Motor City Sonics

With the 23rd Pick of the first round the Detroit Lions select T Riley Reiff

What a reach! Thanks Vikings!

I heard some analyst say today Harrison Smith is underrated because the Irish secondary is so bad. Well, why is their secondary so bad if this guy is in it?

He'll certainly be better than Konz.

Who do you like better, Rieff or Zeitler? What about Glenn or Rieff?

I love Zeitler as a player, but for the Lions it would have to be Rieff, who obviously fills the need, especially if they can't re-sign Cherilus next year.

Don't forget about Jason Fox. Hopefully he can finally stay healthy and help the Lions on the line this season.

Here is how the Lions draft now. They pick 200 players, they rank them 1-200, regardless of position (with a few exceptions).......if Riley was the next available guy in their rankings then they take them. Obviously they ranked him higher than DeCastro and Uphsaw and others. It's a very easy way to draft - and its the right way too.

Is this really true? If it is, then I am impressed. Jake Long is at least 6-7 I think. Reiff is 6-5 and some change.

Reiff has 33 1/4" arms, Long and Thomas have 33" arms. DeCastro has 32 3/8 " arms.

Dumb spell check

Don't forget about Jason Fox. Hopefully he can finally stay healthy and help the Lions on the line this season.

Yeah, and Kyle Sleeth will be in the rotation for the Tigers. Are you high right now?

Martin M is quickly becomming this town's best General Manager. Got good value and a kid that played for one of the best O line coaches in the country in Ferentz. Reiff will be a 10 year starter in the league ... good pick again Mayhew.

Yeah, and Kyle Sleeth will be in the rotation for the Tigers. Are you high right now?

Kenny Baugh Cy Young Winner in 2013.

Martin M is quickly becomming this town's best General Manager. Got good value and a kid that played for one of the best O line coaches in the country in Ferentz. Reiff will be a 10 year starter in the league ... good pick again Mayhew.

I'd agree with you if the Red Wings had any other GM than Ken Holland... the best GM in professional sports.

I keep hearing about Reiff's arms, but arent they longer than Joe Thomas' and Jake Long's?

LOL EXACTLY what I was coming here to say.

This is a FANTASTIC pick a locks down the left side for years. Mayhew nails it once again. Love this guy.

Wonder if the Lions trade up to grab someone like David or Konz in the early 2nd.

I would love to get David. If he was a little bigger, he would be a 1st rd pick IMO.

Side note: He has drawn comparisons to Derrick Brooks. Doesn't really mean much but that is some high praise.

Forget Janoris Jenkins I've made an adjustment to my initial selection...

Trade:

Lions acquire Antonio Cromartie, the 2nd and the 3rd round picks from the NY Jets.

Jets acquire the Lions 23rd pick and the Lions 5th round pick.

I think I heard you on 97.1 today with that prediction.

EDIT: Just realized that read as sarcastic. I really heard someone propose that exact same trade on 97.1.

Edited by sagnam

Great value...it's not the flashy, sexy pick that we're used to, but it's an amazing pick. No one was talking about us taking him, that's bc no one thought there was a chance he'd be there much like the Fairly pick last year. There were plenty of mocks with us taking Glenn or Adams or Konz or Martin, Rieff is head and shoulders better than every one of those players. He's a 10 year starting caliber LT, drafted at 23, that's ridiculous.

On another note, this is the 2nd time NE has traded ahead of us and taken the player I wanted us to draft, they did it with Chandler Jones today and Jarrod Mayo a few years back.

Great first round pick. DeCastro would have been just as great.

If they can get a CB in the second round that is an equally good value -- someone who probably should go quite a bit earlier than 23rd in that round -- then they have already had a fine draft. Since the draft is said to be deep in second-third round CBs, there's a real chance this happens.

But we'll see how good Mayhew really is when we see how the picks in rounds 3 and later turn out from last year and this year. If some of these guys don't turn out to be average NFL starters or better, he's not doing what the great GMs do. In his first three drafts he's only drafted one guy after round 2 who arguably fits this description -- Levy. It's a small sample, and players have been injured, and they've traded a lot of those picks -- but that's not a good record. Especially with two guys soaking up so much payroll (and Suh to follow), the Lions have to get a lot more out of those rounds if they're going to have enough talent to compete.

Ok...just to establish bias....I'm a Hawkeye.

Anyone complaining about us picking Reiff at NUMBER 23 has no clue what they are talking about. Was established as a top 10 pick for the entire draft.

