redshark63

Delmon Young arrested for fighting in NYC

It always amazed me how a lot of Tiger fans disregarded Delmon Young's tenure in Minnesota and just saw the two months he was with Detroit. He was a non-tender candidate for the Twins and they traded him to a division rival for nothing. Can't believe they brought him back

Sure, but what was his arrest record like?

When the GM fails to pick up the necessary pieces and the manager listens to a player say I wont DH I want to play in the field. You don't have many choices

This team has a lot of holes, and they start with management on down

Delmon Young avoided arbitration hourse before Victor Martinez went down to injury. They signed him with the plan of starting him everyday in LF. It was stupid. He wasn't and isn't a good player. They could have taken his salary and tried to find a better 2B

There is plenty to see here, yoda. Shoving a guy to the ground outside a hotel at 3am the day of a game and being so drunk as to have to go the hospital prior to arrest is pretty significant.

I'd put him on the restricted list today.

Makes me wonder who he was out with.

Huge deal that he was that drunk and being an idiot, not a big deal that he pushed a guy and the dude fell down. The other guy may have been drunk as well. Maybe he lost his balance. Who knows. Pushing someone isn't a big deal though and I doubt he'll be charged with much of anything. It's not like he beat the life out of him.

not only that but Delmon has ghost written a 3 volume history of WWII which includes many historical inaccuracies and leads credence to the revisionist school.

And now with the anti-Semitic stuff.

Goodbye, Delmon. Don't let the door hit you.

He probably just wanted to walk by the guy, but didn't know how.

Yes.

So now he's a liability off the field too, huh? Grea-a-a-at.

Yes.

Fail.

But its nice to know he finally made contact.

Yes.

so you were worried we'd sign him for a long term deal?

Hopefully this will quell any ideas that he ought to be signed long-term.

He was probably out drinking trying to get over the Tigers cutting his pal Inge.

Just came to post this, so yes.

There is plenty to see here, yoda. Shoving a guy to the ground outside a hotel at 3am the day of a game and being so drunk as to have to go the hospital prior to arrest is pretty significant.

I'd put him on the restricted list today.

Makes me wonder who he was out with.

Totally, on all counts.

Oh my heck! The Delmon Young issue and the Inge issue resolved in two days!

Maybe.

I was basically at the 51% level with delmon going into the season, and the fact that this happened the night that they got in to new York and coming off of a 1-6 stretch, well, I guess my support has dropped below 50%.

Quite a bit below for me.

DY gets suspended, and Worth is probably already on his way to NY.

Oh, I sure hope so.

Huge deal that he was that drunk and being an idiot, not a big deal that he pushed a guy and the dude fell down. The other guy may have been drunk as well. Maybe he lost his balance. Who knows. Pushing someone isn't a big deal though and I doubt he'll be charged with much of anything. It's not like he beat the life out of him.

The other guy probably was drunk. It was on a street at 2:40. Fortunately for him, there are laws against that sort of stuff anyway. You don't have to get severely beat up to have a legal type beef.

The whole thing about Delmon using some anti-Semitic slurs on this guy pushes it over the edge for me. That's not the sort of culture I care to see surrounding baseball at all, and especially the Tigers.

Also, E7.

It's not a big deal that a human being pushed another human being down. The guy might even have provoked him. It's a big deal because a major league player needs to know how to avoid these situations (especially in NY city) and how to handle them if they do arise. The vast majority of MLB players do not have this kind of incident happen during their careers.

Right. He probably just lost his balance.

I wish Sandy Koufax were in his prime and pitching for the Yankees for one game.

Delmon would be the leadoff hitter.

remember the 2006 Tigers also had a member of the Young family spin out of control in their midst.

Right. He probably just lost his balance.

And got misinterpreted. And was just out trying to get some warm milk because he coudln't fall asleep at 3am. And his past transgressions are probably mostly fabricated as well.

Cut him. Most obvious of the three necessary cuts (Schlereth and Inge being the other two) in this young season.

Seems like you gotta release him at this point. It's not like he is Fielder or Cabrera where the decision is hard cause they are stars. Seems pretty easy choice at this point.

remember the 2006 Tigers also had a member of the Young family spin out of control in their midst.

So you're saying the Tigers are World Series bound?

I was thinking the same thing. I dunno if Delmon is an alcoholic, but Dmitri is (by his own admission). So the question at least has to be asked if he has the same problem.

I wish Sandy Koufax were in his prime and pitching for the Yankees for one game.

Delmon would be the leadoff hitter.

Koufax was a very gentle person who rarely hit a batter even when he had control problems earlier in his career. He probably just would have struck him out four times instead.

It's not a big deal that a human being pushed another human being down. The guy might even have provoked him.

It is a big deal that someone pushed someone else down. It's like almost getting hit by a car (like I did on my bike yesterday) in that it may not do any real harm but it's out of the ordinary enough to tell your acquaintances about.

And who cares if the guy provoked him? Even if the guy called Delmon some variety of racial slur, prompting Delmon to do the same, that's not grounds for dropping a guy. Not much is in the 21st century.

At least Tiger's players are loose before big series! Can't say this team stresses over big match-ups.

This only hurts Delmon. He's going to be a free-agent and he's throwing away lots of big time cash.