RedRamage

In the second round of the 2012 Draft the Lions....

Like Mel Kiper said before he was injured he was on par with Justin Blackmon. Todd McShay said the Lions got "an absolute gift" when he fell to them. I have no problem with this pick at all.

Like Mel Kiper said before he was injured he was on par with Justin Blackmon. Todd McShay said the Lions got "an absolute gift" when he fell to them. I have no problem with this pick at all.

Same here.

And what I noticed in the write-ups is that he is another guy with "great character" and "tough as nails". I think Mayhew is still looking for guys who are not only talented, but great team leaders. Which helps the locker room, and helps steer some guys onto the "right" path (sometimes, but not always... looking at you Fairley, LeShoure, and Culbreath...)

Would have preferred Lavonte David but Broyles could turn out to be the biggest steal of this Draft. He was graded as a late 1st/early 2nd before his injury and the Lions obviously feel comfortable with his ACL.

Can't wait to see him play

This is a great pick, he was a first round talent before his injury. The only legitimate knock in him is his height. He's got a good build, he's an excellent route runner, best hands in the draft, has 4.4 speed, very good at creating seperation, he's a hard worker and has impecable character. He's a faster Wes Welker, he'll get us first downs when we need them so our offense doesn't stall out when we can't run the ball. A lot of people were pounding the table for CB, but this pick is far more valuable considering the players that were available.

More on the ACL, remember Pettigrew tore his in late November as well, he came back and had a great year last year. Also, Welker tore his ACL and MCL in January of 2010, he came back the next season and was productive, playing in 15 games and starting 11. AP tore his in late December and will be ready for game 1. The fact that Broyles ran a 4.57 just 5 months after surgery shows his dedication to recovery and I believe he'll be ready for TC come August.

I love this pick. Nate won't be around much longer so they need someone to take his place when he is gone. And Young seemed to be more of a down field receiver last year and not your typical slot guy.

And I know we needed CB help and all but excuse me for not wanting to take a chance on a guy from Vanderbilt or Montana. Maybe they have just as much talent as someone who went to an Bama but I don't personally like taking chances on guys I don't really know in the 2nd round.

Who's the last guy who tore an ACL when he was under 30 and didn't recover? Two now isn't good, but I don't think you ignore guys in the draft because of ACLs. Broyles was clearly a steal based on talent.

Pettigrew tore ACLs in both knees, right?

I'm still fine with the pick. He looked very good running routes and could compliment CJ well if healthy.

Sucks and unfortunate but not a blown pick. Broyles played really well for us this season.

Lets just hope he comes back strong!

STOP TAKING INJURY RISK PLAYERS!!!!!!!

and in the second round of the 2013 NFL draft, the Detroit Lions select ANOTHER wide receiver...

and in the second round of the 2013 NFL draft, the Detroit Lions select ANOTHER wide receiver...

Pretty sure every player can be categorized as "injury risk" in the NFL. It was his other knee this time around and it could have happened to any player. Do you want the front office to avoid drafting any player that has had any sort of injury in their high school or college career? Wouldn't be very many players left to pick from.

This whole theory gets entirely overblown.

This whole theory gets entirely overblown.

I don't think it does at all. Some people are more brittle than others. If you know the NBA look at someone like Brandon Roy or Greg Oden, two young healthy guys who have now had about a dozen knee surgeries between them. Broyles appears to have weak knees as well, both ACLs have been blown out.

Best had a history of concussions, now his career may be over because of concussions. Broyles, to me, was a reach because of this. Now we have to wait another year to see if he can rebound...again.

And there seems to be a lot of exaggeration about Broyles and how good he was this year, he had 22 catches for just over 300 yards. I doubt if he ever has an impact as a lion.

You know who else had an extensive injury history?

Adrian Peterson.

In some cases, like Roy and Oden, it's a legit concern. (I'll add Best as well).

Not every case is the same.

Hell, look at Dejuan Blair. He hs NO ACL's and he hasn't missed any significant time.

You know who else had an extensive injury history?

Adrian Peterson.

In some cases, like Roy and Oden, it's a legit concern. (I'll add Best as well).

Not every case is the same.

Hell, look at Dejuan Blair. He hs NO ACL's and he hasn't missed any significant time.

I agree. My position is that there should be no sweeping declaration one way or the other. I just think that injury history is a legit thing, and when making personnel decisions, these types of things should be considered. I am sure the Lions considered it, but I think they made the wrong decision after their consideration.

Every case is different, is Broyles' case we now have some evidence: both his ACLs have torn. So when he recovers, what is the risk that he is injured again?

The issue is not just taking players with an injury risk, it's taking risks when drafting. Best was an injury risk, Broyles was an injury risk (though I'm not sure being weak-kneed is a real thing; he just got unlucky tearing the other ACL), Jason Fox was an injury risk, but Titus Young and Nick Fairley were character risks (and I'd bet there were red flags about Leshoure). Of these risky picks, only Fairley is producing at expectations.

Also, my sense is that Schwartz thinks he's smarter than everyone else, and perhaps prone to making risky picks thinking he can outsmart people on draft day.