Motor City Sonics

With the 23rd Pick of the first round the Detroit Lions select T Riley Reiff

I don't understand people complaining about the Reiff pick. We had a lot of great players to choose from, Reiff was one of them, and DeCastro wasn't head and shoulders above them all.

People have been bitching for years to get Backus' replacement. They finally do, and people are still bitching. Amazing.

I can see your point, Backus haters have been pretty vocal. I like Decastro, but my hate for Dom and Peterman might be fueling that. I think both are liabilities.

Mark Schlereth just suggested moving Backus to Guard and plugging Reiff in his spot.

I don't understand people complaining about the Reiff pick. We had a lot of great players to choose from, Reiff was one of them, and DeCastro wasn't head and shoulders above them all.

People have been bitching for years to get Backus' replacement. They finally do, and people are still bitching. Amazing.

People ***** about Backus because he wasn't that good (although he got better the last couple years), why should we be happy if they replaced him with someone who we don't think is going to be any better?

Rieff may end up playing guard in a couple years. or right tackle. His arms are too short for your typical left tackles.

I would rather have had them take Mike flippin adams.

People are bitching because he's not a true Left Tackle. We may have drafted a RT which we have a definate need on Defense WAAAAAAAAY more than RT. A true LT is a definate need. Or Cornerback or another Safety. RT is wayyyyyyy down the list. That's why no one is totally estatic. At least, thats why I'm not estatic.

Prediction: Zeitler will be a better player than DeCastro and Konz.

He'll certainly be better than Konz.

Who do you like better, Rieff or Zeitler? What about Glenn or Rieff?

I keep hearing about Reiff's arms, but arent they longer than Joe Thomas' and Jake Long's?

I think they will put Reiff at RT, and kick Cherilus into guard, which is a position he was projected to be able to play when he came out, get Petermen out, improve two positions.

It's too bad this ends in 20 minutes or so. I have enjoyed the pace. Well done, NFL.

Aside from all the bitching, would anyone care to explain why this reif guy sucks and the other guy is so great?

I'm assuming the lions were aware of the other linemen available and the skill of their current options.

I keep hearing about Reiff's arms, but arent they longer than Joe Thomas' and Jake Long's?

They are, but heh he's got short arms damn it he can't be any good.

In fairness to the lions, Rieff was projected by most as a top 15 pick who fell.

All I care about is that Reiff is a good lineman. If that is at guard or right tackle, then I am happy with the pick. The reason I like DeCastro so much is that he has more upside, is a better player, and is a safer pick than Reiff. The only reason I can think to take Reiff over him is all the talk I hear about Reiff as our future left tackle. But I am not sure what makes Reiff a better future left tackle prospect than a player like DeCastro. It seems to me the only difference is Reiff played left tackle in college and DeCastro did not. Ability wise, does Reiff have more potential at left tackle than DeCastro?

Aside from all the bitching, would anyone care to explain why this reif guy sucks and the other guy is so great?

I'm assuming the lions were aware of the other linemen available and the skill of their current options.

Probably because he is from Iowa, otherwise every evaluator and the Lions themselves had him ranked higher then a guard. Guards are like relief pitchers, failed tackles move to guards, as failed starting pitchers move to relief, how many guards in college turn out to be forces in the NFL anyway, most guards in the NFL were tackles at least in college.

They are, but heh he's got short arms damn it he can't be any good.

Is this really true? If it is, then I am impressed. Jake Long is at least 6-7 I think. Reiff is 6-5 and some change.

Just talked to my best friend who was high school lineman for Craig Krenzel. He loves this pick, predicts we'll trade up for a corner next pick. I consider him my own personal Kiper.

I'd love a CB in round #2

Schwartz and Mayhew said Reiff was highest on their board and can play 4 OL positions.

I always love how teams have to point out they got the highest rated player on their board. Duh...