are being shopped to a mystery team. That combo would be from Houston. I'd take a nibble if they took back a bad contract. Charlie V? I don't see Houston making that deal though.

Edit to add, Detroit would give back #9 in the above scenario

Apparently, according to Hoopshype, Dalembert and pick 16 are being shopped to a mystery team. That combo would be from Houston. I'd take a nibble if they took back a bad contract. Charlie V? I don't see Houston making that deal though.

Edit to add, Detroit would give back #9 in the above scenario

This would be a major score, IMO. Would anyone object to including our 2013 first rounder being included in this deal? IMO, we should finish close to being the 16th pick next year barring catastrophe/major unseen evolution and this draft will be deeper than next. It would be almost too good to be true if they took CV, but I've seen worse deals.

Honestly in th end I am totally ok with amnestying CV. As long as it doesn't take us below the salary cap, costing us our MLE(it won't take us below it enough to match the MLE).

Here is the thing. Yes, CV *could* be traded, but I think the point being made is that CV has negative value in any trade. No team has any interest in him as a player at his salary. If he were a free agent, I don't even know if a team would sign him for more than 1M, and that would probably be on a flier that he *might* surprise everyone and contribute rather than the notion that he is a planned part of the rotation at the time of signing.

In any event, the only way he gets traded is if it is a straight exchange of crappy salaries, which doesn't really benefit the Pistons, or if he is added with a player of value (e.g. Knight) to make salaries match. And even then, you are probably getting less in return than had you just traded the player of value by himself alone rather than packaged with CV.

As such, I think his is practically untradeable, because he has no trade value.

I get your point, I'm just saying situations can come up. A swap of bad contracts can sometimes be beneficial. A change of scenery and schemes for each player is sometimes all it takes. Or maybe you just need to close the gap and make the numbers owrk in a larger deal. I don't think you are taking negative value in that situation, or in a deal for someone like Knight. You don't do it if so. There are very few viable options for getting something useful in trade for CV and his deal. There are zero if you amnesty him though.

I get your point, I'm just saying situations can come up. A swap of bad contracts can sometimes be beneficial. A change of scenery and schemes for each player is sometimes all it takes.

And maybe Salma Hayek decides I am the studliest dude around and my wife agrees so we all live in peace and harmony. It can happen.

lol, whatever I guess. Trades like this happen a lot in the NBA though.

I'm going to go with my gut feeling here and say that CV has a better chance of being dealt in the next few months over Biggs getting in with my Ms. Hayek Charlie Sheen-style.

I'm going to go with my gut feeling here and say that CV has a better chance of being dealt in the next few months over Biggs getting in with my Ms. Hayek Charlie Sheen-style.

The former is more likely than the latter.

But overall neither case is likely.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

Detroit has traded Ben Gordon and a protected future first-round pick to Charlotte for Corey Maggette, league sources tell Y! Sports.

Retweeted by Jeff Goodman

Probably deserves its own thread:

Chris Sheridan ‏@sheridanhoops

Update in our news: Ben Gordon & protected future 1st round pick traded for Corey Maggette, according to Woj:

Wonder how protected that pick is.

I cannot believe someone took Ben Gordon of our hands. Now we can amnesty Charlie V. Wow.

Maggette is an expiring too

For Detroit, deal to ship out Gordon saves them nearly $15 million on the final two years of his contract. Maggette has an expiring deal.

The deal sends Detroit's 2013 first-round pick to Charlotte with lottery protection, sources tell Y!

Probably deserves its own thread:

Chris Sheridan ‏@sheridanhoops

Update in our news: Ben Gordon & protected future 1st round pick traded for Corey Maggette, according to Woj:

Wonder how protected that pick is.

It's lotto protected.

Sam Amick ‏@sam_amick

According to source, the pick is lottery protected next year, top 8 in 2014, No. 1 protected in 2015 and unprotected in 2016

I really don't know what the hell went through Charlotte's minds....

There are all these Maggette is a bum knocks, but when you look at his 57% career TS% and the fact he has lived at the line, you kinda wonder what happened. He should be a better player that helps win you some games.

So we could have something around $22 million coming off the books after next year, if Maxiell doesn't exercise his $5 million player option. Last time we had that much money to use under the cap....wait, nevermind....

ESPN misled me. please ignore this.

when i saw this trade, i thought the pistons were the team giving up the pick, and i thought it was a decent deal. then i got my reading comprehension skills back and realized that the pistons are receiving the pick, and i was floored. i can't believe that anyone would give up a 1st round pick for gordon under any circumstances.

Edited by zimm

when i saw this trade, i thought the pistons were the team giving up the pick, and i thought it was a decent deal. then i got my reading comprehension skills back and realized that the pistons are receiving the pick, and i was floored. i can't believe that anyone would give up a 1st round pick for gordon under any circumstances.

Don't think this is right. Everything I've seen says we sent Gordon & a lottery protected 1st round pick to the Bobcats for Maggette. We're not getting any picks back.

Great trade for us. I understand it for Charlotte too. If we do make the playoffs, we will be an 8 seed at best so they get a solid pick. Otherwise, stockpiling picks makes sense. They are probably drafting Barnes for SF and they need a SG who can hit 3s to pair with Henderson. They take on one extra year of salary and its not like they were about to sign Dwight Howard with that money.

Either way, I'm glad Gordon is gone. We do need a scoring 2/3 now, hopefully who is 5 inches taller than Gordon though. I don't see a Charlie V amnesty coming though, it would probalby just cost us our MLE best case.

Don't think this is right. Everything I've seen says we sent Gordon & a lottery protected 1st round pick to the Bobcats for Maggette. We're not getting any picks back.

stupid espn. their headline on the front page is "Bobcats Package Maggette, Pick for Gordon." the text of the article indicates otherwise.