I was hoping and praying all day that he would have a Bulaga experience and somehow drop into the 20's and the Lions would get them. My friends and I got kicked out of the bar we were so excited to see the Lions get him.

He graded out his senior year better than Bulaga, he should be the starting RT right away. I don't know if he will be a dominant LT, but will be on this team as long as they can continue to sign him.

Iowa just makes lineman, if you don't want a Gallery, Steinbach, Yanda, Bulaga etc. on your team just stfu.

And I'm almost pissed that MC24 agrees with me that this is a great pick :)

The NFL is really milking the clock. If they don't start announcing the picks quicker once we get below 10, it is going to suck.

I don't think they were milking the clock. I think the first picks take a while to get to the podium and the NFL wasn't ready for so many quick trades and quick picks. Hard to blame them for that, things have never moved like it before. I bet they will have it worked out next year.

Ok...just to establish bias....I'm a Hawkeye.

Anyone complaining about us picking Reiff at NUMBER 23 has no clue what they are talking about. Was established as a top 10 pick for the entire draft.

I was hoping and praying all day that he would have a Bulaga experience and somehow drop into the 20's and the Lions would get them. My friends and I got kicked out of the bar we were so excited to see the Lions get him.

He graded out his senior year better than Bulaga, he should be the starting RT right away. I don't know if he will be a dominant LT, but will be on this team as long as they can continue to sign him.

Iowa just makes lineman, if you don't want a Gallery, Steinbach, Yanda, Bulaga etc. on your team just stfu.

And I'm almost pissed that MC24 agrees with me that this is a great pick :)

What a great group of linemen?

Great first round pick. DeCastro would have been just as great.

If they can get a CB in the second round that is an equally good value -- someone who probably should go quite a bit earlier than 23rd in that round -- then they have already had a fine draft. Since the draft is said to be deep in second-third round CBs, there's a real chance this happens.

But we'll see how good Mayhew really is when we see how the picks in rounds 3 and later turn out from last year and this year. If some of these guys don't turn out to be average NFL starters or better, he's not doing what the great GMs do. In his first three drafts he's only drafted one guy after round 2 who arguably fits this description -- Levy. It's a small sample, and players have been injured, and they've traded a lot of those picks -- but that's not a good record. Especially with two guys soaking up so much payroll (and Suh to follow), the Lions have to get a lot more out of those rounds if they're going to have enough talent to compete.

From 2009: Sammy Lee Hill. Lydon Murtha has played a bit in Miami

From 2010: 3rd rounder Spievey is a starting safety, 7th rounder Willie Young has contributed quite a bit, they traded a 5th rounder for Corey Williams, they traded another 5th rounder and a player for Rob Simms, and they traded a 6th and 7th for Chris Houston.

From 2011: They traded a 6th round pick for Lawerence Jackson, who has contributed quite a bit as well.

That's not bad. Sure they haven't hit any homeruns in the later rounds, but considering that they haven't had many 3-5 picks in Meyhew's career he's done OK. In 2011 they only had 2 picks after the 2nd round (5,7), in 2010 they only had 4 (3,5,7,7), and 2009 they had a ton (3,3,4,6,7,7,7). That's 3-3's, 1-4, 2-5's, 1-6, and 7-7's in 3 years.

In my opinion, he's hit on 2 for sure (Hill and Spievey), and probably Young as well. His trades have been great value too. Simms, Houston, Williams, and Jackson are all solid.

I don't think they were milking the clock. I think the first picks take a while to get to the podium and the NFL wasn't ready for so many quick trades and quick picks. Hard to blame them for that, things have never moved like it before. I bet they will have it worked out next year.

I agree. I think the big time suck was the photo ops the chosen players had with Goodell. The players attending all came on stage, hugged RG, and took many pics. Meanwhile, picks were piling up behind him.

I'd agree with you if the Red Wings had any other GM than Ken Holland... the best GM in professional sports.

Why? The RedWings aren't quite so good as the salary cap wears off.

Why compare baseball with football? Totally unrelated.

Do you remember how another member of the Lions was injured quite a bit for two seasons but came back last season and helped them out?

Before Fox was injured, he was supposedly looking really good and was going to contribute on the line.

FWIW

Peter King ‏ @SI_PeterKing

RT@Mickey2Cents: Lions make a good choice? Was DeCastro the better pick? ... Reiff better. Opening-day 2013 LT